Black Hair Stylists

Topic locked
Black Hair Stylists May 06, 2012
Im an African American woman. I am moving to Abu Dhabi with my husband. Are there black hairstylists there?

vda1
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Black Hair Stylists May 06, 2012
Two beauty topics this morning. Right up my street!

I thought I may aswell reply to you vda1, as there doesn't seem to be much interest in hair and beauty on this forum. I asked for some feedback on hair removal and only one, very sweet Greek man replied.

I have never been to Abu Dhabi but I did watch the Grand Prix once and it looked very nice. I'm not even sure where it is to be honest,

If it isn't rude, can I ask why you want a black hairstylist? If a person is qualified and did my hair nicely, I wouldn't care if she was black, white or yellow.
MrsMills
BANNED

Re: Black Hair Stylists May 06, 2012
vda1 wrote:Im an African American woman. I am moving to Abu Dhabi with my husband. Are there black hairstylists there?

Go to expatwoman.com where there is a forum for Abu Dhabi (you can also post in the Dubai forum as some of the women may have lived in Abu Dhabi), or expatforum.com.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Black Hair Stylists May 07, 2012
MrsMills ,

Well the reason I am looking for a black hairstylist is because I wear hair extensions and I have never had anyone but black stylists do my hair. Nothing against stylists of a different race at all.
vda1
Dubai Forum Guest

vda1 wrote:MrsMills ,

Well the reason I am looking for a black hairstylist is because I wear hair extensions and I have never had anyone but black stylists do my hair. Nothing against stylists of a different race at all.

You need to branch out vda1. White girls can do hair extensions too. How do you come on when you make an appointment over the phone? Do you specify that the sylist must be black?
MrsMills
BANNED

MrsMills ,

No. Ive had the same stylist for the last 10 years. She knows my hair needs completely. I now have to find someone else in Abu Dhabi. But trust me, there is a difference between the way different races handle haircare needs. I promise you. For example, white girls get perms to make their hair curly. Black women get perms to make our hair straight. There are significant differences.
vda1
Dubai Forum Guest

No. Ive had the same stylist for the last 10 years. She knows my hair needs completely. I now have to find someone else in Abu Dhabi. But trust me, there is a difference between the way different races handle haircare needs. I promise you. For example, white girls get perms to make their hair curly. Black women get perms to make our hair straight. There are significant differences.

Just fly your hairstylist to Abu Dhabi every six weeks :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

vda1 wrote:No. Ive had the same stylist for the last 10 years. She knows my hair needs completely. I now have to find someone else in Abu Dhabi. But trust me, there is a difference between the way different races handle haircare needs. I promise you. For example, white girls get perms to make their hair curly. Black women get perms to make our hair straight. There are significant differences.

No need to explain the difference vda. Common sense would dictate if one possessed it. Even white women who have thick, naturally curly hair have trouble finding a hairdresser who knows how to work with it. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I nearly missed your reply, this topic has been moved!

I think I understand that there are significant differences between black women and white women's hair. There aren't that many young white women who have their hair permed these days, well not in my experience anyway. They all prefer a stylist to use straighteners. A good stylist can curl hair with hair straighteners. That way a woman can change the style of her hair on a daily basis.

Good luck with finding a black sylist and lets hope that if you find a white one, she doesn't object to black customers.
MrsMills
BANNED

Re: Black Hair Stylists Jun 28, 2014
vda1 , www.flhair.org
flhair
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai