Cars

Topic locked
cars Jun 06, 2006
Hi,

I have tried search of websites for cars prices, but have had no luck. The ones I have found have very few venhicles. Can anyone direct me to a similar site such as car parkers price guide, or autotrader for Dubai?

Cheers.

onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 06, 2006
Go to an Emarat or Eppco and buy the Auto trader or Auto mart. One of them has a new car price guide towards the back of the book. No useful online reference by either of these companies.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 06, 2006
www.gulfnews.com classifieds. khaleej times has same.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 06, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Go to an Emarat or Eppco and buy the Auto trader or Auto mart. One of them has a new car price guide towards the back of the book. No useful online reference by either of these companies.

That's a bit of a bummer!! You'd think they'd put something like that online!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 06, 2006
Guess I'll have to wait until I get to Dubai then. In the mean time, anyone have an a rough idea on how much a Boxster, Merc SLK, or Range Rover cost, new and few years old? Are cars alot cheaper than the UK, by maybe 30%?
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 06, 2006
the_zooter wrote:That's a bit of a bummer!! You'd think they'd put something like that online!

A bummer indeed, but they wouldn't make money on that now, would they? Unless of course they charge for on-line subscritions but when the book itself costs 5dhs its kinda futile.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 06, 2006
onetickin wrote:Guess I'll have to wait until I get to Dubai then. In the mean time, anyone have an a rough idea on how much a Boxster, Merc SLK, or Range Rover cost, new and few years old? Are cars alot cheaper than the UK, by maybe 30%?

You are correct - cars are around 30% cheaper than the UK here.

Boxzter pricing - http://www.porschedubai.com/models/Boxter.htm

SLK starts at AED165k

Range Rover starts at AED250k

Above are new car prices. For used cars >1yo take 15-20% off, 1-2 take 15-25% 2-3 take 25-35% of new car prices.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 06, 2006
onetickin wrote:Guess I'll have to wait until I get to Dubai then. In the mean time, anyone have an a rough idea on how much a Boxster, Merc SLK, or Range Rover cost, new and few years old? Are cars alot cheaper than the UK, by maybe 30%?

I bought a 99 Boxster for AED 104,500, but I have seen some in Al Aweer for AED 80k to as low as AED 62k dh for a 98 model. Mine comes with the Litronic xenion upgrade, 3-spoke steering wheel, original Porsche Boxster hard top, Eibach lowering springs and porsche alloy sport rims (non-stock, but original Porsche), and I got it from House of Cars.

A used Range Rover Sport would set you back in the region of AED 280k, with very low mileage -- that's what I've been in the automags.

Not sure what they go for in the UK. You can check more prices here
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 07, 2006
I'm just finding it very difficult to comprehend how car prices in Dubai are that cheap!!

Boxster = 159,700 AED = £24k (£33k in UK)
Boxster S = 186,200 AED = £28k (£39k in UK)

I've had look on Porsche's website, for both the UK & UAE, and the prices are roughly 30% cheaper. That is such a good deal, plus petrol is so cheap.

Is insurance around 4.5% as well, and you can't get full comp once it's over 5 years old?

AED 280K for a used Range Rover, I'd rather buy a brand new bottom of the range 911.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 07, 2006
Believe it buddy, they are really much cheaper here.

Insurance varies according to age, driving experience and type of vehicle. Lets just say you get reemed (10%) by the insurance companies for being younger than 25. Between 25 - 30 is like being spanked (5-10%) and 30+ you'll be fine (4-7%).

Yes, no full comprehensive for vehicles greater than 5 years.

280k is for a RR Sport. You can pick up a used RR (1-3yo) for around 160-200k.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 07, 2006
onetickin wrote:I'm just finding it very difficult to comprehend how car prices in Dubai are that cheap!!

Boxster = 159,700 AED = £24k (£33k in UK)
Boxster S = 186,200 AED = £28k (£39k in UK)

I've had look on Porsche's website, for both the UK & UAE, and the prices are roughly 30% cheaper. That is such a good deal, plus petrol is so cheap.

Is insurance around 4.5% as well, and you can't get full comp once it's over 5 years old?

AED 280K for a used Range Rover, I'd rather buy a brand new bottom of the range 911.

You think you're surprised -- I hail from Singapore, and back home, a Honda Civic costs S$70,000, which works out roughly to around AED 150,000, which EASILY buys me the top-of-the-line Honda S2000 here, with options AND insurance for 2 years AND an extended warranty.

Plus, petrol is relatively cheaper here as well, and I'm not having any problems with the quality of petrol.

That said, my only frustrations here is that nothing is EVER done on time. Banks, dealers, etc all promise to get something done by a certain date, but it NEVER happens earlier, usually later (1 to 2 days later), if at all. Once you learn to get over this unpredictability (best of all, no one calls to tell you things will happen late), you'll love it here in Dubai.
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 07, 2006
I was in Singapore last summer, and the prices there are the highest in the World!!

Do you think it's worth buying something a couple of years old, or go with a brand new car?
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 07, 2006
onetickin wrote:I was in Singapore last summer, and the prices there are the highest in the World!!

Do you think it's worth buying something a couple of years old, or go with a brand new car?

Depends on you....

A "new" used car like what you speak of will save you quite a bit. However, if you like the smell of a new car and more importantly, keeping in mind that people in Dubai don't quite understand the concept of a break-in period, you might want to spend a little more for new.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
onetickin wrote:I was in Singapore last summer, and the prices there are the highest in the World!!

It depends. Buying used means you accept that you are buying the car in as-in condition, and any repairs after collection *may* have to be borne by you if the dealer does not offer any form of waranty. As for having the first owner take thie first hit, that is not always true and depends on what kid of car you are buying.

Generally speaking, buying a car that is in large supply in the used car market will obviously see higher drops in resale value, while cars that have a higher demand (e.g. Boxster seems to be in good demand, so prices remain fairly high in comparison).

The 2nd hand market here is thriving due to the fact that most people here are expatriates, and prices are quite decent for used cars. If you are buying used, I would also recommend getting it from a reptutable dealers. I have heard nightmare cases from friends here who have dealt with some more 'prominent' dealers, and my lesson learnt here is to find the right person in the right dealership.
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 08, 2006
ghoonk wrote:The 2nd hand market here is thriving due to the fact that most people here are expatriates, and prices are quite decent for used cars. If you are buying used, I would also recommend getting it from a reptutable dealers. I have heard nightmare cases from friends here who have dealt with some more 'prominent' dealers, and my lesson learnt here is to find the right person in the right dealership.

Yeah, I've heard a few stories too from what I thought where "reputable" dealers. Including my last second hand car. Actually, now, I don't think there any "reputable" dealers here (but then 2nd hand car salesmen have a poor reputation the world over don't they :? ).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 08, 2006
New or used car salesman are right up (down) there with lawyers and accountants :D
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2006
a very accurate summary X

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 10, 2006
Sorry - what are you saying about Accountants, X???

And Arnie - I'm disgusted at you in agreeing with him!!

To say that Used Car Salesmen are on a par with Accountants - well, I'm shocked!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 10, 2006
Sharks the lot of them buddy, yes including accountants.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Jun 10, 2006
arniegang wrote:Sharks the lot of them buddy, yes including accountants.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not happy about that!! :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 10, 2006
i am not happy about my accountants fee's either

:P :P :P :P :P
arniegang

Jun 11, 2006
DIY Arnie.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2006
Impossible to DIY in UK at my level X. I need to employ an accountant who is creative in tax evasion. :D
arniegang

Jun 11, 2006
so he can pocket the money he saved for you on the taxes ....
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2006
A good accountant when i am subject to 40% tax is worth every penny. He saves me far more than what i pay him.

:D
arniegang

Jun 11, 2006
I detest the term "tax evasion". That makes it sound so criminal :wink: Its a systematic artform and should be respected accordingly.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto