What's The Best Thing About Dubai???

Topic locked
Jul 03, 2006
what is it with you lebanese?

it's the same slick haired lebanese guys cooking here as they are in lebanon.

maybe it's the climate, but i think you just like to complain 8)

terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 03, 2006
terranova wrote:what is it with you lebanese?

well, i dont think the chinese food here is the same as in china ,and lebanese food here sux in comparison with what u get in leb. its the Ingredients my dear.. well XRW-147 agrees with us and he is not lebanese :twisted: :twisted:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 03, 2006

:lol: @ slick haired

And yeah Lebanese food here doesn't even come close to what we have in Lebanon...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 04, 2006
Truly, the best things are the beaches-easy access, beautiful water and ideal for water sports such as snorkelling, kite surfing, surf skiing etc. The water does get too hot and the beach is unpleasant at this time of year hence you hit the indoors (we arrived in Summer from winter and the kids coped really well-tere is no need to leave for the two month entire school break-that is just expat overkill). Restaurants and night life are pretty awesome here-great bars, alfresco dining, great restaurants with fabulous views and beautiful settings. Some bars have ladies nights and coupons for free drinks for the ladies. You can eat cheap and well or expensive and well too. Dubai has nice parks too and there is a zoo-small and old fashioned but the animals are well cared for-complaints about this place come from people that obviously can't remember going to a zoo in their first world country when they were a child or have never actually been to a real third world country and seen cruelty-there is a new zoo being built but for the two dirhams it is worthwhile to see the gorilla -fabulous!! Malls offer shopping, cafes, spas, restaurants etc. There are also water parks and other Emirates to visit. There is dune bashing, quad biking etc-there are also clubs with pools if this is your thing.There isn't anything you cannot get or cannot do really-if someone tells you otherwise they either haven't looked or are a perpetual misery guts.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 04, 2006

Like I have already mentioned, variety is not an issue here you have everything from Asian to Zimbabwean . But the authenticity and quality remains lacking.

I don't know why you are singling out (complaining about) a certain ethnic group here but whether it be Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Mexican, etc it doesn't tastes the way it really should here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:

Like I have already mentioned, variety is not an issue here you have everything from Asian to Zimbabwean . But the authenticity and quality remains lacking.

I don't know why you are singling out (complaining about) a certain ethnic group here but whether it be Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Mexican, etc it doesn't tastes the way it really should here.

Like the rest of the place...it is a nice facade, but not very authentic when you get down to it. But what the hell...its home!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 05, 2006
Cinnabon and Dunkin' Donuts taste like they should..........................so does Subway, Pizza Hut, KFC, Hardees, McDonalds, Burger King -seems to leave a bad taste in X's mouth tho'...........
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 05, 2006
Dunkin doughnuts is so very average .... do they have krispy kreme there??
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 05, 2006
ajb wrote:Dunkin doughnuts is so very average .... do they have krispy kreme there??

A connoisseur of doughnuts. Something to admire in a person.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 05, 2006
GAB wrote:Cinnabon and Dunkin' Donuts taste like they should..........................so does Subway, Pizza Hut, KFC, Hardees, McDonalds, Burger King -seems to leave a bad taste in X's mouth tho'...........

All part of a complete diet!

Cinnabon and Dunkin are alright - except for choco/custard donuts
Subway - vegies taste stale
Pizza hut - cheese don't taste as nice here. "If only they had the donkey stuff" - says Liban
KFC - nothing I can eat there and even if I did I'd be better off drinking a bottle of oil
Hardees - Only eat curly fries
Maccas - Last had that when I was in Uni and it still prob tastes like cardboard
BK - :? :? :? I think I would have been the one leaving the taste G :lol:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 05, 2006
GAB wrote:
ajb wrote:Dunkin doughnuts is so very average .... do they have krispy kreme there??

A connoisseur of doughnuts. Something to admire in a person.

It makes the 3 hr flight to sydney all worthwhile due to the krispy kreme at the airport!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 05, 2006
Geez, you guys take your junk food seriously!! Boil a can of condensed milk for 3 hours- now that is heaven!! :D
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 05, 2006
GAB wrote:Boil a can of condensed milk for 3 hours- now that is heaven!! :D

G, now if I am not mistaken the first can opener was invented in 1858...it is now the year 2006... where have you been?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 05, 2006
I'll have to try that one as I love condensed milk!!!

Krispy kreme is magical and we dont get them in NZ :(
I even looked at trying to buy the franchise for NZ but you had to have a net worth of some $30 or $40 million and experience in the food industry to even register your interest. Will have to wait a few more years for that one I guess ;)
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 05, 2006
Subway here has bad vegetables and the bread isn't 'oven fresh.' And they don't put enough vegetables on the sandwiches also.
Cinnabon - charged for extra syrup.
Pizza Hut - cheese DEFINATELY isn't the same.

That's why I go for the Mid-Eastern or Indian food.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 05, 2006
I missed all the talk of junk food - my favourite topic!!

Ok, someone answer me a question please:

Do McDonalds in Dubai do breakfast? You know, Egg McMuffins, hash browns etc?? Only they didn't at the airport and I was most disappointed!! Having a Quarter Pounder and fries at 7am isn't as appealing as you'd think!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 05, 2006
You can guarantee that Bacon and Egg McMuffin is not available here!

So food and Dubai have something in common...junk!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jul 05, 2006
Is manakesh the junk food of the middle east? it's so addictive and delicious and one of the great things in Dubai
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 05, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:

G, now if I am not mistaken the first can opener was invented in 1858...it is now the year 2006... where have you been?

You get caramel luvee! I could swim in the stuff. Not good for the teeth but if one does have them one does not care! :P Note: Don't boil dry as the can expands from both ends and can explode!! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 06, 2006
GAB wrote:You get caramel luvee! I could swim in the stuff. Not good for the teeth but if one does have them one does not care! :P Note: Don't boil dry as the can expands from both ends and can explode!! :shock:

:lol: I'm Azn, u don't think I am a condense milk addict? :P
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 06, 2006
Jees you guys

A lot of you make Dubai sound a really crummy place to be. I have noticed a lot of really negative opinions about Dubai on this forum.

It is interesting for someone who has been visiting this and other sites to see the change of attitude towards Dubai over the last 6-9 months. My view as an observer is that the general opinion of people who know and or live in Dubai has become more negative during the time I have been viewing the forums.

I have visited Dubai many time over the last 4 years and I am moving to Dubai later in the year. Obviously, I will make my own mind up when I am there, but I do feel far less enthusiatic about the move than I did twelve months ago, because of all the negative stuff I read on the various Forums.

Do you guys feel a change in peoples attitudes towards Dubai?
YabbaYabba
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 06, 2006
YabbaYabba wrote:Jees you guys

A lot of you make Dubai sound a really crummy place to be. I have noticed a lot of really negative opinions about Dubai on this forum.

It is interesting for someone who has been visiting this and other sites to see the change of attitude towards Dubai over the last 6-9 months. My view as an observer is that the general opinion of people who know and or live in Dubai has become more negative during the time I have been viewing the forums.

I have visited Dubai many time over the last 4 years and I am moving to Dubai later in the year. Obviously, I will make my own mind up when I am there, but I do feel far less enthusiatic about the move than I did twelve months ago, because of all the negative stuff I read on the various Forums.

Do you guys feel a change in peoples attitudes towards Dubai?

I dont accept your observations.

Many of us have a winge, it's natural to do it, nowhere is perfect, anyone who believes wherever they are is paradise is a fool

If you took the time to read all the post the positive far outways the negative.
arniegang

Jul 06, 2006
Im sure if you started a post we could all have a good winge about our home countries too ....
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 06, 2006
very true AJB and we do, quite often

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Jul 06, 2006
Mmm

I think you should look at the question that was asked that started the thread!

I was actually looking forward to so interesting and informative answers to that question
YabbaYabba
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 06, 2006
GAB wrote:
XRW-147 wrote:

You get caramel luvee! I could swim in the stuff. Not good for the teeth but if one does have them one does not care! :P Note: Don't boil dry as the can expands from both ends and can explode!! :shock:

Never quite got an answer on the availability of Krispy Kreme ... anyone know this one?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 06, 2006
ajb wrote:Im sure if you started a post we could all have a good winge about our home countries too ....
Being British

One of the British national daily newspapers is asking readers What it means to be British?" Some of the emails are hilarious but this is one from a chap in Switzerland...

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub For a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign.

Oh and!!!!!

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all The way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

NOT TO MENTION...

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

42 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker pulling accidents.

101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic toys pulled out of the soles of their feet.

8 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

and finally.........

In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the toilet.

Are you proud to be British?

RULE BRITANNIA!!!
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 06, 2006
scarlet wrote:Is manakesh the junk food of the middle east? it's so addictive and delicious and one of the great things in Dubai

naaa its not junk at all we usually have it for breakfast in lebanon ... where the food is amzing and the weather is so fine ... :oops: soo no comparison with the junk food anywhere.. i am glad u like it i am addicted too 8) 8) 8) oh to Manakeesh *u know just in case*
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 06, 2006
Has anyone been to the Snow Dome ?

What is like and how expensive is it?
YabbaYabba
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 06, 2006
YabbaYabba wrote:Has anyone been to the Snow Dome ?

What is like and how expensive is it?

Yep its great - but don't expect the alps - its far better than either of the 2 in the UK

its about 250aed for 2 hours

Lets have a DF ski trip???
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat