What Google And Facebook Hide

Topic locked
What Google and Facebook Hide Mar 27, 2012
We shall also say NO to What Google and Facebook Hide...

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Say NO To ACTA Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing Berrin, I found his points around these quotes very important...

It is amazing to think about what has been filtered out for us and what is being allowed in our little bubble and we don't have a say in the criteria being used.

"What we're seeing is a passing of the torch, from human gatekeepers to algorithmic ones." And the thing is that the algorithms don't yet have the kind of embedded ethics that the editors did."

"You couldn't have a functioning democracy if citizens didn't get a good flow of information." So the newspaper editors realized their important job and media ethics emerged. It wasn't perfect but it got everyone through the last century.

Filters should sort by topics that are relevant, important, uncomfortable, challenging, and other points of view - and that isn't what is happening with the alogrithmic filtering that is being implemented by Google, Facebook etc.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Say NO To ACTA Mar 28, 2012
Berrin wrote:What Google and Facebook Hide
Google does not hide it.
If you don't like google search results you can always use bing, ask, yahoo or duckduckgo or you can start your own search engine.

Or you can use google through a proxy in another country to get different results.

If you are looking for news you can always visit a news portal that you trust and watch the news directly.
I don't see anything wrong with google trying to provide more relevant results to people in different locations.

kanelli wrote:Filters should sort by topics that are relevant, important, uncomfortable, challenging, and other points of view

How does google know what is comfortable or uncomfortable, or what is challenging or what is your point of view?
Can you think of an algorithmic criteria that will make these kind of filters possible?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: What Google And Facebook Hide Mar 28, 2012
I think his point was that the newspaper editors were using judgement about those ranges of topics for their readers, but the point is that the new algorithmic filters cannot use such judgement. I can't think of how they can do that, so I wish they wouldn't use the filters at all. Basically, I think it comes down to money, targeting links and advertising to people to increase profits. If you think about it, big business is what creates most of the problems we can see.

All computer users are not experts and it seems to be increasingly difficult for people to understand how info is shared and used, and how they can protect their privacy and be aware of the ins and outs of the content being chosen for them by such filters. If young people are viewing only content shaped by a limited world view, does that make them useful voters when they reach voting age?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: What Google And Facebook Hide Mar 28, 2012
Everyone does it, my mobile is from the UK and installed yahoo news app gives me a totally different bunch of news headlines than if I use my laptop. Sometimes on an interesting story I can't even trace the same story on yahoo on my laptop.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What Google And Facebook Hide Apr 02, 2012
Andyba wrote:Google does not hide it.
If you don't like google search results you can always use bing, ask, yahoo or duckduckgo or you can start your own search engine.

well i guess algorithmic criteria is used by all of those search engines. The point we are making is that who gives them the criteria for algorithmic filtering? and what for? we as the world citizens have the right to reach all types of news and info we want, as long as it comes for free. we decide what we want to read on the internet and consequently come to some kind of conclusion over it ..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: What Google And Facebook Hide Apr 30, 2012
I had heard about Google that Google is tracking users personal data when they disable cookies. I think Google and Facebook has been panalized for same.
Brynnae
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk