How To Handle This Situation?

Topic locked
How to handle this situation? Dec 18, 2008
There are many companies who are actually not hit by the crisis, and still doing good ( because of the nature of business & financial strength).
One of the companies I know, still threatens its employees saying that due to economic crisis, they will not provide bonus, increment etc .They say that they will not do job cuts but will cut any increase in salary and other perks.

But every employee knows that the company is doing very good and will go financially strong in worst economic situations. What can an employee do in this situation?

kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 18, 2008
Nothing.
If the employee doesn't like it he/she can leave. Personally I wouldn't wanna work for a dishonest company and who is trying to screw over employees anyway
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 18, 2008
typical answer k-dog

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Dec 18, 2008
It’s not always easy to look at some of these issues as simply black and white, particularly in the UAE. It’s easy to say, “Screw the employer he’s a toss I’m not going to take it; I’m looking for another job”. Most of those affected by decisions like this are the people who are at the bottom of the pyramid, those who don’t have any other options open to them and those that will be banned if they were to leave. Add to that strike action is illegal and “civil unrest” will get you arrested and deported however just you thought your action was.

The sad fact is that there are companies who would take advantage of the “crisis” to benefit their own bottom line, the other observation would be that it they did this now, they were probably not much of a good employer to start off with! Leopards don’t change their spots!

On the flip side, contracted employees need to bear in mind that when they sign of the dotted line for 3 year contract the terms are fixed for the 3 years (unless specifically specified), this means that bonuses and annual increments are not part of a normal package as they have come to be accepted in other areas of the world.

The other thing is “every employee knows that the company is doing very good and will go financially strong in worst economic situations”.

Unless you are the owner of the company or CFO there is no way that you can know this, the perception from staff is that the company is always strong, the bosses get paid too much and do to little work – this is, as I said a perception and not necessarily fact and in the UAE everything is about appearance and perception!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 18, 2008
It’s not always easy to look at some of these issues as simply black and white, particularly in the UAE. It’s easy to say, “Screw the employer he’s a toss I’m not going to take it; I’m looking for another job”. Most of those affected by decisions like this are the people who are at the bottom of the pyramid, those who don’t have any other options open to them and those that will be banned if they were to leave. Add to that strike action is illegal and “civil unrest” will get you arrested and deported however just you thought your action was.

The sad fact is that there are companies who would take advantage of the “crisis” to benefit their own bottom line, the other observation would be that it they did this now, they were probably not much of a good employer to start off with! Leopards don’t change their spots!

On the flip side, contracted employees need to bear in mind that when they sign of the dotted line for 3 year contract the terms are fixed for the 3 years (unless specifically specified), this means that bonuses and annual increments are not part of a normal package as they have come to be accepted in other areas of the world.

The other thing is “every employee knows that the company is doing very good and will go financially strong in worst economic situations”.

Unless you are the owner of the company or CFO there is no way that you can know this, the perception from staff is that the company is always strong, the bosses get paid too much and do to little work – this is, as I said a perception and not necessarily fact and in the UAE everything is about appearance and perception!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 18, 2008
It is always because of the Employer. Yes, some employer are good and some are not. Like my company, they get rid of some employees which is Lazy, Bad attitude, No accomplishment(s) etc. But they gave some early race for some of us. And they said that it is not because of the recession why they are removing people but to clean the company.
spirophonix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2008
dbxsoul wrote:It’s not always easy to look at some of these issues as simply black and white, particularly in the UAE. It’s easy to say, “Screw the employer he’s a toss I’m not going to take it; I’m looking for another job”. Most of those affected by decisions like this are the people who are at the bottom of the pyramid, those who don’t have any other options open to them and those that will be banned if they were to leave. Add to that strike action is illegal and “civil unrest” will get you arrested and deported however just you thought your action was.

thanks dbxsoul.Well said. But it looks like you are on the management side in some company :) anyways, our bosses sure do little work and earn more..no doubt about it-it is nor a perception but truth..We are sure. But at the same time, it doesn't mean that all bosses are like this.There are a few good ones.

Also, we see the achievement...and also we know what we achieved.So we need not be the CFo of the company to know this, coz we know the millions we achieved for the company..

Anyways..God bless & no one should lose their job in DUbai & also no one should get paid low....
kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai