Taxi Driver Shakedown

Topic locked
Re: Taxi Driver Shakedown Mar 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:OK, here's a new one. Since the government has put life back into the drinking law it seems that taxi drivers and hotel limo drivers are shaking down passengers.

Here's what I read on another forum:

Married couple go to dinner and have a couple of drinks. Rather than drive themselves home they went to look for a taxi. A hotel limo pulls up and offers to give them a lift. Since they were not having any luck with a taxi they figured they would take the limo even if it was going to cost extra.

Get to their destination and the taxi driver wants 100 Dhs. because they had been drinking. The refused. Driver threatens to call the police and report them for being drunk in public. The wife takes out her mobile to call police to report the shakedown, the driver slaps it out of her hand, it breaks and the taxi driver called the police and reported the couple.

Husband taken to the police station and given a breath test, which indicates he consumed alcohol. He now has to appear in court. The taxi driver - nothing!!!! Apparently if you drink outside your home you need a liquor license as well. Tourists are not bothered because they are on a tourist visa, but if you have a resident visa, the law applies to you.

Read another story where a taxi driver demanded 400 Dhs. when shaking down a passenger. This shakedown business is catching on real quick.

The law regarding liquor license is clear, you need one to consume Alcohol, even if you are a visitor a temporary permit is required. However this law is seldom enacted, basically it is only a problem when their is a problem.

This is new to me. You need a license to drink in a hotel? Are hotels required to ask guests to show the license?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:WG: Taxi drivers don't own the 14 hour day. My husband never works less that 12 hours a day and for the most part works 16 hours a day - and he's not a taxi driver!

Do you get paid a salary or is your work volunteer? How do you pay your bills or do you live off charity? Are you a bachelor living with 12 other men in a one bedroom flat?

Agreed, but your husband does not work 7 days a week for 14 hours. A lot of NGO's are currently raising the same point that, if taxi drivers continue to work the way they are working, there will be issues.

I volunteer and contribute to charities. I consider myself lucky that I made enough during the boom from 2003 and 2007, that I have effectively retired. I travelled the world for six months. After that there was strange emptiness in my life and then I went from one thing to another and than realised that charity is what I want to do.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:OK, here's a new one. Since the government has put life back into the drinking law it seems that taxi drivers and hotel limo drivers are shaking down passengers.

Married couple go to dinner and have a couple of drinks. Rather than drive themselves home they went to look for a taxi. A hotel limo pulls up and offers to give them a lift. Since they were not having any luck with a taxi they figured they would take the limo even if it was going to cost extra.

Get to their destination and the taxi driver wants 100 Dhs. because they had been drinking. The refused. Driver threatens to call the police and report them for being drunk in public. The wife takes out her mobile to call police to report the shakedown, the driver slaps it out of her hand, it breaks and the taxi driver called the police and reported the couple.

Husband taken to the police station and given a breath test, which indicates he consumed alcohol. He now has to appear in court. The taxi driver - nothing!!!! Apparently if you drink outside your home you need a liquor license as well. Tourists are not bothered because they are on a tourist visa, but if you have a resident visa, the law applies to you.

Read another story where a taxi driver demanded 400 Dhs. when shaking down a passenger. This shakedown business is catching on real quick.

The law regarding liquor license is clear, you need one to consume Alcohol, even if you are a visitor a temporary permit is required. However this law is seldom enacted, basically it is only a problem when their is a problem.

This is new to me. You need a license to drink in a hotel? Are hotels required to ask guests to show the license?

Yes, but they avoid doing that.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:WG,
why do you think that 5000 DHS is a bad salary for those guys... Some of them didn't even leave a primary school. Another point that it's difficalt to earn the same money as a year ago due to World's crisis.
Anyway they should struggle against the emploer, not inocent (in his troubles) people...

Such way you can justify any blackmailer...

Nobody gets above AED 1,800 and then they pay AED 500-600 for rent and spend AED 400 on food, AED 100 on phone and send the rest back. Most of them do not have comprehensive medical insurance like us and thus have a nightmare if they fall sick.

This is something that NGO's are trying to address and change their way of thinking. There are bodies trying to counsel them, but if you hear the stories from them, you will get a different perspective.

Sometimes the truth is somewhere in between.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:
worldguy wrote:
kanelli wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Its not a shakedown, just a "good samaritan" doing his duty. It is illegal to be drunk in public here and you should respect that, even being aware of the law and still breaking it, then getting caught and screaming foul is no justification.

You are seriously lacking in brain cells on this one desertdudeshj.

FACT: Alcohol is allowed to be sold in hotels and in alcohol shops and people are issued licenses for purchasing and consuming alcohol. FACT: It is responsible for people to take taxis to get home after drinking so that they don't drive their own cars. FACT: Drinking in a restaurant or at a friend's house and then taking a taxi to your door means you are not drunk "in public" causing problems for people. FACT: Dubai is not populated by only pious religious folk who don't consume alcohol and these people need to be accommodated as well. FACT: It is absolutely immoral for a taxi driver to accept those people as passengers only for him to exploit them. If he doesn't want to drive drunk people he shouldn't have accepted them as passengers.

The driver was not a good samaritan, he was being exploitive.

Fact - The law says do not drink without a license. Fact - The driver was wrong in asking them for extra money. Fact: He was not wrong in reporting them to police as thats against law and that is why they got stuck. Fact: he was exploitive and a good smaritan. Fact: He is a reflection of our society. Fact: We exploit and then cry when we get exploited. Its never fun to be on the other side of the fence. Fact: Truth is bitter.

But he wasn't going to report them if they gave him money, so how was he a good samaritan?

The driver is what he makes himself. If he doesn't like to be exploited, then why does he choose to exploit others? If he doesn't like his salary then he should change jobs, not blackmail passengers and cause a couple to be arrested and face court proceedings etc. I certainly hope his conscience is nagging him right now. It isn't that couple who exploits him - couples like that help pay his monthly salary and tips.

its not about being a good guy. its all about money. world is all about power, greed and money.

am sure the driver had a CID friend otherwise he wouldnt have that much confidence to call them up. and when you have contacts you can do whatever you want even make a few quids out of some drunken couple. if that was me and knowing what dubai is like i would have given him the cash instead of being clever and call up the police and probably get into a mess which they are right into.

if you know dubai and the way it works why go to the hassle and waste your time? get over and done with
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
xero_ wrote:
worldguy wrote:
xero_ wrote:last sunday i wanted to smash an arrogant taxi driver's face to a bloody pulp. i was driving slowly in a parking lot then him coming out of a public toilet stared me down and gave me the indian finger (whart??). i rolled down my window and asked him whats the problem and he shouted "i no problem, GO!". my friend riding with me just told me to let it go cause alot of people were there in satwa and alot of police patrols too. if this ever happens again with me driving alone, god save his soul.

now they are extorting people for money? damn these taxi drivers need to be taught a lesson physically so it gets reported in the papers and they tasty their pants and know where they belong.

:x :x :evil:

How do you know he was Indian and not from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or even Pakistan. I am not defending this, but you seem to be just creating a story to justify your point. None of the taxi drivers would have the ba**s to show a middle finger for no rhyme or reason. It needs to be reported regarding their behaviour and driving, but do you know that these people drive 14 hours a day without a break. Ever wondered why .... ever thought of understanding a problem, before raising hue and cry. You are educated right .... suggest a solution ... think logically and you will realise the reality.

If you wanna be a white, I am the king of the world attitude, go su*ck coz the way some of the westerners behave in UAE is no better than workers in labour camps.

We just have forgotten to respect life and find solutions.

what are you ranting about indian? i said the INDIAN FINGER? YOU KNOW? where they twist the fingers in a retarded fashion. i know not only indians do this but pakistani's, etc... i just like to call it the indian finger just like the indian head bobbing... understand? and im not white.

about them driving 14 hours a day, thats not my problem. they can resign whenever they want. i do my job without complaints and i do not bring people to my anger. ive even rode with drivers that likes to princess non-stop about the traffic or the destination youre going to and i tell them to shut up and do their job. hell i even rode one taxi where my wife was halfway through the door and he accelerated, i got so angry i kicked his bumper pretty hard and i thought he will fight bu he just acted like a good doggy afterwards. if they want to bring me to their anger then they should be ready to fight and not twist those stupid fingers in the air like a fa_gg0t and not cry in the police station afterwards.

Your idea of generalising made me think that way. Only people from down South would wobble their heads ... not from rest of the India. Anyway I do not want to go that way. If somebody misbehaves than you need to stand up.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
Just a thought. How do we even know that the taxi driver did this in the first place. Maybe he was a good smaritian and took the couple to the cops. The couple then went around pushing this story as maybe their egos were hurt.

Maybe the taxi driver did the right thing or maybe he was a jerk and tried to blackmail. Nobody will know the truth.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
its not about being a good guy. its all about money. world is all about power, greed and money.

am sure the driver had a CID friend otherwise he wouldnt have that much confidence to call them up. and when you have contacts you can do whatever you want even make a few quids out of some drunken couple. if that was me and knowing what dubai is like i would have given him the cash instead of being clever and call up the police and probably get into a mess which they are right into.

if you know dubai and the way it works why go to the hassle and waste your time? get over and done with[/quote]

If you have contacts, you can anything any where you want. Anything my friend. There is corruption in evey country, some hide it, others are dumb enough to flaunt it.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
worldguy wrote:its not about being a good guy. its all about money. world is all about power, greed and money.

if you know dubai and the way it works why go to the hassle and waste your time? get over and done with

If you have contacts, you can anything any where you want. Anything my friend. There is corruption in evey country, some hide it, others are dumb enough to flaunt it.[/quote]

EXJACTLY. it happens everywhere but the difference is in the west it is under the table and you will only hear about it after a few months. in the east it happens in front of you and you get to hear about it next day.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
worldguy wrote:Just a thought. How do we even know that the taxi driver did this in the first place. Maybe he was a good smaritian and took the couple to the cops. The couple then went around pushing this story as maybe their egos were hurt.

Maybe the taxi driver did the right thing or maybe he was a jerk and tried to blackmail. Nobody will know the truth.

So that's your spin on it. Yeah, someone's ego is so big that they made the story up. You want so badly to turn it around so that the taxi driver is the victim.

Just how "worldly" are you? You seem very limited in your exposure and haven't gotten around very much.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
worldguy wrote:Just a thought. How do we even know that the taxi driver did this in the first place. Maybe he was a good smaritian and took the couple to the cops. The couple then went around pushing this story as maybe their egos were hurt.

So that's your spin on it. Yeah, someone's ego is so big that they made the story up. You want so badly to turn it around so that the taxi driver is the victim.

Just how "worldly" are you? You seem very limited in your exposure and haven't gotten around very much.

Unless it happened with you or somebody you personally know ... how could you be so sure?

People did not make the story, but added that bit about taxi driver asking the money. You rarely get the real picture and I have seen all kinds from all over the world. Maybe I could say the same about you.

In all types you get the good and the bad .... people who swear by the truth and bull sh*tters. Come on Bora Bora you taking this personally, unless you were the victim and then I will agree 100% that taxi driver was at fault.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
got to agree again. we all dont know the full story and we all are coming up with our assumptions.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora, before I work you up again ... take a deep breath, read your PM and would appreciate some more details on this. If nothing else, I will use this as an example to educate a few .....
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
RB,
Why do you think that most taxi drivers cooperte with CID? It is not their busines, is it? Do you have a clue?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:RB,
Why do you think that most taxi drivers cooperte with CID? It is not their busines, is it? Do you have a clue?

well taxi drivers know everything. they get to hear everything and see everything. these guys are on the road all day long and when they meet up with the taxi driver friends they exchange the "gossip". and thats why cid use them because that "gossip" can sometimes be valuable information.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

The answer is in accordance with the law you do require a permit to drink, even in a hotel. As I said it's only a problem when their is a problem.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
worldguy, you REALLY want to sympathize with the taxi driver. Poor guy, has no choice but to drive a hotel limo (in a seat in AC as compared to the construction workers who work 12hr shifts and work and live in non-AC environments, for example) and no choice but to hustle passengers for more money. He has no choice but to take an innocent couple who was out for the evening and taking a taxi home so no driving under the influence of any alcohol, following Dubai's rule about no driving under the influence of alcohol, and turning it into a night from hell for them. Wow, I'm feeling really sorry for him right now... :roll: I did charity work as well and care about human rights, but it has nothing to do with this guy blackmailing his passengers.

If this becomes a common taxi racket, then people will just use designated drivers or will drive drunk. It won't stop people from drinking alcohol in restaurants etc. Having a license is just way for the govt to make money. The entire time we lived in Dubai we never bothered to get a license. We bought our alcohol from airport tax free and from hotel restaurants. No need to buy from the liquor stores because we weren't heavy drinkers. Having a license is only about money for the govt, not about responsible drinking, which is what the govt should be more worried about since they allow drinking in the first place.

I know why Dubai doesn't ban alcohol... money is more important.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:worldguy, you REALLY want to sympathize with the taxi driver. Poor guy, has no choice but to drive a hotel limo (in a seat in AC as compared to the construction workers who work 12hr shifts and work and live in non-AC environments, for example) and no choice but to hustle passengers for more money. He has no choice but to take an innocent couple who was out for the evening and taking a taxi home so no driving under the influence of any alcohol, following Dubai's rule about no driving under the influence of alcohol, and turning it into a night from hell for them. Wow, I'm feeling really sorry for him right now... :roll: I did charity work as well and care about human rights, but it has nothing to do with this guy blackmailing his passengers.

If this becomes a common taxi racket, then people will just use designated drivers or will drive drunk. It won't stop people from drinking alcohol in restaurants etc. Having a license is just way for the govt to make money. The entire time we lived in Dubai we never bothered to get a license. We bought our alcohol from airport tax free and from hotel restaurants. No need to buy from the liquor stores because we weren't heavy drinkers. Having a license is only about money for the govt, not about responsible drinking, which is what the govt should be more worried about since they allow drinking in the first place.

the most important question is who is giving the government to come up with such ideas like a license required to drink?

sorry but i dont think arabs are the most constructive ppl on earth and they certainly cant come up with such ideas. what is happening around dubai is build on ideas. ideas which have come from out of dubai itself. ppl like you and me have brought these ideas and sold them off to the dubai govt. so is it dubai govts fault or individuals who sell these ideas?

salik hmmm similiar to london
durail hmmmm similar to japanese
list goes on but i guess u got the drift.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
kanelli wrote:worldguy, you REALLY want to sympathize with the taxi driver. Poor guy, has no choice but to drive a hotel limo (in a seat in AC as compared to the construction workers who work 12hr shifts and work and live in non-AC environments, for example) and no choice but to hustle passengers for more money. He has no choice but to take an innocent couple who was out for the evening and taking a taxi home so no driving under the influence of any alcohol, following Dubai's rule about no driving under the influence of alcohol, and turning it into a night from hell for them. Wow, I'm feeling really sorry for him right now... :roll: I did charity work as well and care about human rights, but it has nothing to do with this guy blackmailing his passengers.

the most important question is who is giving the government to come up with such ideas like a license required to drink?

sorry but i dont think arabs are the most constructive ppl on earth and they certainly cant come up with such ideas. what is happening around dubai is build on ideas. ideas which have come from out of dubai itself. ppl like you and me have brought these ideas and sold them off to the dubai govt. so is it dubai govts fault or individuals who sell these ideas?

salik hmmm similiar to london
durail hmmmm similar to japanese
list goes on but i guess u got the drift.

No, it just looks like blame being put on outside influences in Dubai, which is passing the buck. Of course other govts can borrow ideas from other countries, but it should make logical sense!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
RB: I agree that the taxi drivers do get certain information. But how valuable is it to report someone for drinking if they did nothing wrong other than pay the taxi driver not to call the police? Does that arrest divert some bigger conspiracy taking place? Passing valuable information to the police that puts them onto something bigger is worthy, but blackmailing a passenger is corrupt inself.

You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Its not a shakedown, just a "good samaritan" doing his duty. It is illegal to be drunk in public here and you should respect that, even being aware of the law and still breaking it, then getting caught and screaming foul is no justification.

You are seriously lacking in brain cells on this one desertdudeshj.

FACT: Alcohol is allowed to be sold in hotels and in alcohol shops and people are issued licenses for purchasing and consuming alcohol. FACT: It is responsible for people to take taxis to get home after drinking so that they don't drive their own cars. FACT: Drinking in a restaurant or at a friend's house and then taking a taxi to your door means you are not drunk "in public" causing problems for people. FACT: Dubai is not populated by only pious religious folk who don't consume alcohol and these people need to be accommodated as well. FACT: It is absolutely immoral for a taxi driver to accept those people as passengers only for him to exploit them. If he doesn't want to drive drunk people he shouldn't have accepted them as passengers.

The driver was not a good samaritan, he was being exploitive.

Yes, yes FACT FACT this n FACT FACT that and all that crap. Funny you guys are so passionate about booze and anything which will cause hinderance into consuming mass quantites of it will seriously get your panties in a twist.

IF you bothered to read the my post correctly the word good samaritan was in quotes i.e " good samaritan " implying it was a play on words. Yes it was nothing short of black mail and exthortion but the rest of my post is ALSO FACT !!!!

Dubai gives you the chance to consume booze but also lays down the law. Now its YOUR problem to do that with in the confines of the law. FACT
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I'm not surprised that you are one of them, but what do you think that he wanted some money to cover it? Is it legal in India as well?

My Big Red friend, I wouldn't know how sh!t goes down in India. Maybe I would IF I was from there or ever visited the place.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 24, 2009
Dubai gives you the chance to consume booze but also lays down the law. Now its YOUR problem to do that with in the confines of the law. FACT[/quote]

Dubai allows alcohol because they make money from selling it and from Tourism which would not exist without it.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009

I guess I am not doing a great job at putting it clearly. I will restate it much clearly now: -

1) if the taxi driver tried to charge extra money, then he was wrong. He was trying to exploit a law.

2) The Dubai govt wants to make money as its a hidden tax.

3) People should accept the laws of the country they are in. If they do not like them, they can very well leave. In Australia, Indians were attacked, but the police came with the following - A) Non english speakers should not speak in their language in public places; B) if they do, then they should talk softly, c) they should not carry expensive items in the night like - laptop and Ipods. Is that right .... hell no, but its the law of that country and I know a lot of people like me do not consider Australia safe anymore to travel.

4) My point is, what is the couple travelling in the cab misbehaved, puked, etc. We do not know anything, yet we blaming the taxi driver. I agree that taxi drivers need to be controlled, but lets not judge them because somebody posted somebody on the net.

5) I am also not saying that they are better than labourers. Labourers are like that because of most of the people in UAE squeezing them and not feeling a thing for them. I see people feeling sorry for cats and dogs, but will run these guys down, if they dared cross the road.

6) If the couple had the license, would they have been exploited. No. Its the rule of the land. I can give you 100's of examples of weird laws from all the countries.

7) I can also post pics from lot of my western mates, who are drunk pi**ed on thursday night and have to be literally taken home, vommitting away to glory ... having to me the cab guy to clean the car. The only time my friends faced an issue was when they made a mess in the cab. Thus, I am saying again ... maybe there is more to the story than that meets the eye.

8) Do I defend cab guys ... no, they suck, but if somebody works week after week without a break, they will behave differently. This issue has been raised in factories of major retail brands, but always slips the radar.

You say you work for charity, yet you cannot see the disparity in incomes based on race and nationality. You can not see the exploitation of fellow humans. Every meal you have has been made after exploiting them on the expense of having them stay away from their families and work in this un bearable heat. Ever though how companies have money to pay to expats in this country. Do a sanity check for yourself and you will realise that millions suffer to give a few privilaged ones a better life here. You are one of them.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
worldguy, you are adding lots of "what ifs" to the story to try to make your passion for the taxi driver sound more palatable to everyone. The original post didn't say anything about how drunk the passengers were. How do you know they didn't just have 2 or 3 drinks each? We can all play the guessing game.

Perhaps an experienced limo driver who picks up drunk passengers might have some plastic bags handy to give passengers who might otherwise puke all over his limo?

Anyone who cares about cats and dogs also cares about labourers and wouldn't want to run them down if they "dare" cross the road. I can't believe you even posted that kind of drivel. If you are speaking literally about that, you should realize that some labourers have been hit by cars because they travel by foot in unlit areas where the labour camps are located. They are often wearing dark clothing and crossing in unsafe places. Also, some jumped in front of cars to commit suicide because their situation was so desperate. It is unfair to blame the car drivers in all cases or insinuate that they were run down because they were labourers.

What makes you say that I don't understand the disparity in incomes based on race and nationality? I experienced it every day living in Dubai. There isn't a single person living in Dubai who doesn't see and feel it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
By the way, here is the original post by the woman involved in the incident with the taxi driver. http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/message ... 058&Page=3

The couple were not falling over drunk and had a liquor license. The husband is being charged with being drunk in public because his blood tested positive for alcohol at the police station after the taxi driver complained. The wife went into the house so police left her alone and only focused on the husband. It seems a taxi from restaurant to your home is deemed a public place by police.

So, it appears that in Dubai you can legally buy and consume alcohol in a restaurant with a license, but you can't go home until your blood is clear of alcohol, or else you face prosecution.

The authorities have their heads up their butts on this one!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:RB: I agree that the taxi drivers do get certain information. But how valuable is it to report someone for drinking if they did nothing wrong other than pay the taxi driver not to call the police? Does that arrest divert some bigger conspiracy taking place? Passing valuable information to the police that puts them onto something bigger is worthy, but blackmailing a passenger is corrupt inself.

You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.

everyone is corrupt in uae mate. do you see me defending the taxi drivers? all i am saying is just be careful thats all.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:RB: I agree that the taxi drivers do get certain information. But how valuable is it to report someone for drinking if they did nothing wrong other than pay the taxi driver not to call the police? Does that arrest divert some bigger conspiracy taking place? Passing valuable information to the police that puts them onto something bigger is worthy, but blackmailing a passenger is corrupt inself.

everyone is corrupt in uae mate. do you see me defending the taxi drivers? all i am saying is just be careful thats all.

:oops: My apologies RB. Mixed some of WB's comments with yours.

This was meant for WB: You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.

So mums the word when in a taxi. And talking on the mobile should be avoided. Got it!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I've had some really good taxi drivers, others are complete assholes!

Last week one guy was speeding all over the place, tail gating and yapping on his phone. We complained and asked him to drive properly and told him he could get a fine for being on the phone. He held up a wad of fines! Laughing, obviously not caring! We literally wrestled his phone off him and told him he could have it back when we got to our destination.

Seriously, I'm not having my life put at risk by these idiots!

Its great you did that. This is what is exactly needed. If you see them doing something wrong raise it and then the bad ones will learn their lesson.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

:oops: My apologies RB. Mixed some of WB's comments with yours.

This was meant for WB: You are very selective in what you read and respond to. Only if it fits into your argument then you respond. You refuse to see the corruption in the taxi driver's action.

So mums the word when in a taxi. And talking on the mobile should be avoided. Got it!

Nah Bora Bora. I said that, that is wrong and that guy should have also been brought to the police. He did exploit a chink in the Dubai law, which was totally wrong.

These comments are very useful as I surely want to raise them. Though, I get to deal with a small number and if people come across taxi drivers behaving in a manner that they should, what stops you from reporting them. This will just help them in becoming better humans.

Though. Bora Bora you refuse to see the other side of the coin and just want to say that taxi drivers are not at fault all the time.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat