Weird Question, Selling A Car

Topic locked
Weird Question, selling a car Mar 24, 2009
So I want to sell my car, but the thing is, it's registered to my mom, and i;m labeled as a name driver, heres the thing though, my MOM does not live in Dubai anymore, she lives in England...

So my question is, can I sell the car without my mom (who technically owns it and im just driving it legally).

My dad does live here, but I duno with Dubai laws and such, cause its going to be a pain in the ass if she has to come back here just to sell the car, especially since she can't fly for a year due to a heart surgery she just had...

Any insite would be AMAZING. Thanks in advance.

Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 24, 2009
As far as I know, the buyer and the seller has to be present no matter what. I bought an unregistered Jeep from a guy who was selling it from a friend who left the country. Basically the friend had handed over ownership legally to this guy (with paperwork) and the car was unregistered. Should've thought of doing that before if your mother planned to leave. I am assuming she had an emergency though.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
yea, went back to england for heart surgery, is there anyway we can get around this then? It's not possible for my dad (Who is married to my Mom) to somehow brute force this or something?
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 24, 2009
Cybix wrote:yea, went back to england for heart surgery, is there anyway we can get around this then? It's not possible for my dad (Who is married to my Mom) to somehow brute force this or something?

How about contacting a company called Midland Cars (they advertise in GN classifieds) in Karama. They handle car registration issues. I've only used them for straight-forward stuff a long time ago. Maybe they know a way around this.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
I think if you can get a notarized power of attorney legally translated into Arabic MIGHT help. But GT is right the Seller has to be atleast physically present as far as I know
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 24, 2009
Just call somebody that knows about international law and ask how you have to deal with the current situation. I think your mom should send you a lawful notification that you are in full authority to sell the car under your name.

Go find an expert. He might help you way better than us.
RobbyG

Mar 25, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Just call somebody that knows about international law and ask how you have to deal with the current situation. I think your mom should send you a lawful notification that you are in full authority to sell the car under your name.

Go find an expert. He might help you way better than us.

He-he... Internationl law...It doesn't work in Dubai, dude...

The way of legalizing documents is quite difficalt and different here according to my experience...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
well i had the same problem with my dads car. it was registered in his name but he was out of the country most of the time. so we decided to change the name of the ownership. trick is go to the police and tell them you want to transfer the owner from person a to person b. they will give you a form. fill it out and just get your mum to sign on it and tell her to fax it to you or courier it to you.

you will need her passport copy and other papers etc. i did this 4 years ago so i dont know if you will have any luck. but you might as well try it it wont hurt anyone.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2009
I would suggest that you get a letter (To Whom It May Concern) from your Mom's doctor stating her medical condition and that she is unable to travel for an indefinite period of time.

Then go to a solicitor and get a power of attorney which states that your mother is unable to travel, that she is residing in the UK (provide address), and that she is giving you (son, passport #) power of attorney to sell her car (provide details). This can be signed by the solicitor and your Mom and it should be notarized. Have the originals sent to you. Rather than explaining the situation and hoping they take your word, the documentation would have validity.

Good luck.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 25, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I would suggest that you get a letter (To Whom It May Concern) from your Mom's doctor stating her medical condition and that she is unable to travel for an indefinite period of time.

Then go to a solicitor and get a power of attorney which states that your mother is unable to travel, that she is residing in the UK (provide address), and that she is giving you (son, passport #) power of attorney to sell her car (provide details). This can be signed by the solicitor and your Mom and it should be notarized. Have the originals sent to you. Rather than explaining the situation and hoping they take your word, the documentation would have validity.

Good luck.

And the first reaction of the RTA desk jockey would be to turn you away. Trust me, the desk jockeys know less of the rules than anyone. Talk to a big man at the SZR Tasjeel centre first (in the offices behind the desk jockeys), before wasting your time on legalities.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
BB,
I don't quite understand how health condition of a man could help in transfering ownership to another person... I think it shoud be another paper like deed of gift, then legalization and so on...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
Red Chief wrote:BB,
I don't quite understand how health condition of a man could help in transfering ownership to another person... I think it shoud be another paper like deed of gift, then legalization and so on...

The paper would indicate the health condition of his mother, who is in the UK (she had heart surgery) and hence her inability to travel to the UAE. The power of attorney would give him authorization to sell on her behalf. He can take these papers along only to hand them over in the event he cannot talk his way through it.

Telling someone that you are so-and-so and want to sell someone else's car isn't exactly going to fly.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 25, 2009
Power of attorney is very questionable thing here. You know that notary officer can notarize a document that he knows in presense of the owner. I don't think it's possible to do with UAE document in the UK...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Power of attorney is very questionable thing here. You know that notary officer can notarize a document that he knows in presense of the owner. I don't think it's possible to do with UAE document in the UK...

Yes of course you're right, the Notary can only do his job if the author of the document is present. A UK notarised document should be acceptable here TO A COURT, once translated, but as others have said, you need to convince the RTA, which is another matter.

I think there's no alternative to taking proper legal advice (a GOOD accountant might help I think, and cheaper than an attorney/lawyer) because this sounds full of problems. I would hesitate before accepting the advice from a used car salesman.

Good luck, and I really hope your Mum is doing well.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2009
SH,
Why did you change your dandy camel for these weird characters I saw pedominantly on the public toilets somewhere in Hong Kong?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Power of attorney is very questionable thing here. You know that notary officer can notarize a document that he knows in presense of the owner. I don't think it's possible to do with UAE document in the UK...

The MOTHER who is in the UK draws up the power of attorney with her solicitor in the UK giving her SON power of attorney. The power of attorney would be coming from the UK.

The document signed by the solicitor and the mother would be notarized in the UK, not in the UAE.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 25, 2009
just get the damned paper signed by your mum simple. no1 checks as long as you have the documents with you and dont sweat in front of the policeman :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2009
rudeboy wrote:just get the damned paper signed by your mum simple. no1 checks as long as you have the documents with you and dont sweat in front of the policeman :D

Not really the police any more, eh? RTA handles this in Dubai.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
Red Chief wrote:SH,
Why did you change your dandy camel for these weird characters I saw pedominantly on the public toilets somewhere in Hong Kong?

LOL. The camel will be back soon.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Red Chief wrote:SH,

LOL. The camel will be back soon.

Sighh...the relief !!! :lol:
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat