Wishful Rule

Topic locked
Wishful rule Aug 15, 2006
i wish there were a rule where if you want to give up your present country's citizenship and get UAE nationaltiy, all you would have to do is give up your passport, pay a fee and get it.

I'd give up my US Citizenship in a heartbeat!

Tell me such a rule exists or i'm juts dreaming?

nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
there are ways around giving up your passport and getting a uae citizenship.....
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

ur kidding Aug 15, 2006
There are? do you know of any? seriously.. besides marrying a uae citizen.. I dont think my girlfriend would approve of that :P
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
well i guess its also easier if someone in your family is local....or you have very very very high friends....but even if your married to a local it would take a long time to get approved...i think, depends on the case. my friend shes trying to get her husband a uae passport...its been 4 years. me...well, im special. :lol:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2006
bushra21 wrote:well i guess its also easier if someone in your family is local....or you have very very very high friends....but even if your married to a local it would take a long time to get approved...i think, depends on the case. my friend shes trying to get her husband a uae passport...its been 4 years. me...well, im special. :lol:

bushra dont tell me there are ways :shock: i dont know of any
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2006
Never heard of any way unless you know someone in very high place.

Also Local women are not supposed to marry foreigners.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 15, 2006
I heard it's possible if you've lived here a long time (20+ years or so), become Muslim if you're not, and give up current nationality. Story came from expat who's been here 20+ years and was curious about it. Don't know where they got information from though.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Never heard of any way unless you know someone in very high place.

Also Local women are not supposed to marry foreigners.

my mum married a foreigner.....and as of today im local...and and and :twisted: hahaha
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2006
sharewadi wrote:I heard it's possible if you've lived here a long time (20+ years or so), become Muslim if you're not, and give up current nationality. Story came from expat who's been here 20+ years and was curious about it. Don't know where they got information from though.

and you can only get a uae passport if someone (father) is local, or mum (if parents are divorced)..or through marriage....i dont know if i should mention here how to go about not giving up your current nationality however.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2006
bushra21 wrote:and you can only get a uae passport if someone (father) is local, or mum (if parents are divorced)..or through marriage....i dont know if i should mention here how to go about not giving up your current nationality however.

Depends how anonymous you think you can stay, and how much wasta you have if you become de-anonymized :shock: .

That's funny, I thought I replied to rosemary & thyme's comment - there's a handful of local women who married foreign men (apparently there's a few in Saudi too), but post is not there now :shock: .
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

shucks! Aug 15, 2006
I actually called and asked a lawyer if there was a simple way to just exchange citizenships if ur fed up with yours..

his answer was no..

laws laws laws! You would think they'd be glad if someone wants to give up their citizenship for theirs..

ah well.. onward and upward.. life goes on..
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 16, 2006
You can be a dual citizen and have a UAE citizenship. That is not the issue, the issue is that you can't just "apply" .. it has to come with a presedential decree, and you need ot know someone close to that level to get it ! :)

Just wondering why do you want the citizenship, when if you buy a property you can get a residency for as long as you keep the real estate?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 16, 2006
Forgot to mention if you dont speak Arabic and of Muslim religion .. I would say UAE citizenship is almost impossible.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

hmm.. Aug 16, 2006
yeah I know if you have property you get residency for as long as u own the property.

Why I wanna give mine up? Lets just say.. I don't wanna associate myself with a country, who has a president that believes in destruction and power over muslims but thats discussion for another time.

yeah i'm muslim and I understand arabic, but i dont speak it very well. been out of touch :P

ah well..
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 16, 2006
MaaaD wrote:You can be a dual citizen and have a UAE citizenship. That is not the issue, the issue is that you can't just "apply" .. it has to come with a presedential decree, and you need ot know someone close to that level to get it ! :)

Just wondering why do you want the citizenship, when if you buy a property you can get a residency for as long as you keep the real estate?

but according to UAE law, you cannot hold dual citizenship...or did that change recently. Because when I asked them why they needed my US passport they said that you can only hold one citizenship, UAE.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 16, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
MaaaD wrote:You can be a dual citizen and have a UAE citizenship. That is not the issue, the issue is that you can't just "apply" .. it has to come with a presedential decree, and you need ot know someone close to that level to get it ! :)

but according to UAE law, you cannot hold dual citizenship...or did that change recently. Because when I asked them why they needed my US passport they said that you can only hold one citizenship, UAE.

Nope...no changes, the law still stands, noDual citizenship, although i hear it easy just to go to the embassy and get another one lol
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 16, 2006
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

Nope...no changes, the law still stands, noDual citizenship, although i hear it easy just to go to the embassy and get another one lol

yeah it is, you just need to right a letter saying your handing in your passport but not renouncing citizenship and you can get your passport back... i must say i do like my uae passport picture far better than the others
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 16, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

yeah it is, you just need to right a letter saying your handing in your passport but not renouncing citizenship and you can get your passport back... i must say i do like my uae passport picture far better than the others

"others"...........exactly how many others are we talking about? :lol:
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 16, 2006
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

well that depends, do you work for the uae govt....lol
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: hmm.. Aug 16, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:yeah I know if you have property you get residency for as long as u own the property.

Why I wanna give mine up? Lets just say.. I don't wanna associate myself with a country, who has a president that believes in destruction and power over muslims but thats discussion for another time.

yeah i'm muslim and I understand arabic, but i dont speak it very well. been out of touch

ah well..

No worries, if you don't want your USA citizenship because of its policies I am sure there is another country willing to take you (as it seems it may not be possible for UAE). Try Oman, Yemen, etc. specially since the reason is USA policy and it is unlikely to change drastically regardless of who is President for the forseable decades. Good luck specially since I beleive your sincerity!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 16, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
uae75 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

well that depends, do you work for the uae govt....lol

No i dont, but just incase someone else is, keep the exact number to urself lol
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 16, 2006
yeah,, good idea 75....

concord, i think the same rule applies there as well...not the dual citizen thingy but about the father being a citizen and so on, i think, i could be wrong though
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 17, 2006
guys you are right the UAE doesnt accept dual citizenship, however as bushra said there are ways around it.

Actually the US also doesnt allow a US citizen to naturalize in any other country after getting you US citizenship. Before, thats another story.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 17, 2006
I understood that UAE citizens were restricted from having other nationalities. It might vary depending on the reason for nationality.

As a generalisation, a nationality obtained by right (country of birth, parents nationality) is a lot "stickier" than a nationality obtained by choice (eg because you live there, married someone from there, etc). So it's more common to have to give up a nationality if you want a new one because of choice.

Some countries are a lot more fussy about that than others.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum