Time Conventions Paradox

Topic locked
Oct 16, 2009
07:25hrs, the sun is shining and breakfast is on the table :-)

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 16, 2009
Bonk,

EUREKA !!

Ha ! Ha ! Ha Ha !! What a COP-OUT!! You have admitted you are COMPLETELY WRONG on the calendar......so you now try to distract by focusing on my grammar and rubbishing me in a way that has nothing to do with the MAIN argument !! It won't work ! That's just the sort of tactic used by politicians . I used capitals to drive the TRUTH into your head . So now you focus on my capitals to distract from the TRUTH!! Pathetic !!

You have said a decade ENDS , 1979, 1989 etc . No it does NOT ! A decade means TEN YEARS .
"the 60s "; " The 70's " ; "the 80's " are not SCIENTIFIC . They are Press invention , in that the Press .........peopled by Arts graduates , or Arts orientated people rather than scientists ,... always like to pigeon-hole the "Sixties " , the "Seventies " etc and differentiate between them , when, in truth , the goings-on of 1968 ,say, were much closer to those of 1971 than to those of 1962...........but that does not suit the waffling Press , because they like to refer to the Sixties as one ENTITY....one lifestyle....... .Then " the Seventies" as another and the Eighties as another, as if when 1960 , 1970 and 1980 arrived .......ALL LIFE CHANGED from the year before !!

In truth that is complete bullshit . What we call the "Sixties " did not really get going until 1963 with the Beatles. What we call the "flower-power" "seventies " started in about 1967 [ in San Francisco , mainly .......drug-induced ] and ended by about 1973 when stark reality , rampant inflation and unemployment took over[ in Britain] .

The flower power was largely a reaction against the Vietnam war .
It was copied by the Beatles etc and spread to the UK from California .

What changed that "way of life" in the UK was not the date on the calendar, but the election of Margaret Thatcher in 1979 and DIFFERENT GOVERNMENT POLICIES.
It was her policies that dictated the "Eighties" in the UK , but they started in 1979. 1979 was pure chance. If her election had been in 1977, things would have changed earlier.

Do you get my point? Decades are discussed widely AS SEPARATE ENTITIES in the Press because the Press like to discuss them to sell papers, ...... and according to the Press , every decade is different from the previous one . In truth, change is more likely to be brought about by the date of a change of government; or emergence of the Beatles ;or the escalation of war bringing a reaction in society etc. than a change in a number on a calendar. But the PRESS love their decades !!

A TRUE DECADE starts with 1981 or 1971 and ENDS on Dec 31st 1990 [ 80s] or Dec 31st 1980[70s] Because TEN is the last year of DECADE , not NINE!!
In other words,, The Eighties , ie 1980 to 1989 inclusive is only Press pigeon-holing , not a scientific entity.

Bonk, You were totally wrong with everything you posted earlier because there was NEVER a year NOUGHT in the first place !!

Now, as you squirm out of admitting you were totally wrong, you make another error.

You say " 12 AM .......12 HOURS BEFORE NOON.....means midnight" !

That is a false statement .

If 12 AM means 12 HOURS BEFORE NOON .........then it follows that 1AM MUST MEAN ONE HOUR BEFORE NOON , and it means no such thing. So you have made a false premise!! 1 AM is ELEVEN HOURS before noon!!

Mathematically , noon should be 12 AM because it comes between 11AM and 1PM .

.....and Midnight should be 12 PM because it comes in between 11PM and 1AM .........and a minute before the latter should be 12.59 PM ..... in other words AFTER MIDNIGHT not in the afternoon !!!

Is that LOGICAL or not ??
The trouble is that innumerate , Arts Graduate types have taken over the planet ......hence the plethora of wind turbines as well!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2009
Viking Warrior,

You have tried to exhibit mathematical erudition....but you START with a false premise. There was NO YEAR 0000 AD ever in history . NOUGHT MEANS NOTHING!!

1BC was followed by 1AD ......."THE FIRST YEAR OF OUR LORD".

So the first millennium IN THE TIME OF CHRIST started with 1AD and ended on December 31st 1000 , then the 2nd millennium started on January 1st 1001 and ended on Dec 31st 2000.......BECAUSE 2000 MEANS TWO THOUSAND YEARS .....and 2000 YEARS ARE 2 MILLENNIA !!!

What could be simpler ??

The arrival of the year 2000 SHOULD have been celebrated because it was the year 2000[ a landmark in history ] .....not because it was a "New millennium" .

That is not being a pedant , that is just simple MATHEMATICAL FACT!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2009
Coolpista
12 noon is 12 am and 12 midnight is 12 pm... correct me if I am wrong.

CORRECT !!

"Bora twice" says in reply:-
Its the other way around. 12 AM is midnight until 11:59 AM, a minute later it becomes 12 PM and 11 hours and 59 minutes later, a minute later its 12 Noon, which is 12 PM until 11:59 PM then a minute later it starts over (12 AM).
How can she say "12AM is midnight until 11:59AM , a minute later it becomes 12PM"...... That's not logic, it is gibberish!! Only a woman could utter that !! What contradiction ! Too much gin !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 16, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:It's 1:10 here and the dark clouds outside my window are spinning fast :lol:

But is it AM or PM?? That is the mystery.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 16, 2009
11:45, just had buttery scones and omlette. Time to pick us a java chip with lots of caramel.....yum!

Nice and sunny day, feeling good, might do some yoga. (the extent a man will go to impress a lady :lol: )
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Wow, some people have time on their hands. LOL

Haha, nicely put (was it meant to be a pun :)?). Yes, I got a bit carried away there. Curiosity about my mistake got the better of me.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 16, 2009
RedKite wrote:I used capitals to drive the TRUTH into your head .

TRY HARDER!!!????!!!?!?!?!?!?!????!?!?!?!? ITS NOT WORKING!!!??!?!?!?!?!??!? PERHAPS USE LARGER TEXT. OR A HAMMER ON YOUR KEYBOARD
bonk

Oct 16, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:11:45, just had buttery scones and omlette. Time to pick us a java chip with lots of caramel.....yum!

Nice and sunny day, feeling good, might do some yoga. (the extent a man will go to impress a lady :lol: )

Is it AM or PM??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 16, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Is it AM or PM??

Yes :).
bonk

Oct 16, 2009
bonk wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Is it AM or PM??

Yes :).

I thought so. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 16, 2009
Even Dubai Forums has got its clock wrong. Look at the postings.

11.51 AM is followed by 12.28PM , followed by 5.32 PM !!

Does that make sense??
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 17, 2009
RedKite wrote:Even Dubai Forums has got its clock wrong. Look at the postings.

11.51 AM is followed by 12.28PM , followed by 5.32 PM !!

Does that make sense??

Yes.

Anyway, it's the php date function that governs the display, using a UNIX timestamp. Any php script using 'A' or 'a' as part of the date() format string parameters will display time according to the 1200-1300 is PM and 0000-0100 is AM convention.

Some information from what I would call authoritative sources (National Physics Laboratory UK, National Institute of Standards & Technology USA, Royal Observatory Greenwich) to help you RK:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/time.html
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy- ... m-or-12-pm
http://tf.nist.gov/general/misc.htm
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology ... -(faq-time)

Now, can I suggest instead of continuing with your flapping, you provide a link to an authoritative source (university, government body, etc) that explains why 1200-1300 is am and 0000-0100 is pm. Preferably one with not too many capital letters or exclamation marks.
bonk

Oct 17, 2009
FROM WIKIPEDIA
[edit] Criticism and practical problems
For more details on this topic, see Comparison of the 12-hour and 24-hour clocks.
People who grew up with the 24-hour clock see the 12-hour notation as a less practical and outdated convention, especially in the context of written communication, computers and digital clocks. Further, they may be confused when they come across situations very common in Internet forums and email, in which a message indicated as posted at "12:46 am" appears before a message marked "11:05 am". (These arguments may be compared to the discussion on metrication.)

The disadvantages commonly voiced in comparing the 12-hour notation to the 24-hour clock are:

Confusion about the correct notation for noon and midnight [HEADING]

Confusion about the difference between midnight at the start and end of a given date
The rollover from 12 to 1 happens an hour later than the change between a.m. and p.m.
It is not immediately clear on an analogue clock whether a time in another time zone is a.m. or p.m.[clarification needed]
The lexicographical order does not match the chronological order.
It is more complicated to implement in software and digital electronics.
Typographically, the a.m. and p.m. terms require more space.
[edit] Confusion at noon and midnight
Style Midnight
(start of day) Noon Midnight
(end of day)
24-hour clock, ISO 8601 00:00 12:00 24:00
Most digital 24-hour clocks 00:00 12:00 —
12-hour digital clocks
with a.m. and p.m. * 12:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. —
U.S. Government Printing Office — 12 a.m. 12 p.m.
Antiquated † 12:00 m.n. 12:00 m. 12:00 m.n.
Canadian Press
UK standard
NIST1 † midnight noon midnight
NIST2 † 12:00 Midnight 12:00 Noon 12:00 Midnight
Associated Press Style[7] 12:01 a.m. noon midnight
U.S. de facto legal 12:01 a.m. — 11:59 p.m.
Encyclopædia Britannica[1] Midnight
December 11-12 12m Midnight
December 12-13
* Digital clocks and computers, when set to the 12-hour system, appear to show the times 12 a.m. and 12 p.m., as in this chart.
† These standards are ambiguous with respect to the whether midnight is at the start and or end of each day.
Since the Latin word meridies means noon or midday, it is illogical to refer to noon as either "12 a.m." ("12 ante meridiem", or "12 o'clock before noon") or as "12 p.m." ("12 post meridiem", or "12 o'clock after noon"). On the other hand, midnight could logically be called either "12 p.m." (12 post meridiem, 12 hours after the previous noon) or "12 a.m." (12 ante meridiem, 12 hours before the following noon); "x a.m." no longer means "x hours before noon", but "x hours into the day but before noon" or "x th hour before noon".

The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, states:

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-".[8]

However, as discussed elsewhere in the same reference, the Sun is highest at 12 noon local
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
RedKite wrote:FROM WIKIPEDIA

Not an authoritative source.

RedKite wrote:The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, states:

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-".[8]

However, as discussed elsewhere in the same reference, the Sun is highest at 12 noon local

Good work RK. Glad to see you finally agree. At least I assume you posted that because you agree.
bonk

Oct 18, 2009
Bonk,
I have not posted the Wikipedia because I AGREE. I have posted it because it PROVES I am NOT wrong and that it is illogical to stick 12 pm in between 11am and 1pm .

12 am is far more LOGICAL for noon than 12pm, if one uses the 12 hour clock , simply because 12.59pm is followed ONE MINUTE LATER by 1 pm.
How mathematically logical is that????

The WORLD has got itself into an ILLOGICAL TIZZY by some users.......including DF....referring to 30 minutes after 12 noon as 12.30pm. Since the 30 minutes refers to the 12 , NOT TO THE AFTERNOON ....... it would make far more sense if the CONVENTION had been 12.30 am for that time in the middle of the day.

Then one could have had the LOGICAL 11 am, 12 am and 1pm in a COMMON-SENSE SEQUENCE!!

SO DO NOT TELL ME I'M WRONG !! WIKIPEDIA MERELY ADMITS TO THE CONFUSION !!!

Something as basic and as IMPORTANT as TIME , should not be open to confusion OR DEBATE !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
hehe, you are so funny old man! and your reasonning and logics are even funnier!!

how do you feel if I say UK's name is Spain!? oh, will you freak out? so you are a RACIST! persian gulf is the name of this body of water! it's like I say london's name is Tehran!! how idiotic is that!

and about the time, of course you are WRONG:

The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, states:

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used. The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-".[

It is a contarct between people! to call 12 noon, 12 PM.

and I'm not gonna answer your insults to me, cause I know manners and my culture doesn't let me to. you can insist on your false reasoning, who cares?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 18, 2009
I cannot believe you are still arguing about the time RK, you are wrong, because the entire world knows that 12pm is midday! If it's too confusing for you I suggest yo use a 24 hour clock.

And the Persian/Arabian Gulf argument has been spouted before, to the majority of countries it's the Arabian Gulf, only Iranians and a few other arab nations call it the Persian Gulf.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
With the rise of Arab nationalism (Pan-Arabism) in the 1960s, most Arab states started adopting the term "Arabian Gulf" (in Arabic: الخلیج العربي al-ḫalīǧ al-ʻarabi) to refer to the waterway.However, this naming has not found much acceptance outside of the Arab world, and is not recognized by the United Nations or any other international organization. The United Nations Secretariat on many occasions has requested that only "Persian Gulf" be used as the official and standard geographical designation for the body of water.Historically, "Arabian Gulf" has been a term used to indicate the Red Sea.At the same time, the historical veracity of the usage of "Persian Gulf" can be established from the works of many medieval historians.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 18, 2009
Heard it all before! Try using that term here - no go!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 18, 2009
RedKite wrote:Something as basic and as IMPORTANT as TIME , should not be open to confusion OR DEBATE !!

Good point. I guess that's why the NMM, NIST, and other authoritative bodies have clarified the issue. Of course they can't force you to agree with them if you want to be the odd one out and disagree with them and the world, as you say.

RedKite wrote:The WORLD has got itself into an ILLOGICAL TIZZY

Funny, with all your exclamation marks and shouting it looks to me like you're in an illogical tizzy.

You're joking when you say you're 62 right :)?
bonk

Oct 18, 2009
Can't YOU read, Bonk???

Whoever put that on Wikipedia has ADMITTED TO THE ILLOGICALITY of 11pm being followed by 12am then 1am

and 11am being followed by 12 pm then 1 pm.
It is not ME that has said so, it is a RECOGNISED PROBLEM. ......That is why it is on Wikipedia!!

There have been AGE-OLD arguments because ILLOGICAL PEOPLE have got it WRONG!!

Sure , one can say that noon and midnight should be NEITHER ....OR EITHER .... PM and/or AM, but the 12 hour clock is common and it is PLAIN DAFT to put 12.59 AM BEFORE 1AM and 12.59 PM BEFORE 1PM .

It does not run PROPERLY NUMERICALLY , and some others have even recognised that on this thread.

It is YOU....and OTHER WOMEN ON THIS SITE .......who DO NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT!!

Is that your excuse for being 12 hours late when you're going out for the night , as you slap on the rouge and the polyfilla ??
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
Melika,
Go for it......have a cat-fight with Choc!!

CLOCK HER ONE , CHOC !!!

Melika, Why don't you tell Sheikh Mohammed it is called the PERSIAN GULF and he is talking rubbish?? You are BOUND to get a visa then !!!

By the way, if it is 12 pm in the Persian Gulf, what time is it in the Arabian Gulf???? Good quiz question !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
I cant believe this argument about time is still going on.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums