Myself(and My Kitties) Planning Our Move

Topic locked
Myself(and My Kitties) Planning Our Move Jun 12, 2009
I'm currently in the process of completing my Bachelor's in Accounting, and the more I hear about, the more I'm starting to seriously consider the possibility of coming over for a few years and taking an accounting job as a study break before I get my MBA. I've done a bit of Googling on information, but hopefully you guys can help fill in some gaps. In any case, what I'm really wondering about that I can't seem to find information on is:

1. How much will I need to budget in order to bring my 2 cats with me? We're currently located in the US. Also, are landlords generally pet-friendly?
2. As far as the working environment goes, I know my options will be limited as a new graduate. However, what sorts of opportunities are there for being promoted as I prove myself? And of course, how much annual leave can I expect my employer to give me each year?
3. Not that this will have any effect on my decisions, but I'm curious. It will probably be 2011 or 2012 when I go over, and I turn 30 in 2012. I'll probably still be single, so is this an unusual situation for expats in Dubai, as in will I have my moments where I'll feel a bit like Bridget Jones at that dinner party?
4. This one is very important; Is good quality sushi easy to find? I've heard quality curry is so easy to find, which already puts Dubai light years ahead of where I'm currently living. :D

And what else should I know so I can hit the ground running? Thanks so much, I'm excited!

SassyKitten
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 21, 2009
count me a one of your kitties and everything will be fine...
bonbonboi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 21, 2009
A word of advice... for a fresh grad, Dubai is no place to be. Stick in the US, get 3-5 years experience in a good firm then think about a move. Dubai is not a place to "learn". If you are an expert at your given field; you will do well (I.e already a CA).

1. Check out tickets with the airline for pets. I doubt anyone can give you an answer here.

2. Working environmnet for new grads --> See my first sentence.
3. There are a ton of single folk (expats) in Dubai. Young too... you will fit right in.
4. Stupid question

WIthout comming off too harsh, you sound pretty naive about dubai. It is not the Miami of the Middle east. Please do some more research before coming. Don't make the same mistake a lot of others do. Come here on visit, see the place, the lifestyle, living conditions and then decide.
Culture Shock can be tough.
dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum