How To Cope Up With Co-workers Body Odor?

Topic locked
how to cope up with co-workers body odor? Sep 11, 2006
:shock: one thing that i have a hard time coping up with would be the foul smell of some people here in dubai... i dunno if its just the weather, but most of the people who came from the same country as i did, dont share the same problem...

how can i politely say to a co-worker of a different race to take a bath, put some deodorant on and be hygienic? i honestly cant work... :cry: the smell especially in an air conditioned room makes me feel dizzy.

some of my friends tell me to just cope with it, because its a reality here...i do try to cope if i am in public places but if it is in the workplace, man o man....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

rundezvous
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 11, 2006
at my old workplace i bought cologne for one of the laywers that i worked for and asked him to wear that when he would stay in the office. he asked me why, and i told him how would he feel if i came in without wearing any perfume or deodorant. he understood and wore it everyday until the day i left.

i also had the office boy place bukhar in the room.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: how to cope up with co-workers body odor? Sep 11, 2006
rundezvous wrote::shock: one thing that i have a hard time coping up with would be the foul smell of some people here in dubai... i dunno if its just the weather, but most of the people who came from the same country as i did, dont share the same problem...

how can i politely say to a co-worker of a different race to take a bath, put some deodorant on and be hygienic? i honestly cant work... :cry: the smell especially in an air conditioned room makes me feel dizzy.

some of my friends tell me to just cope with it, because its a reality here...i do try to cope if i am in public places but if it is in the workplace, man o man....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Maybe you could find someone from the same Country as the person that you are refering to, and get them to mention the problem, if that doesn't work you could always have a can of Air Freshener handy and whenever the person comes close have a spray around. :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
And you're complaining about this?

Try dealing with people who burp in your face every 2 minutes and don't see a problem with it... And I am not talking about office boys. I am talking financial managers, MIS, IT managers... And at my UK customer the manager of a big auditing firm visited him while I was there and same thing happened with that guy... All from India btw (no offense to anyone here, just an observation), maybe it has something to do with all the spices they put in their food... But it's definitely not enjoyable...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 11, 2006
Nick81 wrote:And you're complaining about this?

Try dealing with people who burp in your face every 2 minutes and don't see a problem with it... And I am not talking about office boys. I am talking financial managers, MIS, IT managers... And at my UK customer the manager of a big auditing firm visited him while I was there and same thing happened with that guy... All from India btw (no offense to anyone here, just an observation), maybe it has something to do with all the spices they put in their food... But it's definitely not enjoyable...

Well at least they didn't fart :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 11, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

oh my Lord (now that made my day, I will be smiling the whole evening! hope everybody enjoys the rest of the night! :wink: )
zam

Sep 11, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick81

Sep 12, 2006
Get a peg for your nose or take your shoes off in the office.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

Oh no, disgusting!

If someone farts in front of me.... or just near me.... i will light up my lighter hoping it will create a flame near his a$$.

wahahahahah
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2006
Oh common guys.. dont tell me u dont fart...farting is natural.. ofcourse u cant controll everytime..though i think burp can b controller.. i've had some funny aussie mates.. who had experimented and researched on farting..harrr harr harr haa..
not that i'm a big time farting bozo.. i make effective use of toilets and perfumes..

may b we should have a poll on the subject, Do u fart loud or not??

http://203.2.218.61/spark/smelly/default.htm

haaaaaaaaaaha :P :P
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 12, 2006
weary_heart wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Oh no, disgusting!

If someone farts in front of me.... or just near me.... i will light up my lighter hoping it will create a flame near his a$$.

wahahahahah

That only works if you have prior warning and you need to be real close with the lighter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2006
would you offend the person if you give him a gift of deodorant,soap,shampoo,laundry soap ? :roll:
zam

Sep 12, 2006
I thought I'm the only one complaining about the strange aroma, but it's a good thing I don't have this problem in the office.
In public places I just say to myself that I'm not in my country so should try to be tolerant and bear with it.. :?
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 12, 2006
zam wrote:would you offend the person if you give him a gift of deodorant,soap,shampoo,laundry soap ? :roll:

That of course would depend on the person, it is strange that most people that have this BO problem do not actually smell it themselves. :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2006
Sounds disgusting. First let me say I shower every day and hope I don't have BO :), I try not to burp and fart in public either.

However, I'd like to point out an observation.

Our noses adapt to what we are used to - we stop smelling a particular odour a few minutes after we first detect. Thus if you're cooking with garlic, say, after a while you have become immune to the smell and can't really tell it is there - but anyone walking into the kitchen will smell this.

Now there is BO (foul smelling odour caused by dirtiness) and then there is the natural scent we all give off. This is individual to each person, but also varies by what we eat, how much we perspire etc.

The interesting thing is that the natural body odour of some people, say Indians or Bangladeshis, will be very noticeable to other races and may not be masked by cologne they are wearing. This primarily comes from the diet and spices which make it through to the pores. Fellow Indians/Bangladeshis etc do not smell this.

Now, before I'm branded racist, it works the other way too. In my community of Mauritius, English people (i.e. white people) are characterised as being smelly and not washing - for example an English bath is what we call putting on deodorant.

The japanese are another race that tend to eat bland food and have a neutral body odour. The 'normal' smell of a meat eating caucasian is not pleasant for them (to put it mildly).

Therefore, issues of hygiene apart, we should note that we all have our own particular odour that we are immune to that may be offensive to others. Just think for a minute what the burping Indians (there's an image I didn't want in my mind!) are saying about you! :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
zam wrote:would you offend the person if you give him a gift of deodorant,soap,shampoo,laundry soap ? :roll:

That of course would depend on the person, it is strange that most people that have this BO problem do not actually smell it themselves. :roll:

simply because they are used to it...
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2006
errmm...what's work?

As for f***ing, I did know somebody who could play the first few bars of Colonel Bogey.

Anyone else got any good tunes?
xlchick
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 12, 2006
well i will smell worse so my odor prevails!!!! :lol:

and yeah some phremones for ladies in the office too
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2006
as shaf pointed out...diet is the main issue here...and yes the japs or the chinese do find the ang moh/gaijin/gwilo smell strong and offensive on its own...perhaps a novel approach would be to buy your co worker cereal/fruits for breakfast...salad and chicken/fish for lunch and a light supper consisting of perhaps grilled chicken again...there is no easy way to go up to anyone and proclaim "hey, get a clue...i can't breathe" :lol: :lol:
constantine

Sep 12, 2006
oh also alcohol consumption doesnt help either...as the next day your pores are the ones doing the toxic cleansing... :wink:
constantine

Sep 12, 2006
i am known for my Extra sensitive nose so I CAN'T Bare with smells what so ever ,so what i do is i have a body splash with water melon smell from Life Style which i spray whenever needed in the office around me , and plus keep a deodrant or perfume in ur drawer if u smell nice it will take away the bad smell around u cos u will smell urself ,try it ,it works for me , i always keep a perfume in my bag and use it to refresh myself and whenever needed 8) 8)
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2006
Actually a slight correction, sweat doesn't actually smell, it only starts to cause BO when it comes into contact with bacteria on the skin which isn't clean, which is why personal hygiene is so important.

Lifestyle has alot to do with it, spicy foods, alcohol etc can make the problem worse. But some people just don't notice the fact they're a bit pongy. It's awful, there's a woman in our office that some days you can't get within 6 feet of it's so bad.

The spraying perfume on clothes under the arm pits I'll never get, just put on deoderant.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 12, 2006
Not sure if this is true - but I recall being told/reading that if you rub garlic into the soles of your feet (don't know why you'd want to do this), after a while you can smell garlic on your breath. The volatile compounds in garlic can penetrate the skin and get into your blood, apparently. That is why your skin can give off the odour of garlic after you have eaten it - but you won't smell it.

Anyone care to experiment and report back (or alternatively do a Google search for us?)

:)

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat