Do All Locals Work This Way

Topic locked
Do all locals work this way Jan 22, 2006
Hi,

I got a call from one of my friends working with one of the international banks in the recovery section. Shes recently joined the bank and has quickly grasped the work and is working quite satisfactorily for a newbie.

The only concern is that nearly all the girls in this department are local and she is the only Indian. When it comes to training the team lead explains everything in arabic and she has to literally beg to understand the things. The girls who have been working for quite sometime in that department dump their tedious work on her and keep chatting amongst themselves.She hasnt been provided with a official email ID as yet by her team lead and doesnt get the updates, and the same team lead questions her about the updates and if she doesnt know it screams at her.For the work done by her the incentives go to othe people who are officially handling the account.

But a couple of girls are good and at times they try and make her comfertable and explain her what she needs.

When she called me today she was in tears and was not able to understand why she gets such a treatment if she does her work even with minimum resources.

Agreed that shes from India, is not a local but then even shes a human and deserves a better treatment.

I had a good image of locals till now, and i know there are good people out there, but such small incidents make you think about your opinion.

Take care,

Jerry

Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 22, 2006
Very sad to hear that J

Hope it all works out ok.

THis would not be tollerated in the UK, there are employment laws protecting any individual in the workplace, whatever their colour, religion or ethnic origin.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 22, 2006
arniegang wrote:Very sad to hear that J

Hope it all works out ok.

THis would not be tollerated in the UK, there are employment laws protecting any individual in the workplace, whatever their colour, religion or ethnic origin.

I hope so Arnie, the girl is really shaken up and the experience has been so bad with her that shes planning to quit the job .

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 22, 2006
Sorry for what happened to your friend Jerry. It aint nice when something like this happens to anyone. Hope it will work out just fine...
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 22, 2006
That's bad to be in your workplace :evil:

I advise here to start looking for a new job from now as there is no solution other than quiting.
Pals
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 22, 2006
i dunno pals,
i dont think quitting is a solution, but then in a foreign country their rules apply and i dont think there are many rules which would favour a employee here.

but then i feel for that girl, its difficult for her to cope with it.

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 22, 2006
Yeah she must be feeling down in the dumps...i feel for her! its not a nice feeling when you keep getting crap from bosses! :( Tell her to also get involved in the girls group or do they also speak in Arabic aswell? or just tell the team leader listen matey them girls over their keep giving me bare work!!! easy to say hard to do i know! she could find another job first and then get out of this one!
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006
That sucks. But its just the begining. Tell her to be patient and things may change for the better for her inshallah.

In the meantime, tell her to raise her head up high with confidence in herself and smile.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Do all locals work this way Jan 23, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Hi,

I got a call from one of my friends working with one of the international banks in the recovery section. Shes recently joined the bank and has quickly grasped the work and is working quite satisfactorily for a newbie.

The only concern is that nearly all the girls in this department are local and she is the only Indian. When it comes to training the team lead explains everything in arabic and she has to literally beg to understand the things. The girls who have been working for quite sometime in that department dump their tedious work on her and keep chatting amongst themselves.She hasnt been provided with a official email ID as yet by her team lead and doesnt get the updates, and the same team lead questions her about the updates and if she doesnt know it screams at her.For the work done by her the incentives go to othe people who are officially handling the account.

But a couple of girls are good and at times they try and make her comfertable and explain her what she needs.

When she called me today she was in tears and was not able to understand why she gets such a treatment if she does her work even with minimum resources.

Agreed that shes from India, is not a local but then even shes a human and deserves a better treatment.

I had a good image of locals till now, and i know there are good people out there, but such small incidents make you think about your opinion.

Take care,

Jerry

well ask her to leave the goddamn job and get another one, I am aware of the ban imposition but she can complain the labour department if that works.. :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
lets see how things work out for her, shes gonna hang in there for some more time , tinkerbella the team lead is local as well and heads the group, like i said a couple of local girls are good and try to help her out discreetly but then how long will this carry on??.

even shes contemplating on quitiing the job and look for another one.

lets see...

jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
Oh no thats horrible then! Tell her to rise above it! and be strong until she finds another job...hope she does get out of that place and be happy somewhere else! :)
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006
Such kind of attitude is sick. How can u angry or get rude on person who is not in the position to respond u in same way.

local girls must be sick in their head , the targedy wid them is that " no matter how rich they are ,they can not even show their new dresses to public because it is always under Black Burqa " :P.
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 23, 2006
HP wrote:local girls must be sick in their head , the targedy wid them is that " no matter how rich they are ,they can not even show their new dresses to public because it is always under Black Burqa " :P.

1) Its called an Abaya

2) Thank you for generalizing about local girls. I happen to know quite a few and they are charming and sweet.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
1) Its called an Abaya

2) Thank you for generalizing about local girls. I happen to know quite a few and they are charming and sweet.

they must be 7 years old :P
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 23, 2006
HP wrote:
1) Its called an Abaya

they must be 7 years old :P

Funny... Remind me to laugh next time.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 24, 2006
The girl has decided to let go off the job as soon as she gets paid for this month.:(.

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 24, 2006
Such a shame. I still think she should have stuck it out a little longer. Its harder than average to get adjusted into a job here especially in an Arab environment when you are not Arab. Hell even if you are Arab its not necessarly easy.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 24, 2006
Jeevan wrote:The girl has decided to let go off the job as soon as she gets paid for this month.:(.

Jerry

That's bad, I believe she should wait until she get's another one.
Pals
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai