Language Barrier

Topic locked
Language Barrier Mar 01, 2008
I left Tbilisi, Georgia last evening and was faced with a language barrier situation.

After checking in and clearing immigration I wanted something to drink but had only Dirhams and Dollars and 2 Lari (their currency). I saw this bar and asked whether they accepted dollars. The waitress said: "yes we do but your change will be in Lari". I said "I want a beer" and she said "that costs 4.5 Lari". I said "what is the exchange rate of the dollar". She said "1.53 Lari per dollar". I said "that would make it 15.3 Laris for $10 Dollars". She said "yes". Then I said "since each beer costs 4.5 laries I'll have to drink a lot then".

I sat down and a couple of minutes later she came back and served me "a latte" :shock: I told her I had ordered a beer and she apoligized and brought me a beer to replace the "latte". I few seconds later I realized she took my expression "lot then" for a "latte" :lol:

I've got other Georgia stories for the "Georgia" report.

p.s. My wife would say: "that happens becuase you mumble"

p.s.2. I the same scenario happened in Georgia (the USA state) the same thing would probably happened!

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Language Barrier Mar 01, 2008
Dear, that happens because you mumble :D :D
concords wife
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 02, 2008
If I had wife I would not let her post on internet.

Now everyone knows you mumble. Good luck getting job in Dubai.
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 02, 2008
Sheikhmo wrote:If I had wife I would not let her post on internet.

Oh tsk tsk, you poor fellow. You are a bit slow aren't you my dear? Perhaps that's why you don't have a wife :cry: Don't worry, I'm sure one day you'll find a nice girl who doesn't mind you.
concords wife
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 02, 2008
concords wife wrote:
Sheikhmo wrote:If I had wife I would not let her post on internet.

Oh tsk tsk, you poor fellow. You are a bit slow aren't you my dear? Perhaps that's why you don't have a wife :cry: Don't worry, I'm sure one day you'll find a nice girl who doesn't mind you.

Leave Sheikmo alone. He might have connections. Don't forget I could have up to seven wives and 21 children in Dubai! (not all wives at same time).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
Tsk tsk, silly boy. Those young ladies you visit at the cyclone aren't your wives and there's only five of them anyway. Did you remember to get those antibiotics for that itch you picked up in Latvia? I'll be at Franco's villa for the next week or two until it goes away. You don't mind do you, sweetie :) :) :)
concords wife
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 03, 2008
There seem to be a very thick language barrier between a native english-speaking person and an asian when the former is talking to the latter. He just have to shout out every english word slowly to the other guy. lol, typical. :lol:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Re: Language Barrier Mar 04, 2008
Concord wrote:
p.s.2. I the same scenario happened in Georgia (the USA state) the same thing would probably happened!

hahaha

this thread is freakin hilarious
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2008
the first time I went to Italy I arrived in Bologna at the train station after 18 hours on the train. I ordered a latte at the station and they said something to me caldo, I just nodded didn't understand Italian. then they gave me a cup of hot (caldo is hot) frothy milk. Not exactly the coffee i thought I was getting.

I had no more lira - and no more Italian words so just took a teabag from my backpack and had to improvise. Not very tasty!
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 04, 2008
scarlet wrote:the first time I went to Italy I arrived in Bologna at the train station after 18 hours on the train. I ordered a latte at the station and they said something to me caldo, I just nodded didn't understand Italian. then they gave me a cup of hot (caldo is hot) frothy milk. Not exactly the coffee i thought I was getting.

I had no more lira - and no more Italian words so just took a teabag from my backpack and had to improvise. Not very tasty!

Not so bad. Instead of "do you want milk with your tea?" it became "do you want tea with your milk?"
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2008
i had the worst language barrier problems in tokyo and osaka in japan..

any other language, i sort of got what they're talking about, especially around europe - they have the same body language, and its not too difficult to figure things out...,.. the japs were a whole new ball game.

strange bunch the japs.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 11, 2008
Tbilisi is famous with the vine, so drink vine there... :D
Baltika
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around