Another Weekend Desert Romp Some Pics Aswell

Topic locked
Another Weekend Desert Romp some pics aswell Mar 21, 2009
Well as usual, did our weekly romp around in the desert. Amazing fun, and always great to be among the dunes. This weeK I took the boys for a Long Trip from Alain to Dubai offroad and managed to see some gazelles along the way ( sorry too fast for the camera )

The Desert is addictive, after having worked in the field for arounf 8 years I thought I had enough, but after hanging up my desert driving gloves wasn't long before I was itching to back to the desert again and having just sold my 4x4 I was royally kicking myself.

Found the first decent capable vehicle and off I went again 8)

Here are some pics enjoy !

Mr Trip Leader ME and Big Red ( My Landy )

So if any of you are of adventurous and love the outdoors specially the desert and have a semi decent 4x4 you folks are more than welcome to join our offroad club www.emarat4x4.com we regularly hold drives for absloute newbies to the desert aswell so no previous experienced is required. Plus we also do some adventure and exploration drives aswell. The UAE is almost 90% desert and there is some beautifull places to be seen. And the best bit of all its free. So if you have a single outdoorsy bone in your body then register and start joining us for our weekly desert trips.

P.S : Don't think of this spam or I'm trying to launch a new initiative here. The club is already a year old with around 500 members already. Just wanted to share this opputunity

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 21, 2009
Great intiative Desertman.

I see a very nice car I would like to drive one day. The yellow cruiser! :D

Great pictures. thnx for sharing dude
RobbyG

Mar 21, 2009
You mean the Yellow Sheep/Cheap(Jeep) Wrangler ! Very cheap and common although this one is a nice canary yellow and very well kept.

Come on down many of my mates use these as their desert toys. I'll let you have spin in one ;)
desertdudeshj

Mar 21, 2009
Haha, I'm boarding the plane as we speak ;)

What does a Wrangler like that go for nowadays?
Cheap is a relative phenomenon, if you know what I mean.
RobbyG

Mar 21, 2009
20-25k or get an eairlier model for around 10 ish.

Be forewarned though extremely rough ride. I know tractors which ride smoother. Noisy, cramped cabin and its better to fan yourself with a A4 sized sheet of cardboard then use the A/C in summer. The cardboard will cool you faster. But a powerfull motor with a light body makes for a good power to weight ration and good offroad peformance. So 99.9% of the people who own a sheep also have a proper car and use the cheap for only romping around on the weekends.
desertdudeshj

Mar 21, 2009
Hi! I should probably ask this question in the forum you mentioned, but I'll try here first! I went out into the desert for the first time yesterday (after 10 months of thinking about it), with 3 friends. We went in My Fortuner (2.7 VVTi version), and took all the right kit in case we got into trouble. After having to be pulled out of soft sand by a couple of indian camel farmers with a water tanker (!) we then managed to get stuck in betwen the dunes near to Fossil Rock, and only got out after a hair raisiing jump over the top of a dune, at speed, as a last resort! (A bit like the end of Free Willy....!). So my question is : Is it something i did, or are Fortuners just rubbish for the desert?!!!!!!!! I am really keen to do more desert excursions, but am now thinking i need to get another car before i try something more adventurous than Fossil Rock....and my boss won't be too pleased when he sees the video of how i made his company car fly.......
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
BlueOrb wrote:Hi! I should probably ask this question in the forum you mentioned, but I'll try here first! I went out into the desert for the first time yesterday (after 10 months of thinking about it), with 3 friends. We went in My Fortuner (2.7 VVTi version), and took all the right kit in case we got into trouble. After having to be pulled out of soft sand by a couple of indian camel farmers with a water tanker (!) we then managed to get stuck in betwen the dunes near to Fossil Rock, and only got out after a hair raisiing jump over the top of a dune, at speed, as a last resort! (A bit like the end of Free Willy....!). So my question is : Is it something i did, or are Fortuners just rubbish for the desert?!!!!!!!! I am really keen to do more desert excursions, but am now thinking i need to get another car before i try something more adventurous than Fossil Rock....and my boss won't be too pleased when he sees the video of how i made his company car fly.......

I like the part when you expressed a jump like Free Willy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can you make sure we get to see that fantastic jump video :wink:
try Youtube for uploading.
RobbyG

Mar 21, 2009
Try jalexonline on that site. It is up there now....and bear in mind it looks like fun, but i had to throw my boxers away last night.....if you catch my drift!!!!
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
BlueOrb wrote:Try jalexonline on that site. It is up there now....and bear in mind it looks like fun, but i had to throw my boxers away last night.....if you catch my drift!!!!

Nice vid. thnx.
So you were able to keep the springs up and working...? What brand of car is that by the way?

Can't recognize it. Not from Europe thats for sure :wink:
RobbyG

Mar 21, 2009
It's a Toyota Fortuner 2.7 VVTi....with some extra trims round the bottom (which i thought were destined to come off). No problems with the springs - it bounced pretty well on landing, and no problems afterwards. I think maybe the engine is not big enough for the weight (reading the post above about power to weight ratios). Maybe the 4.0 V6 Fortuner would be better....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
BlueOrb wrote:Hi! I should probably ask this question in the forum you mentioned, but I'll try here first! I went out into the desert for the first time yesterday (after 10 months of thinking about it), with 3 friends. We went in My Fortuner (2.7 VVTi version), and took all the right kit in case we got into trouble. After having to be pulled out of soft sand by a couple of indian camel farmers with a water tanker (!) we then managed to get stuck in betwen the dunes near to Fossil Rock, and only got out after a hair raisiing jump over the top of a dune, at speed, as a last resort! (A bit like the end of Free Willy....!). So my question is : Is it something i did, or are Fortuners just rubbish for the desert?!!!!!!!! I am really keen to do more desert excursions, but am now thinking i need to get another car before i try something more adventurous than Fossil Rock....and my boss won't be too pleased when he sees the video of how i made his company car fly.......

First of all let me congratulate you on have the b@lls on taking the first step and stepping of the tarmac. Many drive highly powerfull offroad monsters but the maximum action they ever see is the regular mall crawling. * sigh* just look at the amount of jumeriah jane mallcrawlers outthere !

Bro 99% of the times its driver error and not the car. Any 4x4 is good enough for the desert. Ofcourse some cars perform better than others but basically its driver skill. A skilled driver in an underpowered car can go places where an unskilled with a real offroad performance beast will struggle. One of the founding members and a senior offroader from our club uses a 4cyl Prado( Grey Prado in the 3rd pic ). Same engine as your fortuner and heavier body if not the same weight. And he goes everywhere, and has even been to the empty quarter several times in that thing. So nothing wrong in the car dept.

As for getting stuck lemme tell you something, it does not matter wheter you have been driving in the desert for 50 years or 5, lemme assure you.= of something YOU ARE GOING TO GET STUCK. OK a seasoned driver might get stuck less often but everynow and then he/she is still going to get stuck. We have a saying in the offroading community The sand is no ones friend. And if you come across someone who brags he does not ever get stuck. That can only means two things. Either he is a liar or hasn't driven on anything other than the beach !

Its unclear when you said you went with three friends that wether you were three cars or 3 pax. If you went out on your own with 3 pax, that was probally wasn't the smartest thing to do. In fact you should never go out to the desert on you own. On a minimum there should be two cars, incase one breaks down or gets stuck, the other can pull you out or go for help. Anyways alls well that ends well.

As for you jump I, assuming you were sitting in the depression ( or bowl or pocket as we call them ) of fossil rock. There is always more than one way to attack a dune. Also a typical newbie mistake of not easing off the gas as you reach the crest of the dune and you end up getting some air and hopefully not doing a hard nosedive or worse flipping over.

Since you already joined the club. There is good info there on what kind of safety and recovery gear you need to have. What prelimiary checks need to be made. Also signup for any newbie drives comming up, where you be taught basic offroad skills, proper way to deflate your tyres, what to do in case of a stuck, the proper way to do a self recovery, the proper way to tow your car out of a stuck and a whole lot more. Also don't worry we are not really tight arsed about some strict made up rules and regulations. As basically the idea is to have fun and learn offroading and not get the feeling your attending boot camp ! Our drives ususally end up with a relaxed round of tea, some snacks and some banter reflecting on the days drives at the nearest cafeteria from the exit point.

Most of the drives you can bring you family along for the trips aswell. My wife always rides shotgun in most of my trips ! Also we also do family orientated BBQ and Camping events aswell. Although the camping season is pretty much over :(
desertdudeshj

Mar 22, 2009
You have some great sandhill areas there .They were great shots.Keep em comin.They remind me of the time I went to Ceduna (far west coast of South Australia) on a fishing trip there.Its great fun hammering over the sand hills!
Adventure1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 22, 2009
Crap my huge post with a LOT of pics got crapped by loss of power. Old battery on the laptop bloody thing can't hold a charge for more than 30 secs..grrrr! :evil:
desertdudeshj

Mar 22, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Crap my huge post with a LOT of pics got crapped by loss of power. Old battery on the laptop bloody thing can't hold a charge for more than 30 secs..grrrr! :evil:

I'll swap a laptop for a yellow Cheap Jeep Wrangler :wink:

:lol:
RobbyG

Mar 22, 2009
@ desertdude:

Thanx for the words of encouragement - you are probably right - driver not the car!!

I did go in one vehicle, but purposely chose the easiest route in the book, with a lot of it being on an access road under pylons, and on fairly firm sand. Also, there were a lot of other vehicles around, and the route is close to several major roads. (I work as a HSE Manager so Risk Assessments rule my (boring) life!!!)

I have now registered on your site, and hopefully will be able to tag along on a newbie drive very soon.

And the point of hammering up the dune and not lifting off was to get out of the place...also to the right of the corner of the dune was hollow, which i didn't want to end up in, so making sure i got over in a straght line was the priority!!!
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 22, 2009
BlueOrb wrote:It's a Toyota Fortuner 2.7 VVTi....with some extra trims round the bottom (which i thought were destined to come off). No problems with the springs - it bounced pretty well on landing, and no problems afterwards. I think maybe the engine is not big enough for the weight (reading the post above about power to weight ratios). Maybe the 4.0 V6 Fortuner would be better....

I've got a chipped 3.0 turbodiesel in my fortuner, pulls like a raped ape and never bogs down :D
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 22, 2009
Unfortunately i had to take what i was given.....i consider myself lucky because the boss originally wanted to get me a Mitsubishi Nativa (cheaper.....). I was talking to a local guy in the bar a couple of weeks ago, and he has a Landcruiser that kicks out 1300BHP apparently....I'm waiting for a spin in it!
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Another Weekend Desert Romp Some Pics Aswell Feb 06, 2011
Bump
desertdudeshj

Re: Another Weekend Desert Romp Some Pics Aswell Feb 07, 2011
No more crapping up a nice and fun thread.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat