UAE Fire Departments

Topic locked
UAE Fire Departments Sep 04, 2006
Dear friends , I am from China , I want to know how to get the Mid-east fire fighting equipment market . we are specialized in fire fighting equipment makeing , we look forward to co-operate with you . www.feiyan-valve.com MSN: jesse-valve@hotmail.com

jesse
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 04, 2006
I must say in 7 months I have been here I never saw a fire truck or read about any fires! I am sure they exist but...

It might be a hard nut to crack.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
They take place everyday!!!! And almost every second day there is an article in the papers!!!! Sharjah Industrial Area is quite infamous for these!!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 04, 2006
Concord wrote:I must say in 7 months I have been here I never saw a fire truck or read about any fires! I am sure they exist but...

It might be a hard nut to crack.

True, I see them parked in the fire station but not out on the roads.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: please help me Sep 04, 2006
jesse wrote:Dear friends , I am from China , I want to know how to get the Mid-east fire fighting equipment market . we are specialized in fire fighting equipment makeing , we look forward to co-operate with you . www.feiyan-valve.com MSN: jesse-valve@hotmail.com

well the civil defense is run independantly by each emirates municipality - which is obviously the place to start Sharjah/ Dubai/ Abu Dhabi Municipalities....

i can assue you that they will want samples and want trail any products of this nature extensively before even thing to buy them.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 04, 2006
What would happen if a fire started at the top of a tall building, in the Marina for instance?? And dare I even ask what would happen if the top floor of the Burj Dubai caught fire?? Not many ladders extend a km high I wouldn't have thought??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 04, 2006
please, please ask me about how they were antissipating handling fires on the palm .... its such a funny story ...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 04, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:please, please ask me about how they were antissipating handling fires on the palm .... its such a funny story ...

Asking asking :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 04, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:please, please ask me about how they were antissipating handling fires on the palm .... its such a funny story ...

Do residence get a free "safety" water bucket with each home?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
the_zooter wrote:What would happen if a fire started at the top of a tall building, in the Marina for instance?? And dare I even ask what would happen if the top floor of the Burj Dubai caught fire?? Not many ladders extend a km high I wouldn't have thought??

Someone should send them a DVD of the movie Towering Inferno
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 04, 2006

I'd be more worried about a tsunami.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 04, 2006
Come on DBXSoul - I wanna hear this one please!! :)
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 04, 2006
cant wait :lol: :) cant wait :lol: :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 04, 2006
Soul - you can't just leave us hanging like this. I demand you tell us all now!!

X - it wouldn't surprise me if it was a residents water bucket with each home - but I bet they'd make you supply your own water or something! :lol:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 04, 2006
c'mon zoot, of course they'll supply you water, just at Evian prices :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know if this is true or not but I rember reading that the Dubai Fire Dept. can't handle anything higher than four floors :shock: , good thing there are no high rises in the city :roll:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 04, 2006
fayz wrote:I don't know if this is true or not but I rember reading that the Dubai Fire Dept. can't handle anything higher than four floors :shock: , good thing there are no high rises in the city :roll:

I've heard that somewhere too (it was probably you that told me!).
Good thing you don't live in a high-rise Fayz.

Do you think the 4th floor thing is counted from the ground floor, or any car park/basement ??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 04, 2006
sorry didn't mean to leave you hanging...

well originally the palm was intended to be privately administered - like with Emaar property developments. in which case they would have to provide thier residents with services like water, electricity etc. and dubai municipalities responsibility would end at the base of the trunk.

then someone with a calculator worked out just how much it would cost them to provide these services, and obviously the "maintenance levy" costs that would have to be carried over to the residents. i can imagine there were a lot of white faces when they totalled up the costs of private administration.

up till this point, because the development was independant of the municipality (dm) they didn't have to consider any of the normal things that dm normally does with developments.

so what, as a developer would you do .... easy, you give the project back to dm to administer!

sounds quiet simple, except then when dm looked at it - they have a formula for working out what residential services have to be provided to a community on the basis of the population living in the community .... and they found on the palm .... there was no civil defence centre, no police station, no schools, no open park area, no hospital or clinics, no provision for waste removal, inadequate parking facilities for the residents and visitors .... and no mosque!!! among a long list of other odds and ends..

anyway, i digress.... so they needed to come up with a solution for the fire fighting ... which is actually quiet obvious.. fire fighting barges, that can travel up and down the waterways, between the fronds etc.. speedily chugging thier way to the fire and then being able to extingish it :lol:

they even went as far trying to find where they could buy fire-fighting barges from.... until someone realised, that if the tide was in, the draft of any medium sized vessel is to high out of the water to allow it to pass under the bridges they had already constructed... so basically if you had a fire and the tide was in - your'e screwed.

they also had some good suggestions for waste removal, where "waste removal barges" would circle the island and a compressed air cannon would fire the compacted waste from the shore in to the boat....

i rest my case ....
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 04, 2006
...great to hear that they know what they are doing :roll:
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 04, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:sorry didn't mean to leave you hanging...

well originally the palm was intended to be privately administered - like with Emaar property developments. in which case they would have to provide thier residents with services like water, electricity etc. and dubai municipalities responsibility would end at the base of the trunk.

then someone with a calculator worked out just how much it would cost them to provide these services, and obviously the "maintenance levy" costs that would have to be carried over to the residents. i can imagine there were a lot of white faces when they totalled up the costs of private administration.

up till this point, because the development was independant of the municipality (dm) they didn't have to consider any of the normal things that dm normally does with developments.

so what, as a developer would you do .... easy, you give the project back to dm to administer!

sounds quiet simple, except then when dm looked at it - they have a formula for working out what residential services have to be provided to a community on the basis of the population living in the community .... and they found on the palm .... there was no civil defence centre, no police station, no schools, no open park area, no hospital or clinics, no provision for waste removal, inadequate parking facilities for the residents and visitors .... and no mosque!!! among a long list of other odds and ends..

anyway, i digress.... so they needed to come up with a solution for the fire fighting ... which is actually quiet obvious.. fire fighting barges, that can travel up and down the waterways, between the fronds etc.. speedily chugging thier way to the fire and then being able to extingish it :lol:

they even went as far trying to find where they could buy fire-fighting barges from.... until someone realised, that if the tide was in, the draft of any medium sized vessel is to high out of the water to allow it to pass under the bridges they had already constructed... so basically if you had a fire and the tide was in - your'e screwed.

they also had some good suggestions for waste removal, where "waste removal barges" would circle the island and a compressed air cannon would fire the compacted waste from the shore in to the boat....

i rest my case ....

So how did they resolve it?

Or would they simply build in a collapsible foundation that, in case of fire, slid the entire building into the sea, thereby extinguishing the conflagration. Oh no wait...they have collapsible foundations already!

...Allegedly!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 04, 2006
So how did they resolve it?

Or would they simply build in a collapsible foundation that, in case of fire, slid the entire building into the sea, thereby extinguishing the conflagration. Oh no wait...they have collapsible foundations already!

...Allegedly!

Knight

:lol: :lol:

think the jury isn't out on the matter yet
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 05, 2006
If anything ever caught fire out there, they'd probably just annexe the palm off and forget that it ever existed!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Products and Services in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Products and Services in Dubai