Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class

Topic locked
Malaysia Air Bans Babies in First Class Jun 29, 2011
The article is brief, but the comments are very entertaining.

To the left is a "vote" on the banning. I chose the third option as it is the fairest. I can't believe that people suggest that airlines provide "nannies" (for an additional fee) to take care of the children.

This got me to thinking that airlines that have a number of flights a day to one destination might consider a baby free flight. Emirates has 2 flights a day to NY. Be nice if one of them were baby free. Or at least ban the kiddies from first and business.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/mala ... 6083246691

Excerpts:

MALAYSIA Airlines is to ban babies travelling in first class on the airline's new Airbus A380 and Boeing 747-400 fleet.

The airline said they have introduced the baby ban after receiving a number of complaints about crying infants from first class passengers, the Australia Business Traveller reports.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class Jun 29, 2011
Thank god ! I look forward in the future to baby and runt free malls, stores, beaches, theaters, resturants and idealy a city.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class Jun 29, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:Thank god ! I look forward in the future to baby and runt free malls, stores, beaches, theaters, resturants and idealy a city.

Jeez munchkin, I remember the day, not that long ago, that you were hankering after becoming a daddy! What's happened? I think a Pakistani/Filipino baby would be really cute! And you're legal now so no problem on that score! You're not firing blanks are you? :?
Bethsmum

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class Jun 30, 2011
I agree with this comment - "I guess it won't be long before we put anyone under the age of 12 in the cargo with animals. Seems thats how a lot of people think of children. I've had to put up with a lot of arrogant, inconsiderate adults on flights who can stink and complain just as loud as any child."

I detest people who seem to forget that they were once babies and children too, and that people of all ages have a place in society. Young people would love to shut the children and elderly away out of sight because they are so inconvenient to have around, but this is selfish.

How about the drunks, people with major body odour, snorers, and fat people whose bodies pour into your seat? Flying packed into a metal tube with hundreds of others in no picnic for anyone. If rich families want to pay thousands extra to sit in 1st class the airlines should be happy to accommodate those with babies.

How about airlines supplying noise-cancelling earphones in all classes to block out the noise from others, or passengers who complain about spending hundreds and thousands on flights only to hear babies cry can invest in their own set of noise-cancelling earphones?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Don't blame the messenger K.
They are only doing what the people from 1st class have requested.
I am sure that you have seen people in first class and a maid down the back with the kids.
Thats how they prefer it to be.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I've never been in 1st class, always travel coach. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I've never been in 1st class, always travel coach. :D

Yeh right.
benwj

Yeah, it is right. We are middle-class folk who would rather spend a few "extra" thousand on saving for retirement or kids university tuition fees rather than buying first class air tickets to travel around.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Yeah, it is right. We are middle-class folk who would rather spend a few "extra" thousand on saving for retirement or kids university tuition fees rather than buying first class air tickets to travel around.

Yawn.
Bethsmum

As for fat people, my understanding is that they have to pay the price for 2 economy seats for the "over flow", at least in the US they do.

This business of "you were a baby once" is rubbish. Today parents think that the everyone should accommodate and tolerate their kids. That's not how the world works. Because a child crying and acting up is "cute" in the eyes of the parents doesn't mean that they are cute in everyone elses eyes. It appears that the airline is accommodating those passengers who are entitled to a comfortable flight. What is the difference between the obnoxious drunk sitting near you or the screaming kid sitting near you? Both are terribly annoying. Well, there is a difference: the drunk isn't crapping in his pants needing a diaper change, he isn't throwing up and stinking up the area, he isn't having a tantrum, he isn't running up and down the aisle, and if he get's too loud you can complain and he will be spoken to. But complain about a kid, and you're a bad person???

So at the expense of your fellow passengers, to save for retirement or kids university, your fellow passengers should put up with your choices??

All these parents who feel so deeply offended by the objections of passengers who find their kids annoying, why don't you campaign to have a "kids only" section? Why don't you campaign so that you have an area where every other parent who thinks like you can "enjoy" your kids and leave the other passengers to enjoy their flight in a kids free environment.

Stop thinking that the universe revolves around your children. They are yours, they are in your universe, and many people don't want to share your universe.

I bet those parents who finally get to have a night out without the kids would find it annoying to spend money on what they had hoped to be a nice dinner, but was disrupted by some other people who brought their kids along and the kids are running around, banging into chairs, being noisy. Highly doubt they would find it "cute", but more likely annoying. So here you are with kids, finding other peoples kids, annoying.

You can campaign all you want to make everything in your path "kid friendly" but you can't make people feel all warm and fuzzy over obnoxious kids - and the obnoxious parents who are offended by the lack of "consideration" given to their kids.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

First of all, it isn't rubbish to remind people that they were all babies and children once. What is rubbish is you saying that parents think their kids crying and acting up is cute. No parent thinks that behaviour is cute. The majority of parents do their best to entertain and look after their kids on flights so that they don't disturb others. How rude if people think that families living abroad should think about staying home for years and not go back to their home country to visit their families just because their kids might act up and ruin someone's sleep on a flight. Adults and kids deserve a comfortable and peaceful flight and that is what they want. No family goes on a flight determined to make everyone else miserable.

Like I said, invest in some noise-cancelling earphones or fork over extra money to fly in first class or business class if you can't stand families with small kids who primarily travel in coach. My world should not revolve around selfish people who have no understanding or compassion for others. Put your own money where your mouth is.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:First of all, it isn't rubbish to remind people that they were all babies and children once. What is rubbish is you saying that parents think their kids crying and acting up is cute. No parent thinks that behaviour is cute. The majority of parents do their best to entertain and look after their kids on flights so that they don't disturb others. How rude if people think that families living abroad should think about staying home for years and not go back to their home country to visit their families just because their kids might act up and ruin someone's sleep on a flight. Adults and kids deserve a comfortable and peaceful flight and that is what they want. No family goes on a flight determined to make everyone else miserable.

Like I said, invest in some noise-cancelling earphones or fork over extra money to fly in first class or business class if you can't stand families with small kids who primarily travel in coach. My world should not revolve around selfish people who have no understanding or compassion for others. Put your own money where your mouth is.

You saying we were all babies once is not a hot news flash. I think we are all aware of it. The difference is most people who object to children TODAY are because they have been made to become spoiled little brats because of the attitude passed on to them by the parents. I've had parents with annoying kids who will look at you with that shiteating grin and you can see it all over their face "Isn't he/she cute??" I've seen parents let their kids crawl around and run up and down the aisle and "play", just so that they can put their head back and relax. You had them, take care of them!!! Wouldn't it be easier for everyone - passengers, parents, kids if they just gave them kids some sleeping meds??

How about YOU buy me noise-cancelling earphones?? I guess you are in agreement that those earphones are necessary. :) Why should I be made to go to the expense when it's other peoples kids that are kicking up and disturbing people? I do fork over extra money to sit in business (when I don't get my auto upgrade)!!! And why do I go in business?? For the comfort!!! And my world should not revolve around selfish parents who think the world should accommodate them and their kids. Keep it in coach and campaign for your own space is what I say.

Who said anything about families living abroad and not be able to travel with kids??? Where did that come from?? But since you brought that up - years ago you had considerably less people travelling abroad to work and when those parents did travel - they took care of their kids KNOWING that it would disturb others and didn't have the mentality that the world belongs to their kids and we are just visiting it.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Obviously we do have noise-cancelling earphones, but only use them when our kids are quietly watching the tv or are sleeping.

Some kid-haters look for any excuse to blame the parents and pull rotten faces if the kids do anything besides sleep. I'm not saying there aren't some irresponsible parents out there, but I've flown a lot with kids and most parents I've seen, including my husband and I, are very conscientious about looking after our kids and minimizing the impact on other travellers.

Look at parents and you will see how hard they work to look after their kids, even when they are dead tired. If their child is being difficult, they are stressed, not enjoy it. Instead of shooting dirty looks at them, maybe you should have a bit of empathy.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

BB couldn't agree with you anymore even if I wanted to, two thumbs up woman !

And yes I rather agree that the kids should be stuffed away in the cargo bay. Win win situation for everyone.
desertdudeshj

I knew I guy like you, who went on to have two kids, and he's got a whole new perspective.... :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Yeah yeah been hearing this for bloody ages.:D
Wait till you have kids of your own blah blah !
desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:Obviously we do have noise-cancelling earphones, but only use them when our kids are quietly watching the tv or are sleeping.

Some kid-haters look for any excuse to blame the parents and pull rotten faces if the kids do anything besides sleep. I'm not saying there aren't some irresponsible parents out there, but I've flown a lot with kids and most parents I've seen, including my husband and I, are very conscientious about looking after our kids and minimizing the impact on other travellers.

Look at parents and you will see how hard they work to look after their kids, even when they are dead tired. If their child is being difficult, they are stressed, not enjoy it. Instead of shooting dirty looks at them, maybe you should have a bit of empathy.

Look at parents and you will see how hard they work to look after their kids..............is that ALL parents?? Then some parents need someone to look after them.

Kanelli, I have raised a child. People were always amazed at how well behaved my daughter was. I didn't travel with her but took her to many places. I'm proud of the standards my daughter holds, which were passed on to her by me - which took alot of work so don't think you can teach me something I haven't done myself.

I have a niece and nephew that know that I won't tolerate what their parents will - because their parents are irresponsible and let them run amuck. When they come to my home they know there are rules, and they also know that manners are on top of the list, whereas rules and manners are nonexistent in their home. Mr BB is like a drill sergeant with them. Funny thing, they love coming to visit us. :D Hopefully they will be better prepared when they enter society rather than be rude people who think they can do whatever they want.

Because people complain about badly behaved children and poor parenting doesn't mean that they are child haters. That's going to the extreme Kanelli.

Now I have to wonder why you would need something to filter out noise when your children are quite or sleeping??? I don't have children, so why should I invest in something that I would use a few times a year because parents can't parent and consider fellow passengers who, by the way, are paying the same price for a ticket as the parent.

You don't have a problem with the majority of people who don't want to sit near someone who drank too much, or snores, or stinks, or talks too much because it is annoying. Well, I've given you all the annoying reasons why people don't want to be around children when flying.

If you take into consideration the impact that your children have on fellow passengers when crying, behaving badly, disturbing other passengers, well good for you. But if you child is cranky or misbehaving or fussing and it goes on and on, do you think the passengers around you should suck it up??? Say: aw shucks, let me take the little monster off her hands for a while.

There are many, many people in the world who don't care for children. That doesn't make them bad people. Maybe they have seen too much from other children. It's no different than someone who comes from a family where divorce is high and they say I don't want to get married.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Problem solved !

desertdudeshj

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies in First Class Jun 30, 2011
It's fair enough, given the cost of First classw travel, that those who can afford it should be able to have their peace whilst travelling.

Maybe airlines should have 'family' sections, with all the necessary requirements for parents travelling with youngsters.

I agree that some supposed adults travelling are the worst people to be around - good gried the behaviour of some is appalling!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

benwj

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class Jul 01, 2011
BB, I've met so many parents like you, who think they've raised little angels but in reality the kids are showing many of the same behaviours as others. There is one lady at my condo who told me several times that her kids don't push or bite - meanwhile I've seen them do it countless times, including a nice bite to my son's shoulder. I don't get angry about it, kids are kids. She's still a good mom, but she does gloss over their undesirable behaviour and I don't know why she just can't be honest about it.

Small children tantrum. One can try to affect the onset and duration, but there is no such thing as raising small children with zero tantrums (unless the kids have been lobotomized?). Children tantrum for a reason, like being hungry, tired, needing to burn energy, wanting to exert some independence. Parents have to attend to their kids and try to head off these tantrums, but buses, trains and airplanes are very difficult because you can't let kids burn energy, they must eat according to other's schedules, they can't sleep well sitting in those seats etc. So some people can claim it all comes down to good parents vs bad parents and good children vs bad children, but that is simplistic and quite unfair.

And by the way, I've always helped people with kids on airplanes. I've held and played with babies and kids, watched them so a parent can go to the bathroom, and done toy exchanges so that each of our children has something new to entertain them for a while.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think kids have a place along with everyone else in society, and I think people should be understanding. There will always be a smaller number of parents and kids who are abusing public spaces and infringing on the rights of others, but it is the same for many adults, pet owners etc. That's just life.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

It's nice to see that you think you know me. :drunken: I'm not talking about the usual child behavior/interaction Kanelli. :roll: You know, the kind you and I and everyone else who was a baby/child went through. (Please don't tell me that your children are exempt!) I'm talking about the behavior that parents have control over. What I think and what I know are two different things. I know because I was a hands on parent who believed in the adage: children should be seen and not heard - when it is warranted. There is a time and a place for children.

I bet you are the kind of parent that when sitting down with a friend or having a chat on the phone constantly interrupts your conversation because your child is demanding your attention, which of course, you need to give. I have friends who do that and I tell them to call me when they have time to give me their full attention because I really don't want to have stop and go conversations and listening to mother cater to her little one at the other end of the line. What could be a 10 minute conversation turns into 30 minutes, 20 minutes of me being on "hold".

Yes we will have to agree to disagree. My outlook hasn't always been this way it only developed because there are way too many perfect parents who have perfect children. My contempt isn't towards the children it's towards the parents for being too lazy to parent and think that people like me are visitors to the world that their children own.

Thank you for all your enlightening information. Oh, where were you when I was a parent??? :lol: Congratulations on another area that you seem to think you are an expert and excel at perfection. It must be hard being you - being perfect at everything living in an imperfect world.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

You are a one mentally disturbed woman borabora
uaekid

uaekid wrote:You are a one mentally disturbed woman borabora

Kid, more than likely you are just a part time Dad and husband, and that's not to say that you divide your time equally. :lol: I'm sure you can't relate to any of this because you have hired help to take care of your children.

I could take your post as my cue to call you names Kid, but I won't. All I will say is that coming from you that means..........................absolutely nothing. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:

Kid, more than likely you are just a part time Dad and husband, and that's not to say that you divide your time equally. :lol: I'm sure you can't relate to any of this because you have hired help to take care of your children.

I could take your post as my cue to call you names Kid, but I won't. All I will say is that coming from you that means..........................absolutely nothing. :D

Well I'll have to join the party here to say I can't stand kids and I've had three. They should be put in a cupboard from birth and rolled out at 25 when they should be financially independant and know when to shut up.
Except of course for my beautiful Beth :D
I suppose that makes me mentally disturbed too. I blame it on being a mother. :drunken: Thank God for Chardonnay :drunken:
Bethsmum

I think you are both great parents.
Just don't tell me that you make separate meals for your kids like some parents do. I hate that. Its like "well wtf are you going to eat now that your kids are fed dhead?"
benwj

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies In First Class Jul 02, 2011
benwj wrote:I think you are both great parents.
Just don't tell me that you make separate meals for your kids like some parents do. I hate that. Its like "well wtf are you going to eat now that your kids are fed dhead?"

We all eat from the same table ben. We have breakfast at 8am and then leave for work/school. In the evening we sit down for tea (some call it supper, some call it dinner, but at Casa BM, it's tea) around 6.30pm. We all eat the same food. If Beth doesn't fancy it, I say, tough, the cafe closes at 7pm. I don't force her to eat, I reckon she must know if she's hungry or not. When I was a kid we weren't allowed to leave the table until we'd finished. I remember refusing to eat stuffed marrow once and being presented with it for breakfast the next day. I was told there were starving kids in the world and I should be greatful for stuffed marrow, In reality my mother was a rubbish cook. We had the same thing on each day of the week.

I don't allow mobile phones at the table, unless someone is texting me and then I make an exception.
Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:

who can actually relate to your nonsense bora ? you don't want kids to fly bcz they are not to your liking ? airplanes are a public transport , you do know public means everyone is entitled to use it .

just like this public forum, we cant help it your husband not giving you much attentions and its causing us your non stop insanity and being consistently an annoying talkative woman who can't differentiate between women gossip and real discussions .

now I won't be surprised if the next thing you'll suggest is that people should only be driving only color of your choice .. seriously , what are you suggesting here ? "parents with crying babies should not be allowed to fly or should parents puts their kids on mute ? I'll tell you what, why don't you make a daily radio announcement of your next public appearance so that the hall world will lock their kids in house for your majesty to feel conformable.

parents can't help it their kids are bored being restrained in one place doing nothing but setting, its not what they are used too in their daily routines .. unlike you , they are active and energetic. parents can't also help it their kids being sick or scared from the unusual surrounding .
uaekid

I cant believe but i agree with uaekid (on the kids on plane part and not the assumptions on BB's personal life)
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Malaysia Air Bans Babies in First Class Jul 02, 2011
Nice post Kid (can't believe I just said that :shock: ). But I think with regards to the FC situation, it's fair enough. Why don't airlines have family sections onboard? I don't think anyone would suggest that children can't or shouldn't fly, but why can't there be a designated area for them? Not sure why no one has ever thought about it to be honest.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat