Srilanka

Topic locked
Srilanka Oct 03, 2006
This country is truly in my blood.

Colombo is divine! From the 2 lane Galle Road, Colombo's equivalent to SZR to its secret treasures like Barefoot (art gallery, bookstore, cafe in one) and The Library (the library by day, nightclub by night) Colombo has no equivalent. A most intoxicating mix of mostly the subcontinent with a peppering of its colonial history which included the Portugese, Dutch and English, Colombo's cup truly does "spilleth over".

Head out further South and Sri Lanka is paved with incredible beach resorts and spas. One I've visited is the Taj Exotica in Bentota. There is plenty to do there for all ages, including jet skiing, banana boat rides etc.

Head east and you are in the heart of tea plantation country.

Head to Sigiriya if you are looking for heritage. A fortress and retreat, it is sometimes considered the 8th wonder of the world.

Every August Kandy hosts the festival of Perahera. Elephants are paraded in the streets in their royal garb led by elders of the notable families of Kandy which at one time was, from the 17th to the 19th century, the seat of the Sinhala Kings. This night time parade lasts till the wee hours of the morning and is filled with music, jugglers and local dance.

Kandy also has one of the most beautiful and biggest botanical garden I have EVER visited!

PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 03, 2006
pretty what about LTTE :shock:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
PrettyPenny what hotel do you stay in there ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
Hilton ... the views are great ... but personally i prefer Transasia .... gorgeous pool side, The Library is great and the ambience is a lot more casual
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around