Is My Salary Rang OK ?

Topic locked
Is my Salary Rang OK ? Jun 28, 2007
Hi all,
I was recently offered for 132K USD Per year for very senior position in an IT firm. I am from Germany and willing to move to Dubai but not sure whether it's a fair offer to live there. I saw horrible prices about accomodation . Would you please advise ?

apourtey
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 28, 2007
$132k is about 40k dhs per month. Good salary depending on how senior your position is. You have to pay for your own accommodation? 9k per month gets you good 1 bdrm apt - but you have to pay 1 year in advance.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 29, 2007
bonk wrote:$132k is about 40k dhs per month. Good salary depending on how senior your position is. You have to pay for your own accommodation? 9k per month gets you good 1 bdrm apt - but you have to pay 1 year in advance.

What's this year in advance bit!! Do they expect a lump sum, year in advance deposit! F***!

Is that the norm???
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 29, 2007
there's the finder's fee-- usually 5%, then the deposit, then the first 3 mos. many landlods permit post-dated checks for the remainder., which helps (as long as you have the $ in the checking acct!).

yeah, pretty normal-- dubai suffers from a lot of people who skip town which is whythey do this
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2007
English Girlie wrote:Is that the norm???

Yes. Sometimes 2 or 3 PDCs (Post Dated Checks) are accepted. Ask company if they will assist.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 29, 2007
My position is a prinicipa Architect. is it still fair offer ?
Cheers
apourtey
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Is my Salary Rang OK ? Jul 04, 2007
apourtey wrote:Hi all,
I was recently offered for 132K USD Per year for very senior position in an IT firm. I am from Germany and willing to move to Dubai but not sure whether it's a fair offer to live there. I saw horrible prices about accomodation . Would you please advise ?

Thats a good salary. I wish I can have same as yours..
axiale05
Dubai Forum Visitor

good salary Jul 04, 2007
This is a very good salary. If you want that everything is arranged for you, you can go through an agent, pay the 5% fee and pay all kinds of other fees, people want to squeze out of you. You can give deposit with checks - usually 3 months and look for appartment yourself. I hear for the firts time someone paying 1 year in advance. It is all your choice you can have an expensive life style, all up to you.
beagle
Dubai Forum User

Jul 04, 2007
apourtey wrote:My position is a prinicipa Architect. is it still fair offer ?
Cheers

mmmm . salary is okay, although i'd say its a little on the low side for the position; this however would depend on the size of the company you are joining and the scope of the projects they undertake. if i were you i'd try and include some kind of commision system on top of that basic. salaries are fixed by definition of the contract, so don't expect a 13th cheque or an automatic increase each year, you may get this if your employer is that way inclined - but don't bet on it.

the salary they are offering is upper-middle management in a medium sized concern (turnover of about 20 mil. aed per annum - based on a 50% company gp). bearing in mind that the IT industry you are in has very little in the way of stock and the overheads should be moderate... then theoretically they should have a higher gp% and be able to afford a better salary.

is this 40k cost to company, or cash in your pocket and your'e on your own? this is a subtle difference as well which affects your pocket. you need to clarrify this.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 06, 2007
Well the salary that I am getting there is less than what I am paid in Europe but the net income is higher.
Regards
apourtey
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 06, 2007
Well you mentioned that salary is OK but not good so what would be the good salary for this position ?
Regards
apourtey
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 06, 2007
as i said in the previous posting it depends on the size of the business that you are going to be employed by, and the scale of the projects. i would say that 50k is not unreasonable. possibly explore the alternatives with your employer, low basic, but end-result orientated commision.

you cannot compare salaries when working in dubai and you have to weigh up the extra's as well as tax free benefits. for example an entry level programmer in the uk may earn 2,500 Euro's, this is the equivalent of 12,500 AED. for 12,500 AED a local employer could recruit 3 or 4 indian programmers! please note that i'm not putting you in the same catagory as this, just drawing a comparison.

you need to not price yourself out of the competative market, but ensure that you are compensated to your abilities.

what i would suggest that you negotiate for the basic plus a percentage (e.g. .5% - you'd be better placed to advise a reasonable percentage) on sucessful installation/ project completion. have this encashed every quarter, this way after the first 3/6 months you will see if your company is going to honour thier end of the bargin. have this included in writing in your offical labour contract, also set the specific's on how a "completed" project will be measured and your renumeration calculated. this must be clear, concise and unambiguous! as long as it's included in the official contract you can contest it in court should you feel for some reason you are being short changed - it would then be cause to have the contract negated, if it came to that.

as i said in the previous posting you need to specify if the amount hey are offering is cost to company or basic!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Whats the salary Range For an Architect with 3D Viz ability Jul 23, 2007
Hello
wonderfull forum members.

Just wanted to know the price range for :-

3 years experienced Architect having 6 years of 3Dvisualization/Animation ability.

Any help from anyone shall be highly appreciated.

With Warm Regards,
Sanzi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted