Employer Won't Give Back My Passport

Topic locked
employer won't give back my passport Sep 15, 2009
What will happen if I resigned from my employer and I don't have the money to fully pay for the visa expenses which is Dhs13,000? How can I get my passport?

I've already filed a complaint at the Ministry of Labour but it seems that the people at labour favors my employer. They are asking me to pay Dhs13,000 or else the visa will not be cancelled and I will have to stay here in UAE. I've asked my sister's company P.R.O. and he told me that what they are asking is too much. Pls. give me advice on what to do. Thanks.

babylou
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 15, 2009
It is illeaga for anyone to hold your passport aswell as ask you for payment for your Visa. Its is the employers responsiblity to pay for that.

What do you mean the MOL favours him ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 15, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:It is illeaga for anyone to hold your passport aswell as ask you for payment for your Visa. Its is the employers responsiblity to pay for that.

What do you mean the MOL favours him ?

I hope one day you don't own your own Company!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 15, 2009
I do ? Kinda

It is LAW as far as I know other than the authorities i.e:- police etc etc to kidnap your passport. And legally your sponsors is suppose to pay for your Visa expenditures ?

Wha,t onions and sage not mixing too well ?
desertdudeshj

Sep 16, 2009
MOL together with my employer is the one asking me to pay dhs13,000. I've learned from dubailabor chapter 7 article 116 that I need only to pay 1 and half month of my basic salary of dhs1650

Is it possible that my employer has a good friend from the MOL?

Pls. tell me what to do.
babylou
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 16, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I do ? Kinda

It is LAW as far as I know other than the authorities i.e:- police etc etc to kidnap your passport. And legally your sponsors is suppose to pay for your Visa expenditures ?

Wha,t onions and sage not mixing too well ?

If you own your own Company and have to pay all the expenses of recruiting and employing people, then maybe you will also understand the reason why an employer would like to recover the costs when someone only works for a few months leaving the Company substantially out of pocket.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 16, 2009
You right (sage & onion), the problem that is there are people they don’t know what they talking about, they thinking that easy to open company or they think that is who open the company he getting free money so he should pay for everything that employee needs, its little strange from some of people who not understanding the law or the business as well
B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2009
And you (desertdudeshj) don’t make yourself understanding what happening or that you understanding the law, this country respecting whole nationality and they treat local same as the un-local no deference between them, and the fighting the oppression of workers, so don’t play here that you (understanding person), also MOL they never favor somebody and be with somebody because they know him, They stand for the oppressed,
So please don’t say something you don’t have experience in it
B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2009
and you (babylou) want your passport, just send to me your full problem information without forgetting anything, to see who is the wrong one here so we not judging people, then we will try my best to help you
B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2009
B. Dubai wrote:And you (desertdudeshj) don’t make yourself understanding what happening or that you understanding the law, this country respecting whole nationality and they treat local same as the un-local no deference between them, and the fighting the oppression of workers, so don’t play here that you (understanding person), also MOL they never favor somebody and be with somebody because they know him, They stand for the oppressed,

Habibi don't give me this B.S I'v been in this country since the last 33 years and my family has been in the region since the late 60's and doing bussiness since 1977 till date. I grew up standing in line at various govt deparments like the MOL, Immigartion, Chamber of commerce, economic dept etc etc.

And everbody who has been here for over 10 days knows the power of the all mighty wasta.

Seeya, wouldn't want to be ya :wink:
desertdudeshj

Sep 17, 2009
B. Dubai wrote:And you (desertdudeshj) don’t make yourself understanding what happening or that you understanding the law, this country respecting whole nationality and they treat local same as the un-local no deference between them, and the fighting the oppression of workers, so don’t play here that you (understanding person), also MOL they never favor somebody and be with somebody because they know him, They stand for the oppressed,

Whilst I appreciate your understanding regarding the Employer / Employee differences I believe that this statement is one coming from a lack of knowledge as to what really happens in the local market.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 17, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:

Habibi don't give me this B.S I'v been in this country since the last 33 years and my family has been in the region since the late 60's and doing bussiness since 1977 till date. I grew up standing in line at various govt deparments like the MOL, Immigartion, Chamber of commerce, economic dept etc etc.

And everbody who has been here for over 10 days knows the power of the all mighty wasta.

Seeya, wouldn't want to be ya :wink:

Brother if you here since 33 years and you your family since 60’s and doing business since 1977 so that’s mean you should know what you talking about when it’s become about business,
Also we in this area more than 200 years we doing business since those days, we still have our farms from Oman to here, most of the people who working in the government are our related, so don’t show me you muscles and you don’t know with who you talking, we here not to fight or showing each other muscles, we here to solve or friend problem as we can,
Please let us to not talk if we don’t have any experience, also you can’t understand the market because of your family or you study in best place NO, if you want to understand the market and business you have to enter it and working in it by your own hand, without any family help or father money,
The best business man who after losing he succeed, like if he lose one step he succeed on 3 steps if he lose 3 steps he succeed on 7 .. and like that
Brother you can manage your family companies without feel the problems in your company, because there are people working for you, but when you doing it from “0” you will fell everything,
Anyway where are you from (Originally) compare you country with our, if you think yours are best so why you here and why your family making business here, our you just want to show that Dubai lows are so bad !!!

Sorry for disturbing you or bothering you by my words
Have a nice days
B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Whilst I appreciate your understanding regarding the Employer / Employee differences I believe that this statement is one coming from a lack of knowledge as to what really happens in the local market.

You welcome brother; I can feel your situation …
B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2009
I am from UAE, if that makes any sense to you. I was 6 months old when I came here, So you tell me where I am "orginally from" yet I have the same amount of rights as the guy who just landed here about 5 mins back. I am here not because of choice. I did not leave any country to come here.

I love this country and this IS my home and have resisited all attempts from my family and friends to migrate to countries like UK, USA and Canada. But still the govt says I am a forigner and an expat. I still have to go through the insult of renewing my visa and labour card every three years. And this saddens me to no end. Maybe I should have listened to my friends and family gotten my "western citizenship" and comeback here probally would be making more money than I am now.

What do you have to say about somebody like me ? How fair is that ? You tell me.
desertdudeshj

Sep 17, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I am from UAE, if that makes any sense to you. I was 6 months old when I came here, So you tell me where I am "orginally from" yet I have the same amount of rights as the guy who just landed here about 5 mins back. I am here not because of choice. I did not leave any country to come here.

I love this country and this IS my home and have resisited all attempts from my family and friends to migrate to countries like UK, USA and Canada. But still the govt says I am a forigner and an expat. I still have to go through the insult of renewing my visa and labour card every three years. And this saddens me to no end. Maybe I should have listened to my friends and family gotten my "western citizenship" and comeback here probally would be making more money than I am now.

What do you have to say about somebody like me ? How fair is that ? You tell me.

Well … you said that you was 6 month when you came here, so you have another mother country which your family came from, I’m not making you low or less than anybody here brother, I’m full respecting you and your family, but the situation here deferent than any country in the world,
If you here when you was 6 month, I know people they was here since 50’s and the born here and they Arabian people also them uncle have the passport but they don’t have, so there is no comparing with you,
If you go any country in this world you will never find peace like here, we have a lot of advantage that making the people from everywhere relocate them living place,
Also this is long subject to discuss about, so let us to not open something ever have ending,

Thanks for your honest soul, nice to meet you

I am from UAE, if that makes any sense to you. I was 6 months old when I came here, So you tell me where I am "orginally from" yet I have the same amount of rights as the guy who just landed here about 5 mins back. I am here not because of choice. I did not leave any country to come here.

B. Dubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2009
Yes sorry for going offtopic, but I really pisses me off when locals 18 or 20 year old start talking to me about them being a local and shit.

Its enough to shut them up by telling them I'm here since 33 years and your only here for 20 so whose more "local" you or me ? But good to know you also realise that there is a huge problem with immigration and citizenship here.

Anyways peace out
desertdudeshj

Sep 23, 2009
I have 3 kids in my home country, they are currently living with my mother in law which is also working and cannot pay full attention to my kids. She's always complaining about taking care of the kids so I decided that I have to go home and take care of my kids.

I have been working 9 months from my employer. I didn't give a 1 month notice to my employer bec. I tried resigning and he won't accept my resignation in the first place. So I just give him 1 week notice and turn over all my duties and responsibilities. I also told him that I am willing to pay the compensation which is half of my dhs1,650 monthly wage for three months (labor law, chapter 7, article 116) and after a week I tried to acquire my passport and he won't let me. So I filed a complain to MOL and within that day they asked me to come back bec. my employer is there and waiting for me. They asked me to pay dhs13,000 and if I don't they will not give me back my passport. I don't have that kind of money so I asked them that I will come back on the day of the real appointment schedule which is 2 weeks. I tried going to our embassy and they also told me that I will have to pay my employers visa expenses, labor expenses and etc. that they are asking me. Pls. advise on what to do. Thanks.
babylou
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai