Question I Thought I Would Not Be Asking Yet

Topic locked
Question i thought i would not be asking yet Aug 26, 2009
If a Christian women marries a Muslim man is it allowed for them to have the marriage blessed in a Christian church after the traditional Muslim wedding,or would it be considered to be Haram by the Muslim man.

And please lets not slip into the usual BS which every thread seems to fall into these days.

busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Really not sure, but doesn't the woman have to convert?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 26, 2009
Just had another thought,does the brides Father have to pay out any cash
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
busa wrote:Just had another thought,does the brides Father have to pay out any cash

Isn't that general tradition?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 26, 2009
It's just a one off formal ceremony where the non Christian does not partake in any of the rituals apart from the vows and the signing, so the question of haram does not arise.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 26, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
busa wrote:Just had another thought,does the brides Father have to pay out any cash

Isn't that general tradition?

In the Christian version yeah,but i hope not in the Muslim version as well
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:It's just a one off formal ceremony where the non Christian does not partake in any of the rituals apart from the vows and the signing, so the question of haram does not arise.

So he could stand at the alter whilst the bride is walked down the aisl by her Father,i can just picture it now,one in a Kandora and the wench in a white gown,no confusion there at all for visiting relatives lol.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
busa wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:It's just a one off formal ceremony where the non Christian does not partake in any of the rituals apart from the vows and the signing, so the question of haram does not arise.

So he could stand at the alter whilst the bride is walked down the aisl by her Father,i can just picture it now,one in a Kandora and the wench in a white gown,no confusion there at all for visiting relatives lol.

:lol:
Dude I've seen worse, cowboy hats and studs, flowery shirts and wat not!
A Kandora eh? Now that's a whole different ball game. Then again no Church in the Gulf would bless such a couple, so they'd have to go abroad.
And there if the guy insists on a Kandoora, then power to him. That would definately be a pleasant sight! :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 26, 2009
The Birde's Father doesn't pay anything, the Groom pays what they call "before-wedding" and "after-wedding" fees
XD
snake
Dubai Forum User

Aug 26, 2009
snake wrote:The Birde's Father doesn't pay anything, the Groom pays what they call "before-wedding" and "after-wedding" fees
XD

Quite possibly the greatest news i have had since her birth. :D
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Really not sure, but doesn't the woman have to convert?

Muslim men can marry non-muslim women, but male children from the marriage will be raised muslim without question. Muslim women must marry muslim men. A non-muslim wife converts only if she chooses to do so.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 26, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

Muslim men can marry non-muslim women, but male children from the marriage will be raised muslim without question. Muslim women must marry muslim men. A non-muslim wife converts only if she chooses to do so.

Correct
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 26, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

r u sure, could u provide a reference here; iv not heard that bfore
vicked
Dubai Forum User

Re: Question i thought i would not be asking yet Aug 27, 2009
busa wrote:If a Christian women marries a Muslim man is it allowed for them to have the marriage blessed in a Christian church after the traditional Muslim wedding,or would it be considered to be Haram by the Muslim man.

And please lets not slip into the usual BS which every thread seems to fall into these days.

Here's the correct answer to your question: Depends where you are.

If you are in the in the west, it is allowed. but if you are in the middle east is it Haram......

forget about asking anyone on a forum like this. at the end you'll only be cross-eyed and try to walk in opposite directions at the same time. ;-)
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Question i thought i would not be asking yet Aug 27, 2009
qdabdul wrote:
busa wrote:If a Christian women marries a Muslim man is it allowed for them to have the marriage blessed in a Christian church after the traditional Muslim wedding,or would it be considered to be Haram by the Muslim man.

Here's the correct answer to your question: Depends where you are.

If you are in the in the west, it is allowed. but if you are in the middle east is it Haram......

forget about asking anyone on a forum like this. at the end you'll only be cross-eyed and try to walk in opposite directions at the same time. ;-)

So is that to say that you are the only knowledgeable person???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 27, 2009
nope, its only to say that you're just a tiger cat.
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2009
oh dear, stand by for action.....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 27, 2009
qdabdul wrote:nope, its only to say that you're just a tiger cat.

Ever seen a lion kill its prey? It aims for your oxygen pipe and squeezes it firmly until you give up...

Bora is one of them killers
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 27, 2009
INCOMMING !

desertdudeshj

Aug 27, 2009
haha!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 27, 2009
WAIT!!!

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD ON TRACK.

Busa, I guess your daughter has taken a shine to some guy a little before you expected? Maybe Bora has some tips from the 'other side of the fence' (I mean the female side and also to the 'married to a Muslim' side).

If she can roast qdabdul quickly and lightly and move past it... :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 27, 2009
Agreed,

Well if Speedos assumptions are correct then the answer would be no she does not have to convert. Islam does not forbid marriage to people of the book/s ( Jews and chirstians ) Although it is not encouraged and a traditional church wedding is not haram as far I know as there is nothing I can think of which forbids it.

Although the man or his family might object to it depending on how conservative they are.

Hope that helps
desertdudeshj

Re: Question i thought i would not be asking yet Aug 29, 2009

Common practise in a real Christian marriage: there would be pre-marriage counseling and both couples must have been baptised (in your case it means the man must be converted) before the blessing at church.

According to some of my Muslim friends, even visiting a non-Muslim home at certain events (Christmas) or entering church are considered haram, let alone having a wedding at church. CMIIW.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

xty wrote:

Common practise in a real Christian marriage: there would be pre-marriage counseling and both couples must have been baptised (in your case it means the man must be converted) before the blessing at church.

According to some of my Muslim friends, even visiting a non-Muslim home at certain events (Christmas) or entering church are considered haram, let alone having a wedding at church. CMIIW.

But he's not talking about conversion, Just a blessing. The great white wedding? Every girl's dream.
Outside of the GCC, church's elsewhere will bless such a couple. Where I come from the community is rather small, where everyone knows everone. So when a girl from the community got hitched outside the faith, (guess conversion was not on the cards for either party), the Church happily blessed the couple. Wows were taken and the book signed, no rituals like communion etc.. Period! Just a one off ceremony. For all you know the boy and his family may never enter a church again.

Ohh she got married to a Hindu and even their priest happily blessed the couple. He did'nt insist on any conversion or anytin.... So there you go!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2009
Speedhump wrote:WAIT!!!

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD ON TRACK.

Busa, I guess your daughter has taken a shine to some guy a little before you expected? Maybe Bora has some tips from the 'other side of the fence' (I mean the female side and also to the 'married to a Muslim' side).

If she can roast qdabdul quickly and lightly and move past it... :D

:cry: I don't intend to drive this thread south. Actually, you guys were doing a pretty good job without me!

As for qboy, I'll catch him on another thread. Unless, of course, DD gives me the "go ahead"!! :wink:

As for tips, got loads of them!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 29, 2009
qdabdul wrote:nope, its only to say that you're just a tiger cat.

Yeah, i'm just a sweet ol tiger cat and I have my eye on you.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Misery Called Life wrote:
xty wrote:

But he's not talking about conversion, Just a blessing. The great white wedding? Every girl's dream.
Outside of the GCC, church's elsewhere will bless such a couple. Where I come from the community is rather small, where everyone knows everone. So when a girl from the community got married outside the faith, (guess conversion was not on the cards for either party), the Church blessed the couple. Wows were taken and the book signed, no rituals like communion etc.. Period! Just a one off ceremony. For all you know the boy and his family may never enter a church again.
At the end of the day for the benefit of mankind someone has to be flexible. And I think the modern day Church is fully aware of that.
Ohh she got married to a Hindu and even their priest happily blessed the couple. He did'nt insist on any conversion or anytin....

I bolded the "real" word as in "the right way". Why bother to be blessed if it has no meaning to both couples? In your case, "just a blessing", maybe in small chapels in Vegas or some other "commercialized" churchs/chapels.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

xty wrote:I bolded the "real" word as in "the right way". Why bother to be blessed if it has no meaning to both couples? In your case, "just a blessing", maybe in small chapels in Vegas or some other "commercialized" churchs/chapels.

Theoretically your right.
But it's all about being flexible yo.
Sitting there during the Hindu ceremony, bonhomie all round I realised that it's about acceptance and as such religion should promote harmony and not be a barrier. Here are two families embracing each other through culture and through religion.
How can that be wrong?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2009
It's a pity that the administrators of some religions (as opposed to the religions themselves) seem unable to adapt and progress, thereby not only preventing more cultural interrelationships and understanding, but also holding back entire civilisations.

Just another argument in my book for turning our backs on religion completely and forming a more Humanist philosophy to our lives and our world. We have seen enough misery caused by religion down the ages to chance it, if we could get the power out of the hands of clerics worldwide.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2009
But before asking such administrators/clerics, ask youself first that if you had small children, which religion are they following, father's or mother's (in the case both are having different ones)? Unless you don't have a belief or don't enourage/teach the children have one either.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat