Does "culture" Really Have Anything To Do With You

Topic locked
Does "culture" really have anything to do with you Feb 05, 2006
After the cartoons of Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) being in the newspapers, all the television and newspaper debates are discussing things such as....."If Muslims live in our culture they have to live by our laws"

Now..........I am a very proud Scot, born and bred in Scotland, as were my whole family since the year dot!!!!But I am Muslim.A choice I made myself.My family are not Muslim BTW.

Now the debate as shown above is..........
As a British Citizen, my culture is Scottish........but my religion is Muslim?!!

So is the point of "live in our culture, live by our laws" stupid or what?!!!

It seems that people get too caught up in the arguement of East versus West, but there are lots of non muslims in the East as there are Muslims in the West.

I just get a wee bit annoyed with things like this.Too many people have blinkers on!!!

No fights on this on........but whats your views?! :wink:

SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2006
Hi

In your particular position, extremely rare, and very very difficult to answer that one.

I will pass
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Does "culture" really have anything to do with Feb 05, 2006
SheikhaS wrote:Now..........I am a very proud Scot, born and bred in Scotland, as were my whole family since the year dot!!!!But I am Muslim.A choice I made myself.My family are not Muslim BTW.

I commend you on your patriotism and in chosing Islam as your faith.

My recommendation as I lived in the West for many years, nothing is more important than your faith.

In Islam the following order of importance:

God (Allah)
Your mother
Your mother
Your mother (yes three times)
Your father
etc...

Nationality doesn't even figure in the list all the way down to the least improtant thing (yourself).
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 05, 2006
Sorry to disagree, but its not actually that rare!! Sorry. :oops:

Just get in touch with the Al Maktoum Centre in Dundee to clear that one up!!! :wink:

Anyway, In general the question still remains....

"does culture have anything to do with religion?"
ie are all Italians and Irish Catholics, are all Thais Buddhists............(and even more to the point.....are all Scots machete wielding thugs!!!!hee hee!!! :wink: )
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2006
That reply above was for andygang by the way!!!!hee hee

Not you Liban!!!!
:oops:
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2006
SheikhaS wrote:Sorry to disagree, but its not actually that rare!! Sorry. :oops:

Just get in touch with the Al Maktoum Centre in Dundee to clear that one up!!! :wink:

Anyway, In general the question still remains....

"does culture have anything to do with religion?"
ie are all Italians and Irish Catholics, are all Thais Buddhists............(and even more to the point.....are all Scots machete wielding thugs!!!!hee hee!!! :wink: )

It is considered "rare" in relation to

a/ the general populous

b/ the % of those born into Islam in comparrison as a % to those who convert.

If you have any actual figures i would appreciate looking at them.

Also i consider this statement untrue, which is why i find the topic difficult to discuss.

[i]So is the point of "live in our culture, live by our laws" stupid or what?!

This statement only applies to a very small minority in the UK. It is the sort of racist statement made by organisations such as the BNP. It is NOT the sort of statement or philosophy adopted by the vast majority of ordinary citizens in the UK.

I personally find the statement offensive.
arniegang

culture Feb 05, 2006
See, most of us find it very difficult to make our on identiy in this world either by our knowledge or by our deed or by our personality . World is too crowded and each of us dream about carving a big place for ourself in this crowd .

And culture , religion , languague these all help people to feel big ,when they are really just a grain of sand in the sand dune .It helps to inflate our ego .

regds
Sree
sree
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:
I personally find the statement offensive.

Why? I don't understand. :?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 06, 2006
Liban

yea sorry i probably do need to explain. I find that statement offensive because the vast majority of people in the UK welcome and respect people from all countries, faiths, religions, colour etc. This is now part of our culture also.

We are also bound by various Acts of Parliament ( Laws) to abide by this. Racism is now illegal in this country.

Those who openly show racisism whether it be in employment or in our private lives now face prosecution.

Therefore i do not recognise the statement refered too. It is not something i would endorse or support.

This is one of the aspects i find difficult to come to terms with in UAE. This is especially relevant to "employment". In the UK the employment conditions and salary is the same for everyone irrespective of where they come from.

Immigrants are not considered as second class citizens in the UK.

Obviously there is a element that do not support this. The BNP is a political party that does not agree.

Hope i explained this ok, if you need more clarification, just ask i will be glad to expand etc.
arniegang

Feb 06, 2006
OK, I understand what you meant. Thank you.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums