Ian, Lets Make Some Money For Charity

Topic locked
Ian, lets make some money for charity Mar 29, 2008
I remember that once, innocently, I asked who got the revenue from the advertisment on the forum. Guess what? The thread was deleted in a matter of hours.

I think it might be time to set up a forum and we can generate some money. Here is my proposal: we create a name (I've got ideas which will work). One of the forums will be titled "Money generated" and all monies will be donated to charity (less whatever fee we have to pay for the hosting). The forum will post every penny/fil generated from advertisement - I don't need any of it and I think neither do you...It would be a hobby with a good cause (well except you like cats and I like dogs - but maybe we both like "people"). Depending on member participation and revenue stream we can have periodic polls and let the members decide where the forum's cash should be spent.

I got a great name for it which includes Dubai in it...pm me.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
if you make this forum, would we be able to say words like shit or fcuk? or does it automaticaly changes to some usernames of this forum?
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
spoonman wrote:if you make this forum, would we be able to say words like shit or fcuk? or does it automaticaly changes to some usernames of this forum?

I've got a friend, local, high up on those things and he will be the advisor but even if we have to modify them we won't modify them to "love" "feather" "princess", etc. but will leave "fcuk" "fcuk" "shit" "arniegang" "Sage&Onion" - all foul words - in the posts.

By the way, would you join knowing that it would benefit a charity?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
yeah, sure
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
spoonman wrote:yeah, sure

Thanks spoonman, you are 27th on the list. I am overwhelmed by the response so far (which Frankly I did not expect). Why is it that people are so shy (in cyberspace) and would not post but would pm in a nano second :shock:

Here is my first thought: we might get enough cash to bring water to a village somewhere. I am a firm believer that water (the availability of it) is a major part of many peoples's lives. So please (before we set up) lets start some reasearch and figure out how we bring water to someone else in the world. With google earhth, unicef, etc. we can figure out the first village, communte, where we might make an impact.

So skip that pint (well one of them) and contribute those 25 dhs (I don't yet know how you can do it unless you advertise but we'll figure it out)...

ok, who is going to be 28th?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
Somehow I've screwed up the "quote" function (Babydoll will be delighted)

Anyway,

For the newbies

I've participated in the "ice michine for k-9 friends", "DK shaves his head for charity" and "work camp fire", amongst other "charities" in Dubai, to the tune of over 39,000.00 dirhams. So I'm no phony (which I must say unless you met me in which case...well...)

p.s. It may be shocking, pretentious, bull shit, or whatever, but each year we (mr. & mrs. Concord) donate more thant $100,000.00 to charity. We recognize that we are blessed to be able to do thaat and will continue to do so as long as we are able to...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
to start an online community or a website in general you need: (basic guide)

1- business objective:
which in your case is rubbing it off to the face of some people and charity

2- then defining the audience of the community:
which would be the people in dubai. you can limit it to a smaller group of people if it suits your business objective

3- so you need to drive people from search engines and other links to the website by SEO (search engine optimization) and paying for advertisement. there are alternetives like we can all spam this forum.
once in while we can put a post that says: join a forum where you can freely say fcuk in it.

4-then you need revenue from the visitors of the new forum which is by adclick of advertisements or google adwords.

5-For making it more successful you should give out incentives. you can start by banning reviewer
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 29, 2008
spoonman wrote:to start an online community or a website in general you need: (basic guide)

1- business objective:

which would be the people in dubai. you can limit it to a smaller group of people if it suits your business objective

3- so you need to drive people from search engines and other links to the website by SEO (search engine optimization) and paying for advertisement. there are alternetives like we can all spam this forum.
once in while we can put a post that says: join a forum where you can freely say fcuk in it.

4-then you need revenue from the visitors of the new forum which is by adclick of advertisements or google adwords.

5-For making it more successful you should give out incentives. you can start by banning reviewer

You are a thinking person spoonman and that is what we need.

I first found dF from google.

I am computer illeterite and thought DF was a "blog" until "liban" say "concord, DF is not a blog but a forum" then I had to figure out what a "forum" meant....ancient history now.

There are some people in this form (18 so far) who think a new forum tha benefits charity is a good idea. Guess what? It might not succeed but unless you try you'll never know...

This forum has people from all ovet the world and some of them might joing the new forum (who wouldn't :P ) and contribute in a small way to something...

Think about it: if that new forum generates "zero" benefit, what was lots? Anyway, I am confident that we will make a different. Even if we make a difference in ONE life it would all be worth it. No doubt.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
spoonman wrote:to start an online community or a website in general you need: (basic guide)

1- business objective:

once in while we can put a post that says: join a forum where you can freely say Fuk in it.

shhhhhh!! dont talk all that technical to Concord man..

Its a sure success.. to put it in one word..

Add me in as the 59th person..(or some higher number) I dont think it'll cross 80 anyway.. coz including your 37 ids and Ians 16and my 9 the users will still not cross 80..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 29, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:

1- business objective:

Add me in as the 59th person..(or some higher number) I dont think it'll cross 80 anyway.. coz including your 37 ids and Ians 16and my 9 the users will still not cross 80..

Thanks St. Lucifer.

By the way, we can't all be good at math.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
count me in

would the money go to a charity agency though? i always find them a tad questionable.

i think you would gain a lot more fullfillment if you actually put the money to use with the poor or sick yourself and see it working first hand

would you agree?
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 29, 2008
Concord wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:

1- business objective:

Thanks St. Lucifer.

By the way, we can't all be good at math.

My pleasure concord. Hope u now agree with my (ref: my PM) idea of being the Chief Financial Officer for the DubaiCares forum.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 29, 2008
ebonics wrote:count me in

would the money go to a charity agency though?i always find them a tad questionable.

i think you would gain a lot more fullfillment if you actually put the money to use with the poor or sick yourself and see it working first hand

would you agree?

No "charity agency".

Here is how it would work.

1. We set up a forum.

Most of them are "free" but eventually you have to pay for hosting and then you pay for the hosting by advertising (just look at all the adds in DF) the advertisement generates money. The money, instead of going to a person will go to a fund.

2. Tracking the money.

First of all, I do not for second need the money (and neither does Ian as far as I can tell).

So here is how it will work. There will be a forum titled "money tracker" which will list the funds generated from advertisement or donations (however that works) on a monhtly basis). Monthly, because I think that is how advertisers pay (we'll confirm). At a periodic time (probably quarterly) we will determine (by democratic vote) where the money will be spent - if the right project is presented by a member then then more than a quarterly fund might be used for a specific project.

Folks, EVERTHING WILL BE TRANSPARENT, I am glad I've met some people here in dubai and DF forum that know that will be the case...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2008
Sure I'll do it, sounds like a great idea.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 29, 2008
I wouldnt mind joining but have certain priorities in life to clear out as I myself am jobless but I have a suggestion. In the forums like Dubai Forums u can use google adsense where google puts context based ads on ur site. Like say ur charities and all so google will check in dubai how many more charities are going on and put the ad on ur site and depends on each ad. When anyone clicks on those ads then u get payed for it and u can use that money for ur forums. It may vary from 10 cents to 5 dollars. And plus I am an old member of Dubai Lime and I can put a good word and check with them for ur launch. If ur interested. But yeah as I said I need a job bad to get myself up first.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 30, 2008
Concord wrote:Somehow I've screwed up the "quote" function (Babydoll will be delighted)

The moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived ! Bwahhh ha ha ...
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 30, 2008
Concord wrote:ok, who is going to be 28th?

What is the score so far?
Count me in. You can make me the "quote" moderator !
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Mar 30, 2008
Hey Concs. Not sure if you are going ahead with this or not, but I know of an easy payment solution, but it requires one person to be the CFO, as the cashish gets transferred to their account. I am assuming it would be the MOD or owner as the site would be registered to them?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 31, 2008
I am very interested, but also very very carefull with charity. I prefer to pick the projects myself and donate straight to the people and keep track of the money, no middle men! If you can set this up completely transparent with accountability and me able to check where the money actually goes, I am in.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 31, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:I am very interested, but also very very carefull with charity. I prefer to pick the projects myself and donate straight to the people and keep track of the money, no middle men! If you can set this up completely transparent with accountability and me able to check where the money actually goes, I am in.

The idea is not to create a new charity, merely as a conduit to raise funds for existing charities. 100% transparency and accountability will be assured, with the books posted on the website for all to see.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai