Airline Etiquette

Topic locked
Airline etiquette May 22, 2010
Recenty encoutered an etiquette rule on the airplane that I was not aware of.

The flight already started with kind of a shocker when the pilot announced:

`good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, My name is Osama and I will be flying this plane today. I hope you enjoy it´. I know, Osama is a normal name, but still...he got my full attention.

Anyways, a guy sat next me. Afterwards it appeared he is Israeli. Apparently they still get into the UAE :shock: .
You know, when you sit economy (everybody has to take a step back because of the crisis, right? :( ), a lot of times silent, non-contact negotiations are taking place about the arm rests. After a few minutes usually, a compromise is settled without any exchange of words.
When I put my arm on the left arm rest, this guy all of a sudden started complaining and got very angy, because he claimed that when somebody is sitting, the right arm rest is for that person. I thought, man them Israeli's and their territorial issues...

Any more stange airline etiquette?

The use of the toilets should get more attention I believe. Like, donot stay on them more than 15 minutes. Seriously, who needs 15 min. in there? You can even join the ten miles high club within 15 minutes. Anyways, I think that is a lost cause, as it seems quite some passengers encounter a toilet for the first time when they fly...and have no clue.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airline Etiquette May 22, 2010
Israelis don't get into the UAE. It's a transit stop. They don't get to leave the airport.

A couple of years when returnign from the States to Dubai there were two Hasidic Jews on the plane. Curly cues, yamulka and the "big hat". One of them keep eyeballing people as if waiting and wanting someone to say something.

That rule of etiquette is not fair because the person near the window gets two armrests!!!!

I never, ever sit where I have a person to the left and right of me. Generally it's an aisle seat. I don't fuss about the armrest because the fact is - I don't want the person sitting near me touching me!!! I think they do that "touchy" thing to see if the person will give up the armrest. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:That rule of etiquette is not fair because the person near the window gets two armrests!!!!

Guess where he sat? :evil:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:That rule of etiquette is not fair because the person near the window gets two armrests!!!!

Guess where he sat? :evil:

On his behind?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Airline etiquette May 23, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:Any more stange airline etiquette?

this is what irritates me the most, not in any particular order
1. when some people use the toilet and step out, you think that they have taken a bath
2. the moment the plan touches the runway, some of them jump to take out their baggage from the hatracks
3. not necessarily irritating but bit strange-- many start clapping as soon as the plance lands on the runway!!
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Airline Etiquette May 23, 2010
Kids - they should be sedated.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Kids - they should be sedated.

Not kids, it's adults clapping, first time I heard that was on a flight from Miami to Aruba it was like some sort of end of performance applause and it was all adults.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I wasn't referring to the clapping - I was referring to airline etiquette - kids should be sedated!!! :lol:

The clapping is just a way of saying: thank you for getting us "here" safely. Good job.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Airline etiquette May 23, 2010
xdude wrote:2. the moment the plan touches the runway, some of them jump to take out their baggage from the hatracks

I am with you. How bizar is that!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I think they should be checked into cargo. Same at resturants and movie theaters. Also the dumb south indian kid across the door whose mum thinks the hall way is a playground for that turd !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Airline Etiquette May 24, 2010

usually the kids start crying while landing..its mainly 'coz the increase in pressure they do feel on their eardrums.. adults know how to deal with it..but kids don't..
so i'd pardon them for tht

-- Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm --

was flying last week on a 8hr + flight on EK..
the person behind me did not understand the meaning of a "touch screen" video display n the fact tht the touch on the screen can be gentle..
so had to endure 4 hrs of poking from behind...
the remaining 4 hrs, i spent at the back of the plane..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

xdude wrote:

usually the kids start crying while landing..its mainly 'coz the increase in pressure they do feel on their eardrums.. adults know how to deal with it..but kids don't..

the person behind me did not understand the meaning of a "touch screen" video display n the fact tht the touch on the screen can be gentle..

I get the pressure with kids, or more like the babies, so that doesn't bother me. It's the freaking kids that run up and down the aisles bouncing off the chairs, wrestling in the aisle, pulling on the seat in front of them (which I am sitting in), kicking the seats in front of them, blah blah blah. Parents don't think they have to watch their kids because - hey, where are they going on a plane??? So parents curl up, sleep through the flight while the wild ones run wild. Those are the ones that should be sedated. I'm always sedated when I'm travelling for long trips. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
xdude wrote:

I get the pressure with kids, or more like the babies, so that doesn't bother me. It's the freaking kids that run up and down the aisles bouncing off the chairs, wrestling in the aisle, pulling on the seat in front of them (which I am sitting in), kicking the seats in front of them, blah blah blah. Parents don't think they have to watch their kids because - hey, where are they going on a plane??? So parents curl up, sleep through the flight while the wild ones run wild. Those are the ones that should be sedated. I'm always sedated when I'm travelling for long trips. :lol: :lol:

I once sat next to a lady with a restless 2 or a 3-yr old boy. She saw me looking around to see if I could move away from them. She looked at me, smiled and told me not to fret! She said, “I plan to sedate him after take off.” Lone and behold, as soon as we take off, she pulls out an Actifed bottle and feeds the kid a cap’s full.

I never heard from that kid until we were about to land!!! :)

I also didn’t forget to sedate myself with a nice bubbly medicine!! :)

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Airline etiquette May 24, 2010
Sometimes the urge to clap is purely relief that captain crash Bandicoot and the cunning stunt pilot sitting next to him have managed to get the plane back on the ground without rattling anyone's fillings, compressing their spines, or dislodging the toilet unit when they throw the Airbus at the runway...

Unlike Air Yemenia!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

i just pop 20mg of tazamepam no one bothers me :D

also can i suggest Business Class to those who currently travel in Cattle Class - its sooooo much more relaxing and one doesn't get the rif raff in Business like one does in Cattle :mrgreen:
arniegang

Re: Airline Etiquette May 25, 2010
arniegang wrote:i just pop 20mg of tazamepam no one bothers me :D

also can i suggest Business Class to those who currently travel in Cattle Class - its sooooo much more relaxing and one doesn't get the rif raff in Business like one does in Cattle :mrgreen:

Sounds awfully snobbish old boy
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Airline Etiquette May 25, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:
I also didn’t forget to sedate myself with a nice bubbly medicine!! :)

lol..i liked tht..next time i will try sedating myself.

-- Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm --

sage & onion wrote:
arniegang wrote:i just pop 20mg of tazamepam no one bothers me :D

Sounds awfully snobbish old boy

why do you need 20mg of tazamepam in biz class! :o
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Airline etiquette May 25, 2010
hes a crack fiend ! :D
desertdudeshj

Re: Airline etiquette May 26, 2010
As long as the pilot doesn't join in with the drug taking!

As for flying Bees Nees class...I suppose they put all the victims nearer the front as I have yet to see a plane reverse into a mountain...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat