Review - The Chronicles Of Narnia - 2005

Topic locked
Review - The Chronicles of Narnia - 2005 Feb 05, 2006
A Let Down!

I had my expectations high when I went to watch Narnia as I am a big fan of the Lord of the Rings and I enjoyed Harry Potter too equally. But Narnia was a total let down. Maybe it was my expectations, but I believe I wouldn't like it otherwise too.

The movie fails to keep the audience glued to their seats as the pace gets very slow in between. There are a lot of flaws in the direction and the dialogues are also sub-standard most of the time. But the directors have done an excellent job with the special effects and character make-up. The background score is excellent too, but played at the wrong time/scenes. A little more of editing would have probably helped the movie better.

Overall the movie would be probably enjoyed by children, but it fails to impress the adult audience unlike the Harry Potter series which is a children's movie but also equally enjoyed by all class of movie-goers. Therfore i would give it a rating of 3/10.

check out http://imdb.com/title/tt0363771/usercomments-1077 for further details..!!

lordshaneez
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 18, 2006
I have to totally disagree with everything you've said!

I finally got to see the movie with some friends, we were looking forward to it as the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was required reading when we were at school and it was always a favourite book which fired the imagination.

The movie brought to life the images I'd always had in my head when reading the CS Lewis classic and I loved every second of it.

The little girl who plays Lucy, is an exceptional talent at such a young age.

The CGI of the animals was amazing, very hard to tell what was real and what wasn't.

You have to read the book first before seeing the movie.

My only gripe is that Tilda Swinton who plays the White Witch, wasn't quite frosty or nasty enough, in the book, she's a mega princess and a very frightening character.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chornicles of Narnia.... Feb 18, 2006
Hey,
Well, I have actually read the book. The book is amazing no doubt. But I do feel that the movie somehow fails to impress. I do agree that the CGI was great, and so was the acting of Georgie Henley as Lucy Pevensie. But good CGI does not mean direction. A book/story being good does not automatically create a good movie. For a movie to work , and recapture the essence of the book, it needs to have the combinations of good Direction, Acting, Editing, and above all Story-Telling. The direction was weak in this movie. For even the first scene where Lucy Pevensie enters Narnia, although her expression was actually REAL, the scene looked very artificial. And as for the story-telling, it felt very amateur, coz the movie just dragged around in between failing to keep the mystery and excitement up, while the books keeps you high on your imaginations all the time.

But then, all said and done, I do appreciate you response, as any response means you are a dedicated cinema lover!!

Anyways... comments are welcome :)
lordshaneez
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 19, 2006
Dedicated cinema going? Mate I'm a movie freak, it was what I studied at university!

There were a few moments in the movie where it had obviously been chopped by the censors here for whatever reason, and they're always crap at doing it, they just cut out the bit they don't want then slap it together without any thought, that I did notice.

With regard to your comment about music - again a big thing I studied and am well into - the sign of a good soundtrack or musical score is if you don't actually notice it. For me it was fine.

Of course everyone will always have a different opinion about a movie, it's down to personal preference.

The actors were possibly a little reserved, but I think they all did pretty well, and nice to see a British cast, so sick of the Yank gun ho movies they get totally boring.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 19, 2006
Hey,
Yes I do agree, bout one fact...did enjoy British actors. In fact..I like British movies better. Haven't seen much though, If you do know or come across any good ones...please lemme know!...

So you've studied cinema? Thats absolutely great! Ive always wanted to....never get to..hopefully trying to....

anyways....keep watching good cinema!!
lordshaneez
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 22, 2006
in my opinion rest were crap acting except for the little girl. Others werent a match and could be replaced by a newbie. Story was average.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 25, 2006
even thought of narnia is a boring film so i made my wife dissapointed on viewing it so instead i have to roll on some movies like SAW II but as a weekend comes and never thought that narnia is like Harry Potter that comes in a book, then i rush it out to view my copy and amazed how the story goes that way very impressive....it is like im in a wonderland and have a goodnight sleep with a smile....
esthers
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk