Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned

Topic locked
Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 17, 2010
http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... itle=Delay in Ikea punch-up case

Two men accused of breaking the jaw of a heavily pregnant woman and attacking her husband after a row in furniture store Ikea have appeared in court.

The oldest defendant, a 52-year-old Emirati, denies punching the Canadian woman with such force that her jaw was fractured during a bust-up over seating in the food court at the store in Dubai’s Festival City last June.

He told the court the 33-year-old victim, who was seven months pregnant at the time, fell over.

The second defendant, a 43-year-old Emirati, arrived 30 minutes late for the hearing because he was “trying to find a parking space” and smirked throughout the proceedings.

He admits punching the woman’s 37-year-old husband but claims he was provoked.

A third defendant, also charged with assault, failed to appear before the judge for a second time.

His lawyer said he had been given permission to take his passport from police and was working abroad.

The woman told 7DAYS: “My heart was pounding just seeing them again. So many times we’ve been asked whether we want to dismiss this case but there is no way that’s going to happen. We will keep coming to court make sure this goes all the way.”

The couple claim they were eating lunch at 12-seater table in the Festival City store when a trio of men in local dress told them to move because they wanted their seats.

When the pair refused, they say the husband was beaten unconscious and the wife punched to the ground twice when she tried to intervene.

One of the men was about to crush the husband’s head with a large wooden chair from the restaurant when a Syrian and Australian diner came to the couple’s rescue.

The prosecution has written statements from six witnesses.

There was CCTV in the store but yesterday the judge refused to request a copy of it.

When 7DAYS asked the defendants to comment, the 52-year-old said: “Why would I want to talk to you?”

The case has been adjourned until next month.

So there's CCTV evidence and the judge doesn't request a copy?

Defendant number two thinks it's OK to smirk through the proceedings?

And defendent Number three has got his passport back from the Police and is working abroad, and doesn't come back for the case in court?

Can't say it looks like justice is going to be done in this case, but fair play to the victims who are planning to take it all the way. Let's see what happens next month...

BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned Oct 17, 2010
Hopefully this time justice will be served, no matter how slim the chances are.

And boy this topic bring up bad memories !

fight-club/what-waste-flesh-t42974.html
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 17, 2010
I cannot believe the attitudes of these people - seriously it's appalling. I really hope that in someway justice is served and they get brought down a peg or 10.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

BlueOrb wrote:
One of the men was about to crush the husband’s head with a large wooden chair from the restaurant when a Syrian and Australian diner came to the couple’s rescue.

i think the Syrian and Australian diners should be punished for interfering and physically restraining the man.

How dare they !!
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

The way this is going, i wouldn't be surprised if they (the Syrian and Australian), end up being charged with assault. You can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't get their passport back to go and work abroad......

-- Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:53 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:And boy this topic bring up bad memories !

fight-club/what-waste-flesh-t42974.html

Unfortunately, i have no idea what you mean - i'm a while off being able to join you all in the place where everything interesting ends up, as soon as someone swears.

I should post more, then i'd be able to swear and fight too, i suppose....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic wrote:I cannot believe the attitudes of these people - seriously it's appalling. I really hope that in someway justice is served and they get brought down a peg or 10.

The attitide of the dodgy judge refusing to view the CCTV is very interesting.
A dodgy AND non-godfearing judge would view the footage anyway and still find the defendents not guilty... but this guy has it all worked out.
He (and everyone else) knows that the footage is discriminating evidence.
He knows that if he views this evidence, he will have to lie, and find the men not-guilty. But this would doom him to hell.
So what is his solution?
If he hasn't seen the footage he cannot be 100% sure that they are guilty, and can instead find them not-guilty based on lack of evidence.
He can maintain his sin free record... and his ticket to heaven.
Little does he know that he is going to hell anyway.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I cannot believe the attitudes of these people - seriously it's appalling. I really hope that in someway justice is served and they get brought down a peg or 10.

A dodgy AND non-godfearing judge would view the footage anyway and still find the defendents not guilty... but this guy has it all worked out.
He knows that if he views this evidence, he will have to lie, and find the men not-guilty. But this would doom him to hell.
So what is his solution?
If he hasn't seen the footage he cannot be 100% sure that they are guilty, and can instead find them not-guilty based on lack of evidence.

Oh, he will look at the CCTV tape. After it's been edited proving everyone else was guilty of assaulting the locals. :lol: I can only wonder how they are going to edit the woman getting punched in the face. Can they edit it to show she punched herself in the face or her husband doing it?? Can't wait.

Clearly the smugness of these locals means that have some serious wasta in their back pocket.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
benwj wrote:

So what is his solution?

Oh, he will look at the CCTV tape. After it's been edited proving everyone else was guilty of assaulting the locals. :lol: I can only wonder how they are going to edit the woman getting punched in the face. Can they edit it to show she punched herself in the face or her husband doing it?? Can't wait.

Clearly the smugness of these locals means that have some serious wasta in their back pocket.

They are going to be found not guilty and nothing will be achieved.

If I were the husband, I'd be making it well know to the media that I wish challenge this guy (they can then print his real name), hell all three of them if they like, to a white collar fight night with all proceeds going to charity and show them for the cowards that they are.
That would be enough justice for me.
And on the miracle chance that they accept the offer, he gets to return the favour.
I am of course assuming that he is as angry as I am about them hitting a woman/his wife.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sure, live in Dubai, go to the media and name and shame. How long do you think it will take before reading about him facing (trumpted up) charges?? No long I'm sure.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 18, 2010
If they could get their hands on the CCTV footage, I am sure a YouTube posting would make the judge react. Like he did with the locals driving on 2 wheels on SZR.

He will accuse the Canadian of assaulting the local's fist with his face and fine him 1000Dhs and impound his IKEA trolley...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

But can the prosecution not have the cctv footage admitted as evidence?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned Oct 18, 2010
I think they should prosecute the unborn baby as it obviously had a lot to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Chocoholic wrote:But can the prosecution not have the cctv footage admitted as evidence?

You kiddin, the judge is his cousin.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 21, 2010
it seems that Beth's mum have been encouraging the Locals to commit such offense more and more.As apparent from her own story where she says "SHE LIKES IT". I am extremely annoyed and disgusted while reading this, :x

http://www.jbrcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7257&p=31728&hilit=local+friend&sid=4057353b99c51f9e9e946b68648e8c7c#p31728

Re: Happy Days

Postby bethany's mum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 pm
Sal the Emiratis are very arrogant and that will never change. I have said all along that their attitude is that this is their country and you can go whistle dixie if you don't like it. To be honest I don't blame them. I quite like this attitude in their own country. They aren't bothered about businesses leaving or people selling and leaving as they honestly believe there will always be someone/something to take it's place. Whether they are right only time will tell. I really don't think I have ever met any other people quite like them for self belief. I met my local friend in Starbucks one morning, when I got there he was telling someone to move as he wanted to sit there, they moved and we got the best seats. I like it.

Ghalib
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned Oct 21, 2010
And then they cry and call themselves heroes when they get shot at or killed while trying to invade someone else's country. Oh the irony.
desertdudeshj

Re: Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned Oct 21, 2010
WOW. Seems like everyone is going through BM's dirty laundry and hanging it out for all to see. :lol:

Having read that thread Gahlib posted, I must say: There is nothing attractive about an individual who shows total arrogance. To me, arrogance is a coverup for felling inferior and/or lacking in other important areas.

I gather BM gets a certain feeling of superiority by the arrogance of her "local friend" and benefitting from it - best seats in the house? I'm sure the food is the same at any table one would sit at. I would advise her "local friend" to refrain from being arrogant until after he had his dinner; staff have a way of adding a "little extra" at not cost.

Having read BM's comments on her and her "local friend", there is clearly an infatuation on both sides. The "friendship" seems to serve a purpose for both of them. But when he gets tired of BM rejecting his offer of marriage and dumps her, I don't think BM is going to feel too bad. After all, not many women would stand for being number 2.

It seems that arrogant people want what they want or what they can't have, and when he gets tired of not getting what he wants, eventually he will move on. Right now he enjoys the challenge, but marriage would put an end to it - he would see to that!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 23, 2010
Oh dear, what a sad episode. Hanging onto someone else's coat tails hey? Hmmm that won't last long.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned Oct 23, 2010
Ghalib wrote:it seems that Beth's mum have been encouraging the Locals to commit such offense more and more.As apparent from her own story where she says "SHE LIKES IT". I am extremely annoyed and disgusted while reading this, :x

http://www.jbrcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7257&p=31728&hilit=local+friend&sid=4057353b99c51f9e9e946b68648e8c7c#p31728

Sal the Emiratis are very arrogant and that will never change. I have said all along that their attitude is that this is their country and you can go whistle dixie if you don't like it. To be honest I don't blame them. I quite like this attitude in their own country. They aren't bothered about businesses leaving or people selling and leaving as they honestly believe there will always be someone/something to take it's place. Whether they are right only time will tell. I really don't think I have ever met any other people quite like them for self belief. I met my local friend in Starbucks one morning, when I got there he was telling someone to move as he wanted to sit there, they moved and we got the best seats. I like it.

Well at least I m not surprised!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned May 18, 2011
Reading through the thread and the links, it is not something new...
The locals of these oil rich countries live in a completely different world.
It is their tribal culture which makes them NOT to welcome outsiders and that
they are superiors to all others who have come to server in their countries.

I am sure there are good people among them but the ratio is far less.
It comes down to the concept of master and slave in the end.
The practice was there in the west with white man
and black man and is still there to certain extent.

In the end, law of the jungle remains true all of the time and we all witness it
every day in our life (am sure you all know the depth of what I wanted to say).

Cheers
FusionO
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Ghalib wrote:it seems that Beth's mum have been encouraging the Locals to commit such offense more and more.As apparent from her own story where she says "SHE LIKES IT". I am extremely annoyed and disgusted while reading this, :x

Now there was me minding my own business and up pops someone who has searched JBR community to find a post from 2008! Wow I'm impressed! LOL I really didn't think I was that important :shock:

@Ghalib, would you like BM's autograph? I won't offer a signed picture as I have a nasty feeling you spend a lot of time alone, of an evening.

Yes, I have to admit it, if I thought i could get away with going into Starbucks in my home town and saying 'hey you sod off, I want to sit there' to some peasant I would. Simple thing is, I can't so I don't.
Everyone knows the Emiratis are arrogant. I don't know why you are all pretending to be outraged by it.
The place is what it is and if you all don't like it well why don't you all just pack up and go right on home? It's their country and I don't care a bit that I'm classed as an incomer. I think some of you should take a reality check. You are visitors in someone else's country.

desertdudeshj wrote:And then they cry and call themselves heroes when they get shot at or killed while trying to invade someone else's country. Oh the irony.

Now munchkin! I'm not really sure what you mean by that? You see I don't think you've read my famous post! It wasn't me that went into Starbucks and told someone to shift. I wouldn't dream of it. It was my Mr Emirati. It's his country and he does what he likes in it. The fact that someone shifted wasn't up to me, I just turned up after the fact. We got the best seats in the window. I liked that, it was better than having to go upstairs :D

Bora Bora wrote:WOW. Seems like everyone is going through BM's dirty laundry and hanging it out for all to see. :lol:

Having read that thread Gahlib posted, I must say: There is nothing attractive about an individual who shows total arrogance. To me, arrogance is a coverup for felling inferior and/or lacking in other important areas.

I gather BM gets a certain feeling of superiority by the arrogance of her "local friend" and benefitting from it - best seats in the house? I'm sure the food is the same at any table one would sit at. I would advise her "local friend" to refrain from being arrogant until after he had his dinner; staff have a way of adding a "little extra" at not cost.

Having read BM's comments on her and her "local friend", there is clearly an infatuation on both sides. The "friendship" seems to serve a purpose for both of them. But when he gets tired of BM rejecting his offer of marriage and dumps her, I don't think BM is going to feel too bad. After all, not many women would stand for being number 2.

It seems that arrogant people want what they want or what they can't have, and when he gets tired of not getting what he wants, eventually he will move on. Right now he enjoys the challenge, but marriage would put an end to it - he would see to that!!!

Yes Bora, someone has been stalking BM again! Funnily enough I had an email the other day from an old friend who still visits JBRcommunity regularly saying someone had mentioned my twice that day and I haven't been there for months. Aparantly I'm still being accused of working for Dubai properties as I used to speak up for JBR regularly. What it is to be famous eh?

Now Bora, back to your post. I have to admit I like the feeling of entering a restaurant and getting the best seats available because of Mr Emirati. One thing I must correct you on though! He is never rude to the staff, well not to their faces. He is actually very charming. You would like him, I know. He always wows any of my friends that I've introduced to him in the past. He doesn't like blacks, which always makes me laugh, as he isn't exactly white, himself.

We tend to do to the Royal Mirage where he gets on very well with an Egyptian man who works there. He knows him from the mosque in Jumeirah, I believe. Mr Emirati is a very big tipper and the hotel staff always make a big big fuss of him.

As for marriage proposals Bora, well we seem to have come to an understanding now, he doesn't ask and I don't refuse. It works for us :lol: :lol:

Now back to the OP! Well I'm pleased you lot aren't the Jury!
There's nothing like being tried and convicted by DF!

Me? I couldn't really comment as I wasn't in Ikea and I haven't seen the CCTV.
Bethsmum

Re: Ikea Assault Case In Court - Adjourned May 18, 2011
@Fusion0: Please don't drag up old posts. Prior to your post, the last post on this thread was from October!!!! You missed your chance to join in. :lol: :lol: As of today, we are all one big happy family. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well surprise surprise - nobody gets to see the CCTV footage, I was looking at Lee Browns site the other day and noticed a post from his family that says that the coroner here has also requested the CCTV footage from the Burj, but guess what they're not sending it because it's too grainy. It really is a joke. I guess CCTV footage is only allowed if it exonerates an Emirati, otherwise you can go whistle. I do hope that these people take it all the way, but I think they will get nothing more than lip service, there only bet is to garner as much media attention as possible, but the Emirati's have that locked down too. There are no reporters there willing to do there job and report on these injustices, because if they do they lose their liberty and are harassed. I don't think these people will ever learn. But hopefully they will keep on and on until finally enough people are treated like utter dirt until word of mouth does it job and nobody will set foot in Dubai because everybody will know someone with a story to tell. From what I can gather by reading the papers here they are already well on their way.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Bora Bora wrote:@Fusion0: Please don't drag up old posts. Prior to your post, the last post on this thread was from October!!!! You missed your chance to join in. :lol: :lol: As of today, we are all one big happy family. :)

I am sorry if I caused any inconvenient, as I joined the forum yesterday...
FusionO
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Bora Bora wrote:@Fusion0: Please don't drag up old posts. Prior to your post, the last post on this thread was from October!!!! You missed your chance to join in. :lol: :lol: As of today, we are all one big happy family. :)

Ooops! I didn't notice the dates on the posts. There was me getting all excited, thinking I was still being stalked. :cry: I thought my munchkin had some competition there for a minute.

I must have missed it the first time round, it's not like me to keep my mouth shut :D
Bethsmum

FusionO wrote:

I am sorry if I caused any inconvenient, as I joined the forum yesterday...

No inconvenience Fusion, just mind the dates of posts. The thread you pulled up was not one of DFs finest moments. Or was it?? :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

patience wrote:Well surprise surprise - nobody gets to see the CCTV footage,.

Read in another forum a case where a kid is beaten up by 7 other kids and 1 adult in MOE Foodcourt, for having the audacity to ask the latter to be quiet during a cinema screening

Surprise surprise , MOE claimed they dont have cameras in the food court area !

But where does it stop, if 2 people are killed in a mall, will they still not show CCTV footage?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:

Read in another forum a case where a kid is beaten up by 7 other kids and 1 adult in MOE Foodcourt, for having the audacity to ask the latter to be quiet during a cinema screening

But where does it stop, if 2 people are killed in a mall, will they still not show CCTV footage?

Do you know they definately do have CCTV in the foodcourt area? I know that we have CCTV cameras in the UK where they are there as a deterent and are not in operation.
Bethsmum

BlackburnRovers wrote:

Only if it is an Israeli commando killing a palestinian terrorist, or a british flipping the finger. If it is a emirati committing a crime, the CCTV goes blind.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Unless you are called Issa.

But then you are on mind altering drugs prescribed by a foreign doctor and don't know what you are doing when you shove a cattle prod up someones derriere on camera!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Ikea Assault Case in Court - Adjourned May 19, 2011
Double standards at their finest as always.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat