Arranged Marriages

Topic locked
Arranged Marriages Nov 07, 2010
I listened to a chat about arranged marriages on the radio at the weekend.

Are the men who support this cultural issue perverse?

It was OK for him to make his own choice of partner, but a real no goer for his sister. How hypocritical.

Opinions?

drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Arranged Marriages Nov 07, 2010
I believe the girl has a sort of a choice. She can accept or reject the suitor.

But I don't think she has the privilege of selecting whomever she wants!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Arranged Marriages Nov 07, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:I believe the girl has a sort of a choice. She can accept or reject the suitor.

Perhaps in theory, the social pressure however can be huge.

I am not against arranged marriages per se. IF done with the right reasons, parents can make better choices than young kids. An arranged marriage doesn't have to be a forced marriage. Forced is not okay.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Arranged Marriages Nov 08, 2010
If they were only "arranged" with strangers
46% of all Emirati marriages in Dubai are arranged bewtween relatives or first cousins.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Who would want to marry their cousin? Errr, that's wrong.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:Who would want to marry their cousin? Errr, that's wrong.

For the most prominent figures of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed, his son Sheikh Hamdan and his uncle Sheikh Saeed did.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

drewpeacock wrote:I listened to a chat about arranged marriages on the radio at the weekend.

It was OK for him to make his own choice of partner, but a real no goer for his sister. How hypocritical.

Opinions?

yeeeekkkk, If you call an arranged marriage perverse, how do you call an arranged marriage between cousins????? :oops: :oops: :oops:
man, how long before mods flush your thread.....
capsicum
BANNED

Er yeah you know the Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh are 3rd cousins?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:

Er yeah you know the Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh are 3rd cousins?!

The genetic degree of one person to his/her 1 st cousins is 12.5%, the genetic degree of a 3 rd cousins is 0.78%, as a comparison: with a brother or sister it is 50%
so 3rd cousins mariages are barely related and bear considerably less risk of genetic disorders than 1 st cousins.
The very high rate of genetic deseases in the UAE is no stranger to marriages between 1st cousins.
It is mathematical and inevitable and can only get worse, genetic deseases are caused by recessive genes, with parents that are 1st cousins, the genetic similarity is greater so the greater chances children have to get the bad genes.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:

I don't think there is a serious problem with marrying a distant cousin, but the awful practice of marrying a first cousin is, in fact, encouraged in the Gulf (I guess to keep it all in the family!!!)

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Uhm Beth why is wrong ?

Are you debating from a scientific point of view or a pure ethic one ?

L.
lucaUae
Dubai Forums Member

herve wrote: The genetic degree of one person to his/her 1 st cousins is 12.5%, the genetic degree of a 3 rd cousins is 0.78%, as a comparison: with a brother or sister it is 50%
so 3rd cousins mariages are barely related and bear considerably less risk of genetic disorders than 1 st cousins.
The very high rate of genetic deseases in the UAE is no stranger to marriages between 1st cousins.
It is mathematical and inevitable and can only get worse, genetic deseases are caused by recessive genes, with parents that are 1st cousins, the genetic similarity is greater so the greater chances children have to get the bad genes.

So the more they marry their cousins, the less they will understand the problem?
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:
drewpeacock wrote:I listened to a chat about arranged marriages on the radio at the weekend.

Opinions?

yeeeekkkk, If you call an arranged marriage perverse, how do you call an arranged marriage between cousins????? :oops: :oops: :oops:
man, how long before mods flush your thread.....

Try reading my post again........................................slowly!

-- Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 am --

capsicum wrote:
herve wrote: The genetic degree of one person to his/her 1 st cousins is 12.5%, the genetic degree of a 3 rd cousins is 0.78%, as a comparison: with a brother or sister it is 50%

So the more they marry their cousins, the less they will understand the problem?

Does this have any effect on the driving by any chance?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

lucaUae wrote:
Uhm Beth why is wrong ?

L.

Of course it's wrong - from a moral and scientific point of view! That's why there's so many screwed up children, because they all have genetic defects because their parents are too close in the gene pool.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Is this related (in addition to the driving)?

fight-club/genetic-diseases-among-emirati-the-rise-t40873.html
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

capsicum wrote:

LMAO!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mi further and murther wonted to pic for me but is say no.

Wart I say is eeni meeni mini moo. to them choises in life and not good for mi.

Also not helfy.
HughJarses
Dubai Forum Visitor

HughJarses wrote:Mi further and murther wonted to pic for me but is say no.

Wart I say is eeni meeni mini moo. to them choises in life and not good for mi.

Also not helfy.

Jeez, are you Irish???? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Wart that irissh?
HughJarses
Dubai Forum Visitor

Clearly not - lol

Sorry mate we're having a bit of trouble understanding you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I never knew one could have a writing lisp ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Arranged Marriages Nov 09, 2010
It's called Dislexia, no Dislexiya, no Dyslexiyya, no Disslexia, no Dislecsia, no Dyslexia, that's it, :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

lucaUae wrote:

Uhm Beth why is wrong ?

L.

She'd win on both counts. Reproducing with a 1st cousin causes genetic defects and perpetuates a weak genetic gene pool. Morally, it is bizarre to think of a cousin in a s.e.xual way. Growing up and seeing cousins at family gatherings makes them feel like a second set of siblings almost. Personally, I could never imagine marrying and having s.e.x with one of my 1st cousins. So many wrong things are done for the sake of money and power, and intermarrying 1st cousins throughout a family is such a thing. Sorry if that offends some people here. If you are happy with your custom, then fine.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:
lucaUae wrote:

Uhm Beth why is wrong ?

L.

She'd win on both counts. Reproducing with a 1st cousin causes genetic defects and perpetuates a weak genetic gene pool. Morally, it is bizarre to think of a cousin in a s.e.xual way. Growing up and seeing cousins at family gatherings makes them feel like a second set of siblings almost. Personally, I could never imagine marrying and having s.e.x with one of my 1st cousins. So many wrong things are done for the sake of money and power, and intermarrying 1st cousins throughout a family is such a thing. Sorry if that offends some people here. If you are happy with your custom, then fine.

K, There is nothing morally wrong marrying with ur first cousin. It s all the matter of different cultures in different societies. Even in Iran it is encouraged in the culture and religion to marry the first cousins, so the practice was, when kids are young the parents would choose their future partners. And for lots of the time this kids grow up together and they know they are getting married (nobody tells them directly, but they can hear it from relatives) and when you grow up in such situation, it doesn’t seem morally wrong at all. In th part of science I totally agree that this is not the best decision, besides they should get approval the couple too (there are few of people who don’t do that). Actually here I don’t see anymore of such kind of arranged marriages in big cities, but I m sure it is very common in smaller towns.

My point is please don’t judge our societies based on ur western values, there are lots of things about western societies which seem very immoral to us! There is nothing morally wrong with marrying a cousin.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I think the whole world agrees that marrying your immediate relatives is immoral, and thus it is prohibited in all cultures, religions and societies. Immediate relatives include brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, ..etc.

The question is: could a first cousin be considered an immediate relative?? If nieces and nephews are considered immediate relatives, I don’t see why first cousins would not fall in the same category!!!

Hey, welcome back, Mel. We missed you, dearl!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Marry sisters OK?
HughJarses
Dubai Forum Visitor

So Melika,

So when there is a 1st cousin shortage on the market, the man can move onto the sister in an emergency?

Almost same thing.

Look out mum when no sisters available.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Sorry Mel, but to most people marrying a cousin is just wrong. It's close family.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Marrying a cousin is eeky to me, i seriously doubt though whether that applies to the majority of the world population. Might very well be that the majority in the world is in favor of cousin marriages.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

It is only some States in the US and China that have prohibited the marriage of 1st Cousins, other American States will allow 1st Cousin marriages providing they are incapable of bearing children. 1st Cousin marriages were commonplace throughout the world until scientists discovered the elevated risks of Recessive Degenerative Disorder through Cousin Marriages.

“British Pakistanis are 13 times more likely to have children with genetic disorders than the general population - they account for just over 3% of all births but have just under a third of all British children with such illnesses.

Indeed, Birmingham Primary Care Trust estimates that one in ten of all children born to first cousins in the city either dies in infancy or goes on to develop serious disability as a result of a Recessive Genetic Disorder. “

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/n ... 442010.stm

Charles Darwin himself, the originator of the concept of natural selection and Author of ‘The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection’ married his 1st Cousin Emma Wedgwood!

The practice of inter family marriages, has also now developed a trend of clusters of specific Recessive Degenerative Disorders and a typical example of this is the Thalassemia problem here in the UAE, Thalassemia are inherited disorders of haemoglobin synthesis. Their clinical severity varies widely, ranging from asymptomatic forms to severe or even fatal entities and is the primary reason for the mandatory blood tests all UAE nationals have to undergo before a marriage license can be issued.

http://www.thalassemia-dubai.com/en/home.aspx
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat