The Local EBay?

Topic locked
The Local eBay? Sep 28, 2006
Wonder if you have visited Souq.com

I used to be a regular seller (and buyer) on eBay, but have been looking for alternatives after Paypal blocked all accounts of sellers from the Middle East, post 9/11.

UAE now has a parallel, Souq, a much smaller one - no doubt.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the online shopping trend is catching up in UAE. I have sold quite a few items in just about 2 months and have been getting quite a few repeat customers.

The best part is that if you have something to sell, you just put it up free of charge! You pay 5% to Souq only if your items sells!! Meaning, it is a win-win for everyone.

Check out my present listings at http://www.souq.com/active_auctions.php?user_id=176683

kensus
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2006
souq is unfortunately nothing like eBay... I really hope it'll be someday.

Buying-Selling online isn't too popular in the M-E for some reason...

In the 2yrs I spent in the US, I bought nearly 90% of my stuff from eBay and made some money on the side by selling stuff there. Craigslist is a pretty good place for that too.
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 28, 2006
Real lava froma volcano? hahahahahahahaha

Sorry, that just made me laugh. I am sure it is :wink:

I thought it was good, until they started charging for selling items. However, people are still able to by-pass the sytem by using obscure phrases for telephone numbers.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 28, 2006
Oh I bought once from that site Souq.com
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 28, 2006
Nick81 wrote:souq is unfortunately nothing like eBay... I really hope it'll be someday.

Buying-Selling online isn't too popular in the M-E for some reason...

In the 2yrs I spent in the US, I bought nearly 90% of my stuff from eBay and made some money on the side by selling stuff there. Craigslist is a pretty good place for that too.

Couldn't agree with you more...

It takes time to change consumer behaviour!

BTW, eBay had 'zero' visitors on the date it opened; so give the Souq guys some time...
kensus
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Real lava froma volcano? hahahahahahahaha

Sorry, that just made me laugh. I am sure it is :wink:

I thought it was good, until they started charging for selling items. However, people are still able to by-pass the sytem by using obscure phrases for telephone numbers.

hahaha; I am glad I made you laugh! I am not generally what folks call the 'humourous' guy :wink:

Using obscure phrases for tel numbers just demonstrates that the user base is not yet matured in such things.
kensus
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai