Family On Benefits Handed Keys To £2million Luxury 'council'

Topic locked
family on benefits handed keys to £2million luxury 'council' Jun 08, 2012
A family of Somali benefits claimants living in a £2million home courtesy of the taxpayer admitted they couldn’t believe their luck yesterday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1xBZQ0SFK

Shade
BANNED

Re: Family On Benefits Handed Keys To £2million Luxury 'coun Jun 08, 2012
Well what actually is the issue here?

The nationality of the recipients (Somali and in the other case, Indian) who won the lottery?

If they were white Britons, would people think it was "OK"?

The government for providing for people on the dole (regardless of nationality) on such a grand scale?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The Daily Mail is known for sensationalist reporting and is a right wing paper.

Look beyond the hype and it is all about race.

Housing benefit is given to people in work too (and IIRC a high proportion of those receiving it are working), and in this case the house is owned by the council.

The benefits they are receiving, according to the article, does not include unemployment benefit - so they are in work, it seems. The article states that the actual benefits aren't known and it appears to be just a piece about the neighbours not being happy that this family of 10 has been housed by the council and is paying the rent that the council set. :roll:

The family have been living there for a year, and the only complaints seem to be that the council is charging them a low rent, and that they seem to be earning enough to buy a TV and carpets, and that some other family members were seen driving in a new car. WTF??

And the article says they had been living in temporary accommodation 'for years' prior to getting allocated this house.

Given that asylum seekers can't work, it is clear that these people are in the country legally and were on the waiting list until over a year ago. One wonders whether we'd have the same article if the family happened to be a white family of 10 who worked and were similarly eligible for income support and housing. I doubt it.

A fellow inhabitant, Mohamed, 55, said: 'We were on the council waiting list. All adults in the home are on housing benefit and income support.
The family are understood to pay the council just over £1,000 a month in rent, yet if the property were rented on the private market it could command up to £6,000 a month....

It is unclear when the Somali family, who have been living in the house for about a year, came to the UK and whether they arrived as asylum seekers. The precise breakdown of the benefits they receive is not known.

i.e. typical DM hype and rant.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Look beyond the hype and it is all about race.

Yup.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: family on benefits handed keys to £2million luxury 'coun Jun 08, 2012
"One wonders whether we'd have the same article if the family happened to be a white family of 10 who worked and were similarly eligible for income support and housing. I doubt it."

Too right, if they were white they probably wouldn't get a penny. Immigrants get priority over ethnic white Britons on council house and accomodation waiting lists.
urban2
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: family on benefits handed keys to £2million luxury 'coun Jun 09, 2012
The family are understood to pay the council just over £1,000 a month in rent, yet if the property were rented on the private market it could command up to £6,000 a month.

As the house is owned by the council, which has set an artificially low rent, the case is not covered by the Coalition’s benefit reforms, which are designed to stop large families claiming huge sums in benefits to live in mansions far beyond the reach of most hard-working taxpayers.

All adults in the home are on housing benefit and income support.

‘Most people in the country couldn’t afford such a house. It seems wrong, particularly when families are struggling during this recession.

‘Then we see new carpets and TVs being brought in. Where’s the fairness in that?

Robert Oxley, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said the case showed why benefit reform was ‘necessary – to ensure that there is a safety-net for the poorest and most vulnerable, while protecting taxpayers against paying for big, expensive houses’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1xEaJxNju
jackpott: I agree, every normal person is outraged by this story.
Shade
BANNED

Re: Family On Benefits Handed Keys To £2million Luxury 'coun Jun 09, 2012
Hey you Brits! Stop washing your dirty linen here on Dubaiforums! :P
This moaning and racism is ugly "ugh"!!
You seem to be against any race if its got a brown or a black face, throw in Islam and your blood boils over; but you have always been too happy to exploit and partake of the bounties their countries offer. Dubai and the UAE is full of you. Why are you here??? :shock:
Go home and solve your problems. Many thanks!! :bigsmurf:
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Family On Benefits Handed Keys To £2million Luxury 'coun Jun 09, 2012
FF I'd go home tomorrrow if i could get those benefits or even a job....why do you think most of us are here, because we like the sun??? I think you with your anti british prejuice mentioned Islam and colour, nobody else. FYI some of the biggest exploiters of the benefits system in the UK are from Albania and the poorer Eastern european countries. Not sur eif they fit your (racist) definition of coloured or Islamic.

Ive heard this garbage about exploitation so many times, pity you cant be a bit original. The British working class were also exploited just a much as their colonial counterparts. I was amazed when I joined the mining industry in the Uk in the 70's to see old men with serious health and injuries problems still working. My grandad worked 6 days a week in a textile factory for most of his life from when he was 14 to when he was 70 and ended up deaf and nearly blind. He told me in WW1 they nearly starved as the food almost ran out due to the attacks on shipping. My father passed all his exams to go to a gammar school but never went as his mother couldnt afford the uniform. Is this the 'bounty' you are referring to???
urban2
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Family On Benefits Handed Keys To £2million Luxury 'coun Jun 10, 2012
Just like this forum, racism is fine as long as it's against whites.
Shade
BANNED

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk