Airline Prices

Topic locked
Airline prices Jul 12, 2011
Seriously, what's up with airline pricing at the moment?! Everything flying from the UAE to Oz, you practically need to take out a loan to pay for the ticket.

I thought prices were coming down. Is there any particular reason they're so expensive and during off-peak periods as well.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Airline Prices Jul 12, 2011
I would guess airlines are trying to earn more on that route by banking on the stronger Aussie $.

If they correlate the prices to AUS$, people paying in that currency will not feel the difference of a 30% increase if the AUS$ increased by roughly 30%
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Airline prices Jul 12, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:Seriously, what's up with airline pricing at the moment?! Everything flying from the UAE to Oz, you practically need to take out a loan to pay for the ticket.

I thought prices were coming down. Is there any particular reason they're so expensive and during off-peak periods as well.

I thought you got free airline travel?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Seriously, what's up with airline pricing at the moment?! Everything flying from the UAE to Oz, you practically need to take out a loan to pay for the ticket.

I thought you got free airline travel?

er staff rules change all the time. You can't use staff tickets on sellout routes, or peak periods. I don't know yet if I can use my staff ticket when I want to fly as it's a bit early, but as of this time there are no staff seats being released. Plus it's always a risk as they're not normally firm, so the chances of being bumped off are high. I'd rather pay and have a confirmed seat.

-- Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:59 am --

BlackburnRovers wrote:I would guess airlines are trying to earn more on that route by banking on the stronger Aussie $.

If they correlate the prices to AUS$, people paying in that currency will not feel the difference of a 30% increase if the AUS$ increased by roughly 30%

You're probably right on that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The price of oil Chocs.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:er staff rules change all the time. You can't use staff tickets on sellout routes, or peak periods. I don't know yet if I can use my staff ticket when I want to fly as it's a bit early, but as of this time there are no staff seats being released. Plus it's always a risk as they're not normally firm, so the chances of being bumped off are high. I'd rather pay and have a confirmed seat.

So you don't get free airline travel then?

-- Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 pm --

Actually I'm pleasantly surprised about the price I have just paid for my tickets to Dubai, just £340 each. I paid £600 at Easter with BA. I've just booked with AF.
My BA friend says BA is so expensive because of airport taxes out of Heathrow.
Bethsmum

That's why it is best to have one's own planes :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:er staff rules change all the time. You can't use staff tickets on sellout routes, or peak periods. I don't know yet if I can use my staff ticket when I want to fly as it's a bit early, but as of this time there are no staff seats being released. Plus it's always a risk as they're not normally firm, so the chances of being bumped off are high. I'd rather pay and have a confirmed seat.

So you don't get free airline travel then?

-- Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 pm --

Actually I'm pleasantly surprised about the price I have just paid for my tickets to Dubai, just £340 each. I paid £600 at Easter with BA. I've just booked with AF.
My BA friend says BA is so expensive because of airport taxes out of Heathrow.

Yes, I do BUT you have to pick your flight dates and times carefully. It just so happens that the last couple of times I've flown I've not been able to use the staff travel. That's how staff travel works, you can only use them if it's convenient for the airline. Why are they going to let staff go free or at a greatly reduced rate, when they can have full fair paying passengers.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Ambassador wrote:That's why it is best to have one's own planes :P

Planes, as in plural, Ambassador?
Bethsmum

I'm loyal to Emirates, I enjoy the benefits of my Skywards membership :mrgreen:

Next two months I'm going to the following ..
Thaniland (4 days), Makka (2 ays), Turkey/Greece (3 days), and Singapore (4 days).

All on Emirates, with good reasonable prices, and utilizing my skywards as well.

What I don't understand is the high ticket prices to Japan, it ranges between 6300 - 7200 on SAVER.
The price increases if you book on flex.
symmetric
BANNED

I'd love to use my Skywards miles, just don't quite have enough. Funnily enough I was looking originally at doing a multi-sector trip DXB-Brisbane, Brisbane-Singapore, Bangkok-DXB - which was actually cheaper than just to Brisbane and back - go figure!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Thanks for the tip Chocs :D
symmetric
BANNED

Having just gone BNE-DXB, I paid AED 9000. The same ticket going DXB-BNE was AED 7000. I am now looking at my next trip, looking at about AED 8000. Royal Brunei is still booking at about AED 5500, but they stop flying to BNE Oct. 26.

I think EK is cashing in on their loyalty and service with the prices. From DXB, you can fly almost anywhere on EK at a reasonable price, except Australia. That being said, my return flight to BNE was sold out and waitlisted in all classes. There was not a spare seat on the plane!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

That's the problem isn't it, they're charging the prices because people are willing to pay it so they do.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat