Bringing A Car & Bikes From The UK?

Topic locked
Bringing a car & bikes from the UK? Aug 28, 2006
Hi guys, I need some advice and help please...

Can I bring my car & two bikes over to Dubai and retain my UK plates and if so do I need to pay any tax, etc...?

What is the best option for me to use my vehicles in Dubai?

Thanks for any help...

GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2006
If your car is RHD. forget it, unless you want to either convert it over to LHD or have a local (need to know one) who perhaps can register it for you.

Not sure about bikes, but can't really see why not? I
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2006
I know I can't register a rhd vehicle but surely therre'snothing to prevent me keeping UK plates and using it?
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2006
GSRider wrote:I know I can't register a rhd vehicle but surely therre'snothing to prevent me keeping UK plates and using it?

UK plates? No. Unless you want to put it in your window as a display piece. Though cars do come from Saudi Arabia, Oman and what not.

And RHD cars converted to LHD also do not get registered, unless "they" cannot tell the difference and your paperwork does not say anywhere is was RHD. Or get a local and get it registered in Umm Al Quwain. Anything goes there.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2006
So basically you can't come into the country in a foreign (well European) car?

I'm not sure how long I'll be staying and might only be there for a year or less...
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2006
GSRider wrote:So basically you can't come into the country in a foreign (well European) car?

I'm not sure how long I'll be staying and might only be there for a year or less...

Well, you'd be the first to do it, so no one really knows. I haven't seen any plates any further than from Middle East countries.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2006
Seriously, did you honestly expect to be able to use a UK registration in another country?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Seriously, did you honestly expect to be able to use a UK registration in another country?

could do, if you are touring
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
KeithL wrote:could do, if you are touring

Keith, going from his original question that's not what his intent is.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
KeithL wrote:could do, if you are touring

Keith, going from his original question that's not what his intent is.

Given that Dubai won't let you register a RHD vehicle, I thought I'd ask the question, there might be some way that I can use my vehicle there.
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 31, 2006
GSRider wrote:Given that Dubai won't let you register a RHD vehicle, I thought I'd ask the question, there might be some way that I can use my vehicle there.

That part I understand, but I really struggle with the logic of retaining your plates for use here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
GSRider wrote:Given that Dubai won't let you register a RHD vehicle, I thought I'd ask the question, there might be some way that I can use my vehicle there.

That part I understand, but I really struggle with the logic of retaining your plates for use here.

The fact is that I intend to use the car there for a 12 month period (max) and then return it to the UK - hence why I'm asking. Also that I can't get Dubai plates...
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 31, 2006
Simple answer - you can't do what you intend to.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
UK insurers would not cover use in UAE

UAE insurers will not insure this car.

So like X says the simple answer is NO
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 31, 2006
will need to leave the car here as I ain't selling it... oh well will buy another in Dubai I guess. I will be bringing my two motorbikes and hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with them.
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 01, 2006
GSRider wrote:will need to leave the car here as I ain't selling it... oh well will buy another in Dubai I guess. I will be bringing my two motorbikes and hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with them.

But your bikes are right-hand-drive, right?

:twisted:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 01, 2006
gtmash wrote:
GSRider wrote:will need to leave the car here as I ain't selling it... oh well will buy another in Dubai I guess. I will be bringing my two motorbikes and hopefully there shouldn't be any issues with them.

But your bikes are right-hand-drive, right?

Bikes are neither right or left....there are never any problems with them...

:twisted:
GSRider
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto