Kalamazoo, Michigan

Topic locked
Kalamazoo, Michigan Nov 06, 2006
Hi guys,

I've been offered a pretty good package to be posted in this small lil rural town in the US of A. Of course I will be travelling a lot around the States, but I will be based here.

Anybody from or have lived in Michigan? Any advice? Any stories?

Things I'm concerned with:

1. how the hell do u calculate them taxes? federal? state? what are standard deductions? ah... the benefits of living in a tax free country.....

2. gun culture...will i get my head blown off by a drunk?

3. google-earthed that place... and saw there were a LOT of Evangelical churches....will I get brainwashed by the community to be a Republican supporter or becum a gay fukking hypocrite leader of Evangelical churches?

4. weather. -23 Degrees??????

5. things to do? not much i guess...but what do these ppl do there besides going to a baseball and football game?

6. crime rate?

and whatever else you can think of....thanks....its a long shot but i do hope that there's at least 1 dubai forummer that is from Michigan.....

dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Kalamazoo, Michigan Nov 06, 2006
dodgeek wrote:Hi guys,

I've been offered a pretty good package to be posted in this small lil rural town in the US of A. Of course I will be travelling a lot around the States, but I will be based here.

Anybody from or have lived in Michigan? Any advice? Any stories?

Things I'm concerned with:

1. how the hell do u calculate them taxes? federal? state? what are standard deductions? ah... the benefits of living in a tax free country.....

2. gun culture...will i get my head blown off by a drunk?

3. google-earthed that place... and saw there were a LOT of Evangelical churches....will I get brainwashed by the community to be a Republican supporter or becum a gay fukking hypocrite leader of Evangelical churches?

4. weather. -23 Degrees??????

5. things to do? not much i guess...but what do these ppl do there besides going to a baseball and football game?

6. crime rate?

and whatever else you can think of....thanks....its a long shot but i do hope that there's at least 1 dubai forummer that is from Michigan.....

Nothing in Kalamozoo! Cold!

1. Taxes: Best way to get a better Idea is to look it up in www.IRS.gov. Both federal and state taxes are "sliding scale" - more you make more you pay. The standard deduction is about 4-5K (that is the amount you would deduct from your income) to figure the tax. There are others for example if you have children, spouse, etc. The site will give you an idea. Look up the income and then the tax amount. I would say it will be between 25-35% of your income (depends on income).

2. Guns: Won't get your head blown off.

3. Religion: Even evangelicals will leave you alone. Free country.

4. Weather: Cold

5. Things to do: Nothing.

6. Crime rate: would't expect it to be much crime, if any.

Maaad may be able to give you more insight on Michigan.

If you are flying all around the USA then it may not be that bad.

Whenever I think of Kalamazoo, Michigan I think: Cold!

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
There goes a saying..... Kalamazoo, there's Nothing to Doo...

Oh well... I still fall within the 25% tax bracket. just that I was wondering if there will be an additional tax of 6% (Michigan state tax) on top of the federal tax....been to that site.....it just complicates things....ahha..oh well will look again.

Thanks for the information. i'll have to really consider this offer. its rather different from Dubai...some good... some bad...
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 06, 2006
haha thats random .. K-ZOO !

Concord answered most of your questions .. If you will be travelling much i am not sure why they would base you in K-ZOO since there isnt a really big airport around .. However K-ZOO is two hour car drive away from both Chicago and Detroit. You will also be close to Battle Creek which is home to Kellogs the cereal maker ;)

K-ZOO is not very "rural" i think it has a population just under 100K .. so you will find most of the things you need there. However dont expect a social life anywhere close to what you have in Dubai !

Yes West Michigan is very right wing republican but as Concord said each to his own no one is going to brainwash you!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
dodgeek wrote:There goes a saying..... Kalamazoo, there's Nothing to Doo...

Oh well... I still fall within the 25% tax bracket. just that I was wondering if there will be an additional tax of 6% (Michigan state tax) on top of the federal tax....been to that site.....it just complicates things....ahha..oh well will look again.

Thanks for the information. i'll have to really consider this offer. its rather different from Dubai...some good... some bad...

Yes your state tax is on top of the federal tax!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
thanks MaaD and Concord....

i'm in a DILEMMA!!!! damn... federal + state tax! that eats up more than 30% of my salary...jesus christ! ok...fine.. i'm located in a small town of 77k ppl....nothing much to spend on. but still...............

but then again...a move away from this crazy city might just be what I need.....but i'm not ready to RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well.... i think i'm gonna stay put for just a lil while more...
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 07, 2006
dodgeek are you a US Citizen ? If not what Visa will you be on ? H1B ? or L1 ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 07, 2006
H1B.... with the option to apply for Green Card.....

wife will be H4.....thats also another prob. she's working with Emirates now as Crew. So if she goes tehre she will be a dependent and no opportunity to work unless she gets a work permit....which is a long shot.
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 07, 2006
Ya .. I lived in the US for a long time and now i am living in Dubai. And to tell you the truth California would be the only place i would consider living in if i had to move back. Dubai to K-ZOO is a huge culture shock buddy !!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around