Air Ticket?

Topic locked
Air ticket? Jan 29, 2009
Is providing annual air ticket mandatory as per UAE law or is it just hte medical insurance? Also how many sick leave are the employees entitled per year apart from the annual vacation?

Any experienced HR person please enlighten me!

Mayflower
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 29, 2009
PM me your emailadress and i will send you the pdf labour law.

AFAIK air ticket is depending on your contract, basic H I is law?
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2009
Return air tickets each year is not mandatory, the employer is only compelled to provide a return ticket/ repatriation flight (to point of origin) on successful completion of the labour contract.

If the contract is broken early the provision falls away and the onus is on the employee to pay repatriation fees. In the event of death of the employee, the employer is to cover repatriation of the deceased’s remains.

If you are already in the country when you enter into a labour contract with the employer then you are not entitled to claim back the expense of your entry ticket.

Leave is 30 days per calendar year after the first year of full service. In the first year of service the law only provides for 24 days, these only start to accumulate after the successful completion of your probation period. Although 24 days is all that is provided by law most employers find it easier from an administrative perspective to simply give 30 days.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 30, 2009
sorry, duplicate
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 30, 2009
TheChoosen wrote:PM me your emailadress and i will send you the pdf labour law.

AFAIK air ticket is depending on your contract, basic H I is law?

Basic HI through your medical card and the government medical system is currently law, although they have been looking at changing and enforce private medical insurance on all employees for a few years - not much has happened on that though. With the recent down turn in the economic climate the government may look for ways to save some cash and place the burden of the medical on the employer, so i would possibly expect that to be revised in the coming months.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 30, 2009
In my contract there is an "Airfare" category in the monthly breakdown of like 800 or something. When they recently revamped the allowances (to make things fairer for some who were getting screwed) they gave us the option of either the 800 a month or one return ticket per year (economy class). ?!?

Duh! I'll take the ticket because I'm a moron.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 30, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:In my contract there is an "Airfare" category in the monthly breakdown of like 800 or something. When they recently revamped the allowances (to make things fairer for some who were getting screwed) they gave us the option of either the 800 a month or one return ticket per year (economy class). ?!?

Duh! I'll take the ticket because I'm a moron.

Hahaha, for 800 a month you can buy 2 yearly return tickets to Europe/Australia and have money left.

Crazy fookers.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 31, 2009
[quote="dbxsoul"], the employer is only compelled to provide a return ticket/ repatriation flight (to point of origin) on successful completion of the labour contract. [quote]
@Dbxsoul
What if an employee sucessfully completed his contract but decides to renew it with the same employee, is he entitled for:
1. return ticket (end of contract) and
2. a new ticket point of origin (for new contract)?
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 31, 2009
To point of origin, dbxsoul said.

Meaning; you get nothing if you renew the contract.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 02, 2009
the employer is only compelled to provide a return ticket/ repatriation flight (to point of origin) on successful completion of the labour contract.

What if an employee sucessfully completed his contract but decides to renew it with the same employee, is he entitled for:
1. return ticket (end of contract) and
2. a new ticket point of origin (for new contract)?

There are two things to consider here. firstly the ticket (repatriation) is not because of your years of loyal service to the company, it is a requirement by government to ensure that expats have a mechanism to leave the country once their contract is finished, and don't become free-loaders - hence the big roundups they have regularly to catch and deport illegal labour.

Second thing is that if you renew your contract at the end of the third year, you would normally be eligible for leave at this point and would receive a ticket through your company (if this is included in your contract).

The end of service ticket cannot be encashed or paid out.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai