Today's The Independent Article!! Most Damning One Till Now!

Topic locked
Apr 08, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The lull is in fact a good thing. It is teaching Dubai and the UAE in general that you cannot carry on at such a pace and not suffer the consequences when things do a little pear shaped every now and then.

In future when things begin to be on the up again, I just hope that people will proceed with more caution than they have done.

You should ask RG what that word (Lull) means in his language.

Ohh this is good laugh here Sage. You got Chocs 'by the nuts' so to speak. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A 'Lul' (one L) is the Dutch word for human banana.
And if you consider the context of words in which Chocs described the fact that a banana is in fact a good thing (totally agree with Chocs here), that it teaches Dubai and the UAE a moral lession (again, very accurate), and that running down Sheikh Zayed Road with a building pace that gets the Penus in oval (pear) shape...is quite true too.

Chocs manages to point out what a true lul(l) can carry. Ten points for Chocoholic/or you rather prefer a box of chocolates!?

Thanks Sage, for the header...I didn't see it earlier on :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 08, 2009
So a thread that has shifted from Dark Dubai to Dutch Dicks?

I shall sit and watch to see where it goes next!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:So a thread that has shifted from Dark Dubai to Dutch Dicks?

Knight

Knight, are you a mod?
c3f
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 08, 2009

Knight

:lol: At least some of us sees some form of relation in capital 'D'.

Indeed....wonder what comes next :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
c3f wrote:

Knight

Knight, are you a mod?

More of a 'Rocker' actually, but I have been known to wear mohair suits and tool around on a mirrored up Lambretta from time to time!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
c3f wrote:

Knight

Knight, are you a mod?

More of a 'Rocker' actually, but I have been known to wear mohair suits and tool around on a mirrored up Lambretta from time to time!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Something recently passed my glary eyeballs:

A quote from Peter Schiff:

"When elementary school kids want to escape the confines of their circumstances they pretend to be pirates, princesses, and Jedi knights"

Any familiar aspects to Mr. Dubai Knight !? :lol: 8) :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
c3f wrote:

Knight

Knight, are you a mod?

8) 8) 8)

Knight

"When elementary school kids want to escape the confines of their circumstances they pretend to be pirates, princesses, and Jedi knights"

Yao callin me a princess?
I should come round there and give you a sound thrashin with my pink handbag...

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The lull is in fact a good thing. It is teaching Dubai and the UAE in general that you cannot carry on at such a pace and not suffer the consequences when things do a little pear shaped every now and then.

In future when things begin to be on the up again, I just hope that people will proceed with more caution than they have done.

Ohh this is good laugh here Sage. You got Chocs 'by the nuts' so to speak. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you consider the context of words in which Chocs described the fact that a banana is in fact a good thing (totally agree with Chocs here), that it teaches Dubai and the UAE a moral lession (again, very accurate), and that running down Sheikh Zayed Road with a building pace that gets the Penus in oval (pear) shape...is quite true too.

Chocs manages to point out what a true lul(l) can carry. Ten points for Chocoholic/or you rather prefer a box of chocolates!?

The human banana???? :D :D

Didn’t think a banana can change its state of rigidity!!!

Unless the bananas in Holland are different!!! Maybe the bananas over there are limp and only become hard when placed next to beautiful pears!! I don't know!!

Hey RG,…what about the other parts of ..….. no… no.. just forget it, lest we get edited by the Sage real quick!!

Dark Dubai, then Dutch Dicks, now Dubai Dolls & Princesses… Where does it end?? DDDDD…!!!

:D :D
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 08, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
c3f wrote:

Knight

Knight, are you a mod?

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Yao callin me a princess?
I should come round there and give you a sound thrashin with my pink handbag...

Knight

I could have known that MB-guy had his facts straightened when he said to 'you';

"Lewd, lascivious, paedophile, promiscuous, incestuous, beastiality loving, drunkard, drug abusing, homosexual, immoral, deceptive, hypocritical westerner!'

:lol: :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

The human banana???? :D :D

Didn’t think a banana can change its state of rigidity!!!

Unless the bananas in Holland are different!!! Maybe the bananas over there are limp and only become hard when placed next to beautiful pears!! I don't know!!

Hey RG,…what about the other parts of ..….. no… no.. just forget it, lest we get edited by the Sage real quick!!

Dark Dubai, then Dutch Dicks, now Dubai Dolls & Princesses… Where does it end?? DDDDD…!!!

:D :D

Jonesy, you try typing 'd ick' on a forum with a netiquette change into 'banana'.

At one time you just settle with the changes after a while, if you know what I mean :lol: :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
From Dark Dubai to Dutch Dicks to a Damn good Duffin up with a Dolce & Gabbana Duffel bag...its all Double Dutch to me! Damn!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
Not to forget DD as in desert dude 8)
desertdudeshj

Apr 08, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Not to forget DD as in desert dude 8)

I Did.

Deservedly.

De Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
:(
desertdudeshj

Apr 08, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Not to forget DD as in desert dude 8)

I Did.

Deservedly.

De Knight

Where are my Dikes!? Lost in transition... ;)
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
pinoy1 wrote:No brit the author interviewed showed even a bit of sympathy for the labourers and maids. I do not understand why this article from the UK painted a very horrible image of its people.

Honest opinioned reporting perhaps?

Absolute rubbish Robby! Opinionated rather than opinioned. I have told you before that the British press love to destroy anything that looks good, and build it up again afterwards just to show they have the power, and they do unfortunately (look at Jade Goody, if you have to...). They hate a success story and I am very sure they have been waiting for a chance to smash into Dubai, after describing it as paved with gold for the last few years.

It's pure gutter journalism, and that's what most newspapers are today, because it's what so many jaded, disillusioned people want to read; something about someone worse or worse off than themselves. Thats why people watch soap operas like Eastenders, etc in the UK; to see people living trashy lives. I don't understand it but it's huge.

You don't have this in the Netherlands? Even if you don't, surely you understand the syndrome?

You have to be very blind indeed to see that no country is all bad, and this article makes no attempt to be unbiased. They even describe a hotel as like a broken tooth for god's sake, how manipulative of people's emotions is that? You think the article might be honest? I thought you had a better brain mate, rancour and hate seeps from every word of that article, I just wonder who or who's money is behind these recent attempts to blacken Dubai and the AG (not just the journalist I am guessing.....).

Sure, I know that people drive on fear and demise of others.

But this article isn't really all that strange in relation to its title. Again it says very clearly; THE DARK SIDE OF DUBAI.

I don't have to repeat that anymore I hope. The article isn't about the colorful side of Dubai. Its the downturn, the depression side.

But if you see this in the light of an amusing story!? You got it all wrong.
Nobody reads a story that is 16 pages long and contains 8800 words!!! as amusing!?

This is his own opinion about stuff he sees as 'The Dark Side of Dubai', and he wrote an excellent article about it. Not a soul that can deny that. Its compelling and a bit biased to one side, but thats clearly explained in the HEADER name.

Its not a double sided article. Its his opinion about the serious side of life in Dubai. And its very sick compared to the labour unions we use here in Europe for building a road/high rise or other multi billion dollar infrastructure project. No slavery here I can tell you.

Cut the crap. It is what it is in the 21st century. If they don't want to learn from the curve we experienced in the earlier ages of growth, then they surely are able to resist the critical notes about that ignorant policies they use to support the building boom and human rights demonisation.

Robby where did the word amusing spring from? Not from me. I don't think this article is in the least amusing. Nor do I think it's an 'excellent'article. Journalism this one sided is rubbish and your acceptance of it is disappointing.

You're so willing to ignore that fact that it is incredibly convenient for the already developed world to deny other countries the opportunity to develop themselves as competitors, by demanding that they do so under far stricter conditions (whether it be ecologically, morally, whatever) than the current economic powers had to. Keep China, India, UAE, etc. down by telling them no coal powered plants, no cheap (and willing) labour, and nothing that will harm your country's environment. Nice that the 'civilised' world became 'civilised' due to utilising these very factors, but now say 'no more'. You can be as liberally minded as you want but you wont stop these countries doing what it takes to drag themselves into the 21st century. Accept it and move on. As you said 'it is what it is'.

I guess we won't be seeing you in Dubai this year then.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2009
Its al little more nuanced than what you just sketched;

First off: the word amusing is easily derived from this phrase you said earlier, I quote:

"...because it's what so many jaded, disillusioned people want to read; something about someone worse or worse off than themselves. Thats why people watch soap operas like Eastenders, etc in the UK; to see people living trashy lives. I don't understand it but it's huge."

Well thats amusement of others people hardship or miserable demise or whatever you call it. Soaps amuse people, its not intellectual food, but it is amusing food for people to absorb.

Second: I don't deny these countries their right to develop. (because they have every right to obtain the same living standards as we have here in Western Europe).
But at least do it wisely since the world is being milked from its not so widely available resources. If this continues in the future by emerging economies/countries that are not that sophisticated in their efforts to sustain the ecological environment we live in, it will be desastrous for the whole world by our faults made in early history!

Its should be obvious for you to understand that the advanced nations need to educate the least advanced nations in order to not make the same mistake we are making today...fortunately with a late transitioning to lower carbon emissions, solar power, wind energy, LNG Energy, Electric cars ( for the environment friendly owners, not DD of Dubai ;)).

Since there are corporations with a huge carbon footprint nowadays (which Western technology is now able to measure) like in the US of A and in China/India etc (growing and spoiling natural resources abundantly), it is wise for us, THE WORLD, to take personal responsibility, otherwise regions such as Bangladesh, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, the US, you name it will feel the consequences of a rising sea level due to global warming.

Its a phenomenon not to deny, bcause its there and its measured and the effects are clearly visible in climate change effects during winters and summers in Europe. Also there has been a study that shows that storms over the world control temperature corrections in certain climates and these gradients are becoming larger. That means more tornado's, twisters and other destructive natural phenomenons. They get intenser and are growing in occurance.

If the world doesn't respond now and improve for the better, we all have to suffer from it, and guess who suffers the most when we don't do shit? Thats right, the poorest countries in the world.

So, its up to the savvy minds like Al Gore and Bill Clinton to persuade all these leaders in the world to actually commit to some form of compensation for emitted carbon dioxide from factories, by building new forests and buy emission rights, that can be used to emit more than regulated, but with a penalty that is used for enhanced technology to filter carbon emission from the air, etc.

The list goes on and on what we have to do to make our world sustainable. We are now only extracting from it, all of its resources. This is unsustainable. Education is key to survive TOGETHER with the poorest nations and emerging countries.

You and I can start, by closing the lightswitch when we leave a room. Put out the TV instead of all night on Stand By. Electricity plants are HUGE CO2 emitters. They burn fossil fuels like gas to create steam. It also deprives us from clean water, as this is used for generating the steamturbines in order to create electricity.

Its a vicious circle that has to be changed for the better. The question for you is; Are you willing to participate? We either do it WITH or Without you. The final transition will just be harder to deal with eventually. ;)

And third and final:
Sure I will come to Dubai, but not for becoming an ignorant a$$. I'm doing it for the better for me and my environment, like I always do within some limits set by myself. 8)
RobbyG

Apr 09, 2009
G you speak wisely and I respect that you know that fully but all I heard was Global warming blah blah blah blan Polar Ice caps melting blah blah blah sea levels rising blah blah blah coastal towns drowing blah blah blah.

Basically the same rethoric heard a billion times over from the greenie phobes. In my life time I clearly remember the wise scienctist telling us that another global ice freeze is imminent and we are heading towards the next Ice Age ( ironically it was also around the time of the oil crisis of the late 70's )and now the same fools are telling us we are going to cook in a microwave and lucky ones will drown.

The green movement is just another ploy and scam to create more jobs more money churning industries and another argument and weapon to stop the growth of developing nations. A desperate attempt to be less dependent on resources held by these country. But I can guarentee you that if tommorow all the energy reserves were held by these so called " developed " countries In a few years the green movement would die and new studies will show we need to burn as much fossil fuel as possible to avert a new extinction level natural disaster waiting to happen. You've had your fun but now you won't let us have ours.

Look back into the history of the earth the global climate changes keep on happening. What polluting nation brought on the ice age ? what turned the lush green plains and valleys into the desolete sahara desert of today. Its just the way nature is. Livestock and rainforest produce more green house gases on a daily basis than all humanity combined. You can't fight nature and its pathetic to be trying to make a quick buck out of spreading fear.

Yes I LOVE MY CARBON FOOTPRINT and have full plans of increasing it by getting anothe big block V8 in the near future. And don't you dare tell me I can't.

Cheers 8)

P.S : @ Chocs palestine is VERY relevent in this argument.
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
The ice age is coming but who cares we'll be in Dubai. Nice and warm eating sand. :)
Ruskie
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 09, 2009
Ruskie wrote:The ice age is coming but who cares we'll be in Dubai. Nice and warm eating sand. :)
8)
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:And don't you dare tell me I can't.

Yet you are not so keen on allowing people the freedom to drink alcohol?
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:G you speak wisely and I respect that you know that fully but all I heard was Global warming blah blah blah blan Polar Ice caps melting blah blah blah sea levels rising blah blah blah coastal towns drowing blah blah blah.

Basically the same rethoric heard a billion times over from the greenie phobes. In my life time I clearly remember the wise scienctist telling us that another global ice freeze is imminent and we are heading towards the next Ice Age ( ironically it was also around the time of the oil crisis of the late 70's )and now the same fools are telling us we are going to cook in a microwave and lucky ones will drown.

The green movement is just another ploy and scam to create more jobs more money churning industries and another argument and weapon to stop the growth of developing nations. A desperate attempt to be less dependent on resources held by these country. But I can guarentee you that if tommorow all the energy reserves were held by these so called " developed " countries In a few years the green movement would die and new studies will show we need to burn as much fossil fuel as possible to avert a new extinction level natural disaster waiting to happen. You've had your fun but now you won't let us have ours.

Look back into the history of the earth the global climate changes keep on happening. What polluting nation brought on the ice age ? what turned the lush green plains and valleys into the desolete sahara desert of today. Its just the way nature is. Livestock and rainforest produce more green house gases on a daily basis than all humanity combined. You can't fight nature and its pathetic to be trying to make a quick buck out of spreading fear.

Yes I LOVE MY CARBON FOOTPRINT and have full plans of increasing it by getting anothe big block V8 in the near future. And don't you dare tell me I can't.

Cheers 8)

P.S : @ Chocs palestine is VERY relevent in this argument.

Respect is one point. Listening to arguments is a second virtue you could have instead of saying; bla bla bla green bla bla bla drown. :lol:

Ok, I round off by saying this;

The green movement you talk about is not what I support. In Holland we have the left political wing that contains all those softies advocating the 'Green stuff", limiting every freedom you and I now have basically. The true BLA BLA BLA. I'm not representing that, mind you.

What I do advocate, is the normal personal responsibility we all have just to keep our children healthy and prosperous without leaving a huge bill of problems.
Part of that Green movement is to be commercialised for only one reason! To make it affordable. If it wasn't to be commercialised, not a single soul would do anything about it. Thats why its needs political attention and regulation to keep it affordable over time. Everybody has to contribute by one way or the other. Taxing products, emission rights, mostly brought up by the private sector who sees profit in these investments. You can't change the mind without some form of stimula. A decent return on investment (ROI) is an incentive for the banks and industrials to invest in these sustainable energy solutions.

Each individually on this planet earth just cannot foot the bill for such innovations. It NEEDS to be commercialised to be prosperous in the distant future. Working against it will only enlarge the (financial) bill and the effects it will have on our health.

Final thing: Ice ages you say? Normally a mini ice age could occur every 10,000 years was my knowledge. In the last decade they found out that poles can shift abruptly as well as our worlds climate control system called the Atlantic conveyor system.

IF you really want to know how melting of the icecaps triggers a freeze out, you should read this article, and especially alinea 4: What can disrupt the Ocean Conveyor?

Everyone who wants to know how our climate system works and why we should treasure it, read this scientific research presentation article:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?cid=9986&pid=12455&tid=282

Cheers mate
RobbyG

Apr 09, 2009
FTD wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:And don't you dare tell me I can't.

Yet you are not so keen on allowing people the freedom to drink alcohol?

This is in regards to emissions not Alcohol. WTF dude stay focused man, focus.

This is not about freedom of your rights ( the last desperate card left to play in every argument ) Its about being a hypocrite. If I were to drink like a mofo and pass out every night and then not alllow you to have Alcohol then that constitutes as hypocrisy.

Who are all you to be lecturering the the Emirates about crimes against the enviroment when you yourselves are the biggest enviromental criminals out there.

Sorry buddy your attempts to divert this argument to a subject so near and dear to your heart that you migth actually go to war over it. Alcohol, wont work here.
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
Excatly G nature works on its own path and really cannot be influnced in any major way by us no matter how hard we fart !

EDIT : When the western world is done righting its wrongs " enviormentally " and become zero emission states then they can start pointing fingers at other. US even as gesture refuses to sign the Kyoto Agreement. Just as Israel goes and does what ever it what it wants and when ever it wants.

Why don't the global world powers set an example first before demanding others to do what they themselves clearly don't.
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Excatly G nature works on its own path and really cannot be influnced in any major way by us no matter how hard we fart !

EDIT : When the western world is done righting its wrongs " enviormentally " and become zero emission states then they can start pointing fingers at other. US even as gesture refuses to sign the Kyoto Agreement. Just as Israel goes and does what ever it what it wants and when ever it wants.

Why don't the global world powers set an example first before demanding others to do what they themselves clearly don't.

What is that for reasoning DD?
The air you breath and the gasses you emit, aren't restricted to an imaginary bordercrossing!!? I hoped you knew better!

You didn't even look at my article I searched for you! Or did you?
Its very clear that we influence our environment as an accelerator. Within 20 years time your desert climate is able to change into the coldest region on the planet, due to stoppage of this Atlantic conveyor in the Ocean. Just read the article for your own knowledge.

DONT TRUST ME, read you way into sanity when you find the willingness and time. I just give you some food for thought and simple to understand scientific material.

With regards to Kyoto; I don't know if you follow the news lately, but we have another US President, some guy named Barack Hussein Obama. He is willing to ratify Kyoto protocol as long as there is a flexible approach on emitting rights. This also affects other 190 (I believe it was) nations that (voluntarily) ratify it. The more the better.

You don't like transitions do you? Its either black or white and no grey.
I cannot understand that reasoning... "What they did to the climate, we can do and there is no learning curve for us to be seen"....how ignorant is that!
RobbyG

Apr 09, 2009
I'll be honest with you G I didn't read the article but lemme tell you I'm no dumb ass when it comes to how the climate works and how oceanic currents have a very big part in it and I'm already fimilar with the Altlantic conveyor system But at the end of the day you can find numerous studies agreeing with your point of view. I can google up as many telling you global warming is just hogwash. Which I actually believe not becuase I read an article some where or saw a documentry on BBC about it.

Its becuase every few years something or the other comes up, Sars , bird flu, Mellenium bug, New Ice Age and now global warming. If I were to pay attention to everything out there I would be living in a constant state of fear and paranoia. It is human nature and a very succesfull marketing tactic to spread fear. In fact dubai is famous for it. How fast news spreads here by word of mouth you would be amazed and everytime its passed on a little more spice is added to it. Every freaking day some one will come to me say. Did you hear there is a new law out that they are kicking out all the expats or from now or they are not going to renew visas for people living here for more than X amount of years etc etc and blah blah. I am a very skepital person by nature and this does not help. All my friends know that aswell, and know I need solid proof to believe in something so an article ot two is not going to convice me.

Now I'm not a total enviromental jerk, I'm totally against waste, dumping and litering and strongly support recycling. We have organised many wadi and desert clean up campaigns in fact there is one this friday morning. But this whole global warming issue is just a scam in my view. Like I said a retarted attempt by the west to reduce thier dependacy on foriegn oil. How would you feel if you were the most power full person on earth but you life source was held by a small enemy of yours. Doesnt make you feel all powerfull all of a sudden now does it. What do you think all this imaginary war on terroism in Iraq and Afghanistan is for. Its no big secret that the "West" has had its eye on the oil fields of this region for quite some time now and everytime it get expensive they start at it again.

Here are a few articles from my side for you from your beloved Idependant and Cnn which you put so much faith into

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1050202/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1049869/posts

Why is Canada investing so much money into extracting oil from the oil soaked sands of Athabasca. Its so pathetic the effort and time required to seperate the oil from the sand, but hey if it is one more step towards becomming oil independant then why not Why dump so much money into seperating oil from sand. Why not spend on that money on "green" energy. What happened to saving the enviorment and habitat of Alaska ? Its a global sham in my view and I'm entitled to one.

Cheers

EDIT : Nothing to do with transtions I'm all for positive transtions not useless and imaginary ones and Yes it's all black and white with me brother. In my life, grey does not exsit.
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I'll be honest with you G I didn't read the article but lemme tell you I'm no dumb a#s when it comes to how the climate works and how oceanic currents have a very big part in it and I'm already fimilar with the Altlantic conveyor system But at the end of the day you can find numerous studies agreeing with your point of view. I can google up as many telling you global warming is just hogwash. Which I actually believe not becuase I read an article some where or saw a documentry on BBC about it.

Its becuase every few years something or the other comes up, Sars , bird flu, Mellenium bug, New Ice Age and now global warming. If I were to pay attention to everything out there I would be living in a constant state of fear and paranoia. It is human nature and a very succesfull marketing tactic to spread fear. In fact dubai is famous for it. How fast news spreads here by word of mouth you would be amazed and everytime its passed on a little more spice is added to it. Every freaking day some one will come to me say. Did you hear there is a new law out that they are kicking out all the expats or from now or they are not going to renew visas for people living here for more than X amount of years etc etc and blah blah. I am a very skepital person by nature and this does not help. All my friends know that aswell, and know I need solid proof to believe in something so an article ot two is not going to convice me.

Now I'm not a total enviromental jerk, I'm totally against waste, dumping and litering and strongly support recycling. We have organised many wadi and desert clean up campaigns in fact there is one this friday morning. But this whole global warming issue is just a scam in my view. Like I said a retarted attempt by the west to reduce thier dependacy on foriegn oil. How would you feel if you were the most power full person on earth but you life source was held by a small enemy of yours. Doesnt make you feel all powerfull all of a sudden now does it. What do you think all this imaginary war on terroism in Iraq and Afghanistan is for. Its no big secret that the "West" has had its eye on the oil fields of this region for quite some time now and everytime it get expensive they start at it again.

Here are a few articles from my side for you from your beloved Idependant and Cnn which you put so much faith into

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1050202/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1049869/posts

Why is Canada investing so much money into extracting oil from the oil soaked sands of Athabasca. Its so pathetic the effort and time required to seperate the oil from the sand, but hey if it is one more step towards becomming oil independant then why not Why dump so much money into seperating oil from sand. Why not spend on that money on "green" energy. What happened to saving the enviorment and habitat of Alaska ? Its a global sham in my view and I'm entitled to one.

Cheers

EDIT : Nothing to do with transtions I'm all for positive transtions not useless and imaginary ones and Yes it's all black and white with me brother. In my life, grey does not exsit.

C'mon whats that for 1973 rhetoric. This is no way comparable with what I showed you. I got you the best sources on the net, and you supply with a bunch of conspiracy plans that the US probably did had as alternative plans they never brought into reality. Everybody knows that oil was the driver of economic growth. If you stop oil, you stop life and we don't want that to come into the wrong hands now do we!?

So, what happens is logically a transition away from oil, this time with another factor that is common with carbonate fossil fuel, global warming. Perfect mix, time to diversify and do it for the better! The world is not gonna wait until a fossil fuel (which already reached its peak oil moments) is competely depleted!? You think we don't want to grow anylonger!? Here I go, talking 'we' again, since your reply is triggering that divide again. I dont wanna go that way...

Its us, the world.

Tar sands exploitation by Shell in Canada are only feasible with an oil price around $80-90 dollar a barrel. That is simply to diversify sources and to create more supply that dampens the speculative price, partially. Its only economically viable at certain prices. Thats why currently those sands are on basically on hold. Too expensive to exploit in current downturn.

And I can counter your argument why Canada does let oil sands be exploited. Its because there is an increasing oil demand from emerging countries and a depleting supply from the Middle East and others supplying oil around the world.
Everyone is the Western world still wants to drive the fuel slurping cars until they are transitioned to innovative and improved alternatives, like electric cars, or full dependance on clean hdyrogen fuel (safe tank stations are not economically viable to implement around the world, yet). Not even mentioning the auto lobby in the US, but they are going broke now, so thats no problem anylonger. They learnt it the hard way by not being innovative. If you wait too long, you get old and slow and your business model can't and will not survive. Thats what happens in the US now with GM. Chrysler and to a lesser degree, Ford.

You could have come up with this yourself, since you say you are greatly at levels on technology. But I have my doubts, since I find your arguments very old fashioned and conspirating from the Cold War struggle of obtaining stragic resources in the Middle East during the 1970 - 1980's (US vs Soviets)

Those days are over dude. Its 21st century talk now. You know that too. :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 09, 2009
RobbyG wrote: a depleting supply from the Middle East

What ? Only if you knew the things I knew.

And what 70's rethoric man. Most probally like 99% of people living in the west believe the Iraqi Invasion and now trying tussle up Iran is all about the war on terror you are one of them. Its all about the black gold homes.

The gulf war is the now and the 70's reference is just to show you how long "they" have been drooling to get to it. And now they have found the perfect excuse.

Trust me dude, like I said eairler if USA, UK or Europe had all the oil reserves you wouldn't even know what an electric car was.

Just like you say I choose to ignore the enviromental issues you choose to ignore this. Dude your the one who has to come out of the frame and look at the broad reality.

And the fact remains people will be still be driving petrol driven cars long after me and you are gone. So why fight it, Join in man. get your self a gas guzzler and feel the power of a real machine and not a puny four pot deisel. Oh sorry I forgot you have to leave a kidney behind everytime you fill up at the pump. But you guys are trying your best to make that better now isn't :wink:

Cheers buddy

P.S : when you say "This is no way comparable with what I showed you." WHY NOT ? after all one of the articles is from your cherised independant written by Cahal Milmo one of their chief reporters. The independant which in the other thread you can't help sing high praises of its accurate factual journalism and how well written it is ? Now whats the matter ? Its all of a sudden lost all its credibilty ???

Oh and Checking out mate need to get some Zzzz's
desertdudeshj

Apr 09, 2009
Wow, I missed a LOT of words :D

I have to say I take a bit of each side. I do believe we are harming our environment, we always have. You can't kill rainforest, the lungs of the planet, and expect to live. You can't kill all the lions and tigers and then wonder why there is imbalance in the food web on which a large part of the planet relies to keep in balance. But global warming? We all know that projections made on a global basis tend to be way out of line with reality. That's why like desertdude I don't often accept scientists' projections, and global warming theories are just that; scientists' projections. I don't accept that the effects will be as predicted. As desertdude rightly pointed out, what happened to the world being wiped out by SARS, etc. etc....? All just waffle by men in white coats.

My main point however is that you cannot build a new economic power without a massive amount of cheap fuel and labour. So don't even try to tell the world's developing countries that they can't use either, they won't listen. They'll stick two fingers up at Robby's wise 'learning curve of developed nations' and they are correct to do so, since the west is wagging a finger not to altruistically protect the environment, they are doing it to protect their markets and their economies. That story will never change. Money rules the world and man is a competitive animal (repeat animal, lower cortex is ultimately king no matter what highbrow motives are spouted by leaders of civilised countries that already have their comforts).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2009
it brings me joy to see this much world wide attention on my little country.. even if the articles are in a negative views !! UAE became got successful in being the center of attention world wide even from the industrial countries not for its oil like the old days but for the other economical jump and development, it is amazing the things that has been done here and I got to give to the UAE or any other country that would do all of this in just 30 years or so, I mean look at the other GCC, they got the same resource UAE got but how we used it was the different.

for that negative view of UAE or Dubai, I would say compare it to a similar city then you 'll see and know the real picture and only then evaluate it accomplishment.

for those who has this negative view ,who lives here or want to come here for business, you are a clear hypocrite for being here and bad mouthing Dubai at the same time ! you either have to do one ,that's if you have any principle in life. and you if you failed down the road some where or failed to be what it takes to be in such a city then that's your problem. do not blame your failure on an object (a city) !!

Dubai had issues yes and delt or dealing with it like any other place, I mean look at the history of any giving country and I mean any, every one started with the similar problems. you gave the years to solve it so why not give Dubai ?

RobbyG ,
I guess UAE still has a good side corner in your dark view but I don't have to look deep to compare my country to yours where if our labors has problems but at least we are letting them in and not shutting door on their faces like you recently did !! not to mention the human rights your country has been accused of, or can't you search that.

Dutch block borders to Romanians, Bulgarians over job fears
28 November 2008, 00:28 CET

(THE HAGUE) - The Netherlands has opted against opening its borders to workers from Bulgaria and Romania from January 1 amid heightened fears over job security, the social affairs ministry said Thursday.
"The minister told parliament (Thursday) that there will be no free entry to Romanians and Bulgarians from January 1," Bea Versteeg, spokeswoman for minister Piet Hein Donner, told AFP.
"The economic crisis has caused concern for rising unemployment, and that is why the minister won't open the borders.
"This doesn't mean that we will not allow them by 2010 or 2011, when the economy starts booming again and we need the people."
Donner gave no indication when the decision might be reviewed, but like all other EU member states, the Netherlands had up to 2012 to decide.
The minister will inform the European Union of his stance, said Versteeg.
Bulgaria and Romania became members of the European Union in January 2007. At the time, the bloc exempted other member states from providing automatic entry to Romanian and Bulgarian workers for a two-year period ending December 31, 2008.
Member states had to inform the EU by year-end when they would start granting workers from these countries exemptions from requiring work permits, explained Versteeg.
As at April 2008, the Netherlands counted 100,000 labour migrants from middle- and eastern-European countries that joined the EU in 2004, the vast majority of them Polish.
The country reported a 3.6 percent unemployment rate in October.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat