Taxi Driver Shakedown

Topic locked
Mar 24, 2009
worldguy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:RB: I agree that the taxi drivers do get certain information. But how valuable is it to report someone for drinking if they did nothing wrong other than pay the taxi driver not to call the police? Does that arrest divert some bigger conspiracy taking place? Passing valuable information to the police that puts them onto something bigger is worthy, but blackmailing a passenger is corrupt inself.

everyone is corrupt in uae mate. do you see me defending the taxi drivers? all i am saying is just be careful thats all.

:oops: My apologies RB. Mixed some of WB's comments with yours.

This was meant for WB: You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.

So mums the word when in a taxi. And talking on the mobile should be avoided. Got it!

Nah Bora Bora. I said that, that is wrong and that guy should have also been brought to the police. He did exploit a chink in the Dubai law, which was totally wrong.

These comments are very useful as I surely want to raise them. Though, I get to deal with a small number and if people come across taxi drivers behaving in a manner that they should, what stops you from reporting them. This will just help them in becoming better humans.

Though. Bora Bora you refuse to see the other side of the coin and just want to say that taxi drivers are not at fault all the time.

I can see the other side of things but I will not twist it to justify the behavior of some people. There are just some things were there is no gray area and there is only right or wrong.

I clearly see the other side of taxi drivers. Like when on the rare occasion I do take one and they hesitate to give me change claiming the change as theirs and I have to ask for it. Or when they tell you they don't have any change and I'm due 4 Dhs. When I tip rarely do I get a thank you, and I tip very well. I also see the side where they pass up an Asian to pick up that white lady or guy further down the road.

I also know that these guys work long hours and I do sympathize with them for the most part. But when they put their hand in my pocket I resent that. And don't tell me it's because most passengers don't tip so they try to get over on those, and that it's OK.

Going off course, but as an example: Its the same as when I go to a big supermarket and they round up the change in their favor. Today I was due 90 fils and received 75 fils as change. I told the girl to give me 25 fils. She told me it was only 15 fils so I told the girl then she wouldn't mind giving me only 10 fils and I took the dam 25 fils.

And I also notice that you don't answer questions that I have asked. You have yet to say what you do for a living, where you live in Dubai. You claim to be British, but not a Westerner and compared Westerners as being "the same as us". Just who is us? I asked you what your ethnicity is.

I believe somewhere you stated that you made enough money to retire and you have dedicated yourself to charity work. My friend, if that is the case there are other places in the world that could use your help, because Dubai has set up many charitable causes here. I am sure there are charities in the UK that could use your help. But if you are so geared to work the cause for Indians, then maybe you should dedicate your charity work in India. God knows they could use it.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 25, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
worldguy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:RB: I agree that the taxi drivers do get certain information. But how valuable is it to report someone for drinking if they did nothing wrong other than pay the taxi driver not to call the police? Does that arrest divert some bigger conspiracy taking place? Passing valuable information to the police that puts them onto something bigger is worthy, but blackmailing a passenger is corrupt inself.

everyone is corrupt in uae mate. do you see me defending the taxi drivers? all i am saying is just be careful thats all.

:oops: My apologies RB. Mixed some of WB's comments with yours.

This was meant for WB: You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.

So mums the word when in a taxi. And talking on the mobile should be avoided. Got it!

Nah Bora Bora. I said that, that is wrong and that guy should have also been brought to the police. He did exploit a chink in the Dubai law, which was totally wrong.

These comments are very useful as I surely want to raise them. Though, I get to deal with a small number and if people come across taxi drivers behaving in a manner that they should, what stops you from reporting them. This will just help them in becoming better humans.

Though. Bora Bora you refuse to see the other side of the coin and just want to say that taxi drivers are not at fault all the time.

I can see the other side of things but I will not twist it to justify the behavior of some people. There are just some things were there is no gray area and there is only right or wrong.

I clearly see the other side of taxi drivers. Like when on the rare occasion I do take one and they hesitate to give me change claiming the change as theirs and I have to ask for it. Or when they tell you they don't have any change and I'm due 4 Dhs. When I tip rarely do I get a thank you, and I tip very well. I also see the side where they pass up an Asian to pick up that white lady or guy further down the road.

I also know that these guys work long hours and I do sympathize with them for the most part. But when they put their hand in my pocket I resent that. And don't tell me it's because most passengers don't tip so they try to get over on those, and that it's OK.

Going off course, but as an example: Its the same as when I go to a big supermarket and they round up the change in their favor. Today I was due 90 fils and received 75 fils as change. I told the girl to give me 25 fils. She told me it was only 15 fils so I told the girl then she wouldn't mind giving me only 10 fils and I took the dam 25 fils.

And I also notice that you don't answer questions that I have asked. You have yet to say what you do for a living, where you live in Dubai. You claim to be British, but not a Westerner and compared Westerners as being "the same as us". Just who is us? I asked you what your ethnicity is.

I believe somewhere you stated that you made enough money to retire and you have dedicated yourself to charity work. My friend, if that is the case there are other places in the world that could use your help, because Dubai has set up many charitable causes here. I am sure there are charities in the UK that could use your help. But if you are so geared to work the cause for Indians, then maybe you should dedicate your charity work in India. God knows they could use it.

good observations
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Taxi Driver Shakedown Mar 25, 2009
sage & onion wrote:even if you are a visitor a temporary permit is required.

How does a visitor go about getting one?

I've heard this tale before, granted you don't know what you'd do until faced in this situation but regarding the tale above why didn't they just get out the cab?

Coming home from the IV one night, wasn't drunk but had a couple. Get outside my apartment, fare is only about 15 AED, I give him 25 AED and the driver starts going mad. Shouting "not enough, not enough" endlessly. We're already out the cab at this point, so just walk off with him still shouting.

You get bad cabbies the world over, best method is to by polite, civil yet 'aware'
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 28, 2009
worldguy wrote:Fact - The law says do not drink without a license. Fact - The driver was wrong in asking them for extra money. Fact: He was not wrong in reporting them to police as thats against law and that is why they got stuck. Fact: he was exploitive and a good smaritan. Fact: He is a reflection of our society. Fact: We exploit and then cry when we get exploited. Its never fun to be on the other side of the fence. Fact: Truth is bitter.

How can someone be a "good samaritan" and EXPLOIT someone?

I suppose you also think a pimp who puts run-away/homeless girls on the street to "work" is a "good samaritan as well".

Facts will not solve this issue, its a matter of opinion, and everyone has one.
From my point of view: They were responsible enough to NOT drink and drive. The taxi cab driver is being PAID to drive them home. He is EXPLOITING their situation. Should they be drinking without a license? NO... but should they have been SERVED alcohol without showing proof of a license?... NO (in principle).
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 28, 2009
Well I made a stupid mistake last night of mistaking a 500 Dhs note for a 50 Dhs note as I was paying for my cab. Only realised what I had done after the cab had left, of course he wouldn't be honest and bring the extra change back to me.

This also annoys me, the lack of honesty! Taxi drivers should check and acknowledge the amount given.

My mistake, a costly one that needs to be learned from, nothing I can do about it.

But I also hate it when taxi drivers say they have no change! WTF!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2009
With regard to visitors drinking, if they are staying at a hotel, then they technically are drinking under the licence of the hotel. No need for a temp one, never even heard of that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well I made a stupid mistake last night of mistaking a 500 Dhs note for a 50 Dhs note as I was paying for my cab. Only realised what I had done after the cab had left, of course he wouldn't be honest and bring the extra change back to me.

This also annoys me, the lack of honesty! Taxi drivers should check and acknowledge the amount given.

My mistake, a costly one that needs to be learned from, nothing I can do about it.

But I also hate it when taxi drivers say they have no change! WTF!

Honesty!? You just gave him a months wages....ok nearly then ;)

Just think of yourself as a good Samaritan :D:D:D
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 28, 2009
Well yeah, that's the way I'm looking at it, my mistake is his good fortune and seeing as they don't make much, I'm going to see it as a good thing.

Easy come, easy go as they say!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2009
Guys, they had a liquor license. The problem with their situation according to current application/interpretation of the "law" is that if you leave the place where the alcohol is consumed then you are "in public" and therefore arrestable if someone complains. Pretty f$^^ stupid, eh?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2009
An update found here - http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/message ... icID=62224

Seems the court came to its senses and dismissed the case. The couple had a liquor license, so they didn't get a fine or jail time. Nothing will happen to the taxi driver though - the couple was told to forget about him.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well yeah, that's the way I'm looking at it, my mistake is his good fortune and seeing as they don't make much, I'm going to see it as a good thing.

Easy come, easy go as they say!

Consider yourself having made a donation to charity. Lessens the pain, but only slightly.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 02, 2009
kanelli wrote:An update found here - http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/message ... icID=62224

Seems the court came to its senses and dismissed the case. The couple had a liquor license, so they didn't get a fine or jail time. Nothing will happen to the taxi driver though - the couple was told to forget about him.

Saw that. One for the good guys!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 02, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
kanelli wrote:An update found here - http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/message ... icID=62224

Not the best outcome if taxi drivers are now considering untouchable.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2009
gtmash wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Not the best outcome if taxi drivers are now considering untouchable.

Well it happened with a hotel car, not a registered taxi, if that makes any difference in the future. "Untouchable" - nah - slap on the back of the head if you have a liquor license.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:With regard to visitors drinking, if they are staying at a hotel, then they technically are drinking under the licence of the hotel. No need for a temp one, never even heard of that.

Chocs, because you never heard of it does not simply mean that it is not officially required by law. I have personal experience of a visitor to Dubai, being arrested in a hotel for having consumed Alcohol without having the necessary Temporary license. This is not a rumour or a story, as I have said before here in Dubai their is never a problem until their is a problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat