Daily Traffic Madness - Let's Ducument Our Road Rages

Topic locked
May 10, 2009
This afternoon - SZR - towards Dubai - in front of Jaguar Showroom.

Sitting outside waiting for my car and all of a sudden I see this car moving in reverse in the far right lane. Apparently he overshot the exit and was backing up to get to it - and I'm not talking a few feet!

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 11, 2009
uae has the most number of inconsiderate drivers sorry to say but most of them are from south asians i wander how these guys got a driving license
syndicated_mind
Dubai Forum User

My Story of the day May 11, 2009
I'm driving to work in the beautiful sunshine. I'm in the outside lane and we're all happily doing about 100 with about 10 metres gap. An arab guy in an FJ Cruisers comes screaming up to my rear bumper so close that I can nearly read the badge on his military style beret.

He flashes, of course. Presumably this has something to do with his tiny penis.

I didn't move over because a) it wasn't safe to do so and b) I won't be bullied out of the way just because his car is bigger than mine (I have a little Honda S2000).

A few k's down the road he manages to undertake and then swerves in front of me so that i have to slam on my brakes. He then proceeds to intermittently brake hard as if he's trying to get me to read end him. Obviously I just backed off.

What I wanted to do, was pull him over to the side of the road, drag the cowardly idiot from his car and give him a bloody good hiding. I also thought about reporting him to the police, but they're corrupt and totally useless in these matters. So I had a cup of tea instead.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

May 11, 2009
^ Took the high road. It's too bad there aren't more like you around.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Re: My Story of the day May 11, 2009
Dr Strangeglove wrote:I'm driving to work in the beautiful sunshine. I'm in the outside lane and we're all happily doing about 100 with about 10 metres gap. An arab guy in an FJ Cruisers comes screaming up to my rear bumper so close that I can nearly read the badge on his military style beret.

He flashes, of course. Presumably this has something to do with his tiny penis.

I didn't move over because a) it wasn't safe to do so and b) I won't be bullied out of the way just because his car is bigger than mine (I have a little Honda S2000).

A few k's down the road he manages to undertake and then swerves in front of me so that i have to slam on my brakes. He then proceeds to intermittently brake hard as if he's trying to get me to read end him. Obviously I just backed off.

What I wanted to do, was pull him over to the side of the road, drag the cowardly idiot from his car and give him a bloody good hiding. I also thought about reporting him to the police, but they're corrupt and totally useless in these matters. So I had a cup of tea instead.

As I understand it, you kept it cool which is a plus in itself.

What you didn't mention though is wether it was SZR with six lanes (in this case you don't have any reason to drive 100 on the outer left lanes. Just blend into other traffic for your two mile per hour takeover speed... :idea:

Staying in the left lanes with a bunch of other incompetent lefties that can't use the other 5 lanes properly is just childish. In Europe thats even illegal and doesn't improve traffic flow. In Germany they kill you for it given that German highways have no speed limit in left lanes at some sections. Its suicide to stay left and act stupid.

But it depends where you drove. If it was a 2 lane road and the right lane was full, then you did perfectly. But if you needed to drive outer lane with gaps for a right drive. You ask for it. Let the fast one go by. They pay a fine if the police camera caughts them. Don't be a Hero, cause the wrong guy will ram you to Zero. 8)

Its time they instigate some new fines for driving left lane when there is space available on the right lanes. Hope some of them sunshiners will understand that the left lane is for people in a hurry.

Bunch of incompetent wankers nowadays on highways
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 11, 2009
^^Shoulda just smoked him in that S2000, definitely faster than an FJ :)
Or just hit your windshield sprayers and let him get a nice misting :twisted:
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

May 11, 2009
^ Yah, and you could end up with 1) a speeding ticket from the cameras! or 2) Deported --> ie. the aussie dude who was deported for showing the finger recently.
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 11, 2009
^Nah I live in Abu Dhabi, most of their traffic cameras don't register :)
And they can't report n' deport if they can't catch ya.

In all seriousness i've only outrun 2 pissed off locals from giving them the shower treatment, but not from left-lane slugging, from them trying mid-lane impatience because buses always take up the fast lane on Al Arabi street.

Always nice to know even if they can keep up with you on a straight road, the minute you take a turn they (and i mean no specific group of people) freak out when it comes to actually having to TURN and maybe understeering or oversteering a bit....
THANK you autocross school :)
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

May 12, 2009
Speaking on the mobile phone while driving "straight - in a line" is one thing.

But here's something new I saw today - a local taking a U-turn with one hand on the mobile phone. Must say - the guy's got talent - although if his left hand holding the wheel had to slip, the car would have wiped off at 5 people waiting to cross on the pavement!!!
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 12, 2009
Speaking of being on the mobile phone.

I would like to say thank you to those considerate drivers who when on the mobile and driving slow down to a crawl on the streets and 40km on the highways. Very considerate - NOT!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: My Story of the day May 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
What you didn't mention though is wether it was SZR with six lanes (in this case you don't have any reason to drive 100 on the outer left lanes. Just blend into other traffic for your two mile per hour takeover speed...

Oh dear. Do you live in dubai? Are you familiar with a little phenomenon we like to call rush hour?

I was in the left most lane because I was in a hurry to get to work. The left lane was jammed and all over six lanes were jammed too. Where would you have me pull over to? A parallel universe where SZR is traffic free and you actually have a clue what you're talking about?

What exactly you're talking about when you say "incompetent lefties" is anyone's guess. But it's a shame that you have to resort to pale stereotypes. I mean, are you a racist, you're German after all, should I use that stereotype?
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Dr Strangeglove wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
What you didn't mention though is wether it was SZR with six lanes (in this case you don't have any reason to drive 100 on the outer left lanes. Just blend into other traffic for your two mile per hour takeover speed...

Oh dear. Do you live in dubai? Are you familiar with a little phenomenon we like to call rush hour?

I was in the left most lane because I was in a hurry to get to work. The left lane was jammed and all over six lanes were jammed too. Where would you have me pull over to? A parallel universe where SZR is traffic free and you actually have a clue what you're talking about?

What exactly you're talking about when you say "incompetent lefties" is anyone's guess. But it's a shame that you have to resort to pale stereotypes. I mean, are you a racist, you're German after all, should I use that stereotype?

Of course he hasn't live nor seen Dubai, i think. He's not even german too.

If he tries to drive here in SZR for his first time, im sure he'll freak out when he sees someone/or every other car ahead of him suddenly turns on their hazard lights and might eventually get a nervous breakdown the moment he gets off the road. :lol:
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dr Strangeglove wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

IF you read my post well, you knew you had given us to little details for me to know you had rush hour at the time. Like I said in my post, every situation is different.

No matter how busy it is, incompetent drivers (with a need to drive on the left outer lanes) are always there.

If six lanes where full like you said, then you did nothing wrong my son. You was feeling offended obviously, since thats the easy way for most people. I on the other hand just gave a few examples on this situation you left open (6-lane and 2/4-lane roads) to show you my opinion on things.

We have 4 and the occasional 5 way lanes also here in Dutchy Dutchy land you know ;) One or two lanes xtra don't say much about driver style. So don't tell me that driving a car in Dubai is unique. I've dealt with the worst of drivers.

Its better to see my posts as neutral opinion, otherwise you are on a long way home before I am ready with you. 8)
RobbyG

DDS wrote:
Dr Strangeglove wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Of course he hasn't live nor seen Dubai, i think. He's not even german too.

If he tries to drive here in SZR for his first time, im sure he'll freak out when he sees someone/or every other car ahead of him suddenly turns on their hazard lights and might eventually get a nervous breakdown the moment he gets off the road. :lol:

For the last time...its Dutch, not German.

And no, I'm not racist (where in the hell did that came from anyway) :lol:

Ohh I'm soooo scared driving on a highway with utter incompetent. You're in for a rough ride when I see you clogging up my road and jeopardizing my road safety. :twisted:

Jail time for both of us 8)
RobbyG

May 19, 2009
PointGiven
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 23, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Why buy a Hummer and struggle for parking everyday?

Ask Adam Kechil, the laid-off "car expert" from City7 TV. He has one.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

May 23, 2009
That man was a fool
busa
Dubai forums Addict

May 24, 2009
Hey, I saw my first live accident today. Guess what? It was caused by an idiot driver who thought they were invincible.

I was on SZR towards dubai almost into Dubai when this idiot tries to sneak through a gap between my car and the car in front and the next lane to me. He obviously misjudged it and when he realised there was no gap he ended up smashing into the car in front of me.

We were doing probably 120-130 and he was probably going 160+. He did end up hitting the car fairly square on so luckily the car he hit was able to just stop safely. But the idiot in the other car swerved back into the fast lane and started fishtailing very close to the barrier. It was a miracle he didn't hit it. There was not much traffic so he manage to stop safely too.

Here is a diagram :-)

If could just image if he had tried for the gap and taken out the front of my car and the back corner of the other one.

What an idiot. I hope he gets charged with reckless driving. I gave the guy he hit my phone number in case he needs a witness or anything.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
You are getting close to a lot of potential accident involvements lately Cap.

I hope you remain free from some lunatec crashing into you in the future.

Funny to see you draw yourself as the 'small' car :lol:
RobbyG

May 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:You are getting close to a lot of potential accident involvements lately Cap.

I hope you remain free from some lunatec crashing into you in the future.

Funny to see you draw yourself as the 'small' car :lol:

That's my Tida man. Tida Power!!
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Hey, I saw my first live accident today. Guess what? It was caused by an idiot driver who thought they were invincible.

I was on SZR towards dubai almost into Dubai when this idiot tries to sneak through a gap between my car and the car in front and the next lane to me. He obviously misjudged it and when he realised there was no gap he ended up smashing into the car in front of me.

We were doing probably 120-130 and he was probably going 160+. He did end up hitting the car fairly square on so luckily the car he hit was able to just stop safely. But the idiot in the other car swerved back into the fast lane and started fishtailing very close to the barrier. It was a miracle he didn't hit it. There was not much traffic so he manage to stop safely too.

Here is a diagram :-)

If could just image if he had tried for the gap and taken out the front of my car and the back corner of the other one.

What an idiot. I hope he gets charged with reckless driving. I gave the guy he hit my phone number in case he needs a witness or anything.

Not many people would stop to give a number and volunteer to make a statement. I saw a car go through a red light and hit a taxi and you can see that the taxi driver thought it was all over for him. I went back to where to accident happened, waited with taxi driver for about 1/2 hour, no police, so gave him my number with the driver who caused the accident standing near us and told the driver to make sure he told the truth because the taxi driver could call me as a witness.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Not many people would stop to give a number and volunteer to make a statement. I saw a car go through a red light and hit a taxi and you can see that the taxi driver thought it was all over for him. I went back to where to accident happened, waited with taxi driver for about 1/2 hour, no police, so gave him my number with the driver who caused the accident standing near us and told the driver to make sure he told the truth because the taxi driver could call me as a witness.

Good on you. Being in an accident that is not your fault is bad enough but to be falsely blamed for it would be terrible.

I think this one is fairly self explanatory, but you never know. The guy in the Cayanne could make up something about the other driver swerving or something.

The guy in the Camry seemed confused when I offered the number, but I think he might just have been in shock. They all seemed fine, but it was quite a whack from the porsche so they might have some neck troubles later on.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Good on you. Being in an accident that is not your fault is bad enough but to be falsely blamed for it would be terrible.

I think this one is fairly self explanatory, but you never know. The guy in the Cayanne could make up something about the other driver swerving or something.

The guy in the Camry seemed confused when I offered the number, but I think he might just have been in shock. They all seemed fine, but it was quite a whack from the porsche so they might have some neck troubles later on.

Well if that was the case in the States, I would be laying on the ground screaming "my neck, my neck". Translates into: "Lawsuit, Lawsuit".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Well if that was the case in the States, I would be laying on the ground screaming "my neck, my neck". Translates into: "Lawsuit, Lawsuit".

Nice drama ending.

I would walk up to you, when I hear 'drama, drama' and snap the neck to finish it properly. :lol:

Saves a few pennies in the end. Makes all the difference ;)
RobbyG

May 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Nice drama ending.

I would walk up to you, when I hear 'drama, drama' and snap the neck to finish it properly. :lol:

Saves a few pennies in the end. Makes all the difference ;)

Well if you were laying in the street, I would roll my car back and forth over you, making sure I covered the neck.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Well if you were laying in the street, I would roll my car back and forth over you, making sure I covered the neck.

:lol:

A real drama queen :wink:
RobbyG

May 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Well if you were laying in the street, I would roll my car back and forth over you, making sure I covered the neck.

:lol:

A real drama queen :wink:

You don't know my drama side. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Fresh out Jul 11, 2009
This morning : On my way2the office , I noticed a small car on my left trying to take a right turn from the lane where I’m , I give him the way but unfortunately he missed out, it seems that he wasn’t sure abt the gap in between me and the turning beside it was little late 2make the turning .

I can feel his anger as he start extensive hand language which is means that it was all my fault4him2missed the turn. I change the lane and suddenly he over taken me, it was so close that I really did break so hard. He might think I’m just a little girl N start waving in front of my car. WTH ! I’m pissed at this point, I check around the road and find a chance to speed up and change the lane right beside him.

I thought he was some certain nationalities (sorry guys)by witness the heavy hand language N aggressive attitude but guess what, he’s a 50++Caucasian with little hair flying around his head. I drove right beside him since he has nowhere2go with one car in front of him and mine on the left before I over taken him to make the turning and heading to the office .

Why some people r so aggressive on the road like if they own it .even with such age, just wish he would grow in grace.
love4peace
Dubai Forum User

Re: Fresh out Jul 11, 2009
It sounds like culture clash.

In Germany to change the lane you need to turn on an indicator only.
Imediately after that the car besides you is slowing down and you change the lane. If some foreigner (like me :)) don't give the way after indicator, German is getting angry and anyway is trying to change the lane.

Probably your guy was a tourist who just arrived to Dubai. :)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Fresh out Jul 11, 2009
Red Chief wrote:It sounds like culture clash.

In Germany to change the lane you need to turn on an indicator only.
Imediately after that the car besides you is slowing down and you change the lane. If some foreigner (like me :)) don't give the way after indicator, German is getting angry and anyway is trying to change the lane.

Probably your guy was a tourist who just arrived to Dubai. :)

I guess I can easily say that you've integrated/assimilated very well to German driveability standards.

Good for you :wink:
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat