So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!!

Topic locked
So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 03, 2010
...as it is the beginning of a new month and thought I forgot a deposit. Lo and behold, my personal loan is paid off! I just stopped keeping track ages ago and made sure the cash was there, but checked online tonight and there was a token withdrawal which I thought was a mistake. Nope, the last few AED left in the loan I took out 3 years ago to pay the rent and buy the Mrs. a little vroom-vroom! (remember those days?) First I sell the Prado, now this! Truly "found" money freeing up all those payments.

What a good feeling to have that extra cash now. Mrs. DD might get something extra shiny under the tree this year!

As a funny reflection, we have not lived in that Ranches Villa in almost 2 years, we sold the BMW 18 months ago, the Prado was sold about 4 months ago, we now live in a flat where all bills are included (lucky LL, as we never use AC and are still water and electricity misers). We both drive rental cars now and have no encumbrances. If I could have done it differently, man I would have!

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 03, 2010
Congratulations DD, there is nothing like that liberating feeling of being debt free.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 03, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:Congratulations DD, there is nothing like that liberating feeling of being debt free.

Thanks, BM, it is a good feeling.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 03, 2010
Sounds fantastic DD! It feels fabulous to be debt free!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 03, 2010
That truly is awesome, we ourself are looking to make our final payment this dec to be free after what can only be described as living by the skin of our teeth for the last two years and a lot of head ache and heart ache with the banks as the recession bit us hard in the behind !

And yes if we could do it differently ...sigh !

Anyways like you this Double D is also counting down the days he has left here, but unlike you its gonna take a wee bit longer than you to check out from Hotel Dubifornia.
* You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave....ironicaly how fitting for many.
desertdudeshj

Re: So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 04, 2010
DD, you should pop round to Dubai World offices and explain to them about how to pay off loans!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 04, 2010
They would just file a case instead ! DW can claim bankruptcy and restructure but the moment someone else does it. They bounce your check and send you to the slammer !
desertdudeshj

Re: So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 05, 2010
Congrats. Debt can kill your spirit and ambition - glad you saw it through.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 05, 2010
see they way i see it, if everybody just stops falling preying to the clever marketing tactics of various corps, you really can live without useless things, for example some people have a strange habit of changing their phones every month, or cars every few months , WHY ? its most probably just SHOW BUSINESS , even though they can't afford it. And if they can , they are just unnecessarily extravagant.

Another example world be for cars, An accord does the exact same thing as a gallardo, Going from point A to point B that is, But this undue obsession with the slippery idea of "prestige" is what makes many fall into debt
. And they realize it only when its too late
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 05, 2010
zubber wrote:see they way i see it, if everybody just stops falling preying to the clever marketing tactics of various corps, you really can live without useless things, for example some people have a strange habit of changing their phones every month, or cars every few months , WHY ? its most probably just SHOW BUSINESS , even though they can't afford it. And if they can , they are just unnecessarily extravagant.

Another example world be for cars, An accord does the exact same thing as a gallardo, Going from point A to point B that is, But this undue obsession with the slippery idea of "prestige" is what makes many fall into debt
. And they realize it only when its too late

We most definitely lived within our means. The choices of automobile were practical. I DID want a sports car, but that was just silly, the Prado was cheaper and more practical. The villa was not extravagant, it perfectly suited us.

We just chose to down size.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: So I just checked my bank balance!!!!!! Dec 06, 2010
Relax D-Dawg, that was just a general observation, wasn't commenting on what you did
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: So I Just Checked My Bank Balance!!!!!! Dec 06, 2010
Hmmm...Zubs, how come your always telling everyone to chill out or relax. Seem extremely non confrontaional ( some can even see this as wussy even ) Not that its a bad thing or anything 8)
desertdudeshj

true DesertMAN, for some reason everybody takes what i say to be directed at them, when as u can see unless I make an actual reference , the statement is general right ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Zubs, I know the people you are talking about. I just figured it was directed at me seeing as the comment was on a thread I started about my particular situation. I am also of the belief that if you can afford it, why not? You can't take it with you when you go!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:Zubs, I know the people you are talking about. I just figured it was directed at me seeing as the comment was on a thread I started about my particular situation. I am also of the belief that if you can afford it, why not? You can't take it with you when you go!

Yes very true, But the thing that I dislike is people buying stuff they dont really need, Like the IPAD say for example, or the latest mobile every month, also when people buy things just to show their SOCIAL STATUS and all that baloney, I keep telling my friends to stop this madness, but i guess no one really gives ear to good advise these days. See what im sayin :)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat