I Want To Buy A Laptop Online. Suggestions Please?

Topic locked
i want to buy a laptop online. suggestions please? Oct 30, 2008
hi
reposting this as i realized the subject of my other thread seemed like spam so hardly any views!

Looking to buy a laptop online that i can customize. What are your thoughts on the latest specs and best brand?

Qsts -
1. Where can i buy online reliably (i guess straight from the manufacturer) that will ship to Dubai? Even if it doesn't ship to dubai, i can ship to a friend in the states and they can send it here but it should have intl. warranty.

2. There should be international warranty.

3. What's the difference between intel centrino 2, and intel core duo? or are they the same?

4. what's the latest laptop processor available currently?

5. which is the best place for reviews and info. on the latest specs for a laptop?

thanks all!

ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 01, 2008
why not buy it from ebay,if u want
enlaine
Dubai Forum User

Nov 10, 2008
hey there,

what exactly will you be using the laptop for? for games? graphics? or something else?

let me know so I can help you out.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 11, 2008
hi
i dont play games, so normal usuage. downloads, watching movies/music etc.
i know i dont need the biggest or best, but its nice to buy as much as possible once n 4 all and then keep it for a few years..
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 11, 2008
hey there,

have a look at this thread http://dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=30601

and visit www.motioncomputing.com they are suppling rugged computers for the mobile professionals such as doctors, engineers, construction workers, and so on. basically its for ppl who are always on the move.
so if you are on the move and want to check your mails or do some presentations, I would suggest you go for one of these babies. I have them here in UAE so if you would like to see how exactly they work do let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhKrgM1 ... re=related a video showing what happens if you pour water on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkec9JY- ... re=related heres a drop test showing nothing happens to it even if you drop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Affc9NJR ... re=related a user who was able to do free hand sketching using the styrus.

There are many more applications and software for this including hand drawing building maps using the styrus in autocad. Even allows you to do hand write a email in outlook, insert a sim and send an email while travelling in a bus.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Re: i want to buy a laptop online. suggestions please? Nov 27, 2008
ineedacoolnick wrote:hi

Um, i know all Fujitsu will provide 3 year international warranty. I'll recommend them. I'm using the Fujitsu Lifebook U2010 which is small and easy to carry around.
Wii
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 28, 2008
fujitsu is good (fujitsu being our parent company). stable, good life time & not so expensive
hp is stylish, feature rich, gives you extended warranty through carepacks & more of multimedia laptops (although some pavillion models are focused on professional/business use) i personally love hp's tablet notebooks in tx2000 series

acer (travel mate series) are good for frequent travellers

toshiba (tecra series) stable & robust

alienware (everyone's dream)

Sony via (thumbs down)

i would suggest:

get a laptop that is 64bit rather than the normal 32 bit edition.
you would benefit here since you could add more than 4GB memory.

if getting a 64 bit lappy, go for a 64bit OS (XP 64bit or Vista64 bit)

acer laptop has a model with support for adding multiple sata hard disks (each HDD 320GB )

you definitely need a heavy duty batter (perhaps 6 cell batteries +)

and other features like wifi, bt, dvdrw+lightscribe & so on..

most importantly being the speed, memory & hdd capacity

so .. now find one as such
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2008
if you want to see one of the tablets from motion computing just drop me an email on aulhuq@hotmail.com. I have the tablet pcs here in UAE and are available for demos.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 03, 2008
Without extended warranty, I'll not recommend HP. I have frds bought HP due to its low price and style outlook. However, all of their HP laptop have problems after a year.

ahamed wrote:fujitsu is good (fujitsu being our parent company). stable, good life time & not so expensive
hp is stylish, feature rich, gives you extended warranty through carepacks & more of multimedia laptops (although some pavillion models are focused on professional/business use) i personally love hp's tablet notebooks in tx2000 series

acer (travel mate series) are good for frequent travellers

toshiba (tecra series) stable & robust

alienware (everyone's dream)

Sony via (thumbs down)

i would suggest:

get a laptop that is 64bit rather than the normal 32 bit edition.
you would benefit here since you could add more than 4GB memory.

if getting a 64 bit lappy, go for a 64bit OS (XP 64bit or Vista64 bit)

acer laptop has a model with support for adding multiple sata hard disks (each HDD 320GB )

you definitely need a heavy duty batter (perhaps 6 cell batteries +)

and other features like wifi, bt, dvdrw+lightscribe & so on..

most importantly being the speed, memory & hdd capacity

so .. now find one as such
Wii
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: i want to buy a laptop online. suggestions please? Dec 09, 2008
Hi ineedacoolnick

I've been in the Information Technology industry for several years so I can give you some quick and free, expert advice.

Today brand and name basically mean nothing, all laptops are basically made of the same parts and components.

Even the computers of yesterday have more than enough power for anyone, even too much power.

I always recommend to friends and family that you buy the "cheapest" one you can find, as long as it meets your needs. If you can't think of any special needs, then anyone will suit you.

Since you are in Dubai I'm going to recommend Dell, I don't like Dell, but the warranty is a concern for you. Buy a cheap Dell laptop, and you will have access to quick warranty service around the world including Dubai I believe.

Intel Core 2 Duo is a CPU chip that has two cores, basically as if you have two CPUs instead of one. It is a great feature, but for most people makes no difference or improvement.

With Centrino, I don't know the specs, but I know they come standard with Wireless N, in practice is is not very useful.

I will say, buy whatever once is the cheapest, any laptop computer these days will have more than adequate power for anyone.

Just buy the cheapest one you can find, and you won't go wrong.

I hope that helps.
ineedacoolnick wrote:hi
reposting this as i realized the subject of my other thread seemed like spam so hardly any views!

Looking to buy a laptop online that i can customize. What are your thoughts on the latest specs and best brand?

Qsts -
1. Where can i buy online reliably (i guess straight from the manufacturer) that will ship to Dubai? Even if it doesn't ship to dubai, i can ship to a friend in the states and they can send it here but it should have intl. warranty.

3. What's the difference between intel centrino 2, and intel core duo? or are they the same?

4. what's the latest laptop processor available currently?

5. which is the best place for reviews and info. on the latest specs for a laptop?

thanks all!
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 05, 2009
Fujitsu is among the best laptop. Even more high tech than sony, toshiba, etc. Equipped with anti-shock, lightning protector, lightweight, and camera, data security...many more good thing about it search it in Google.
frontier2002
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 22, 2009
what ever laptop you look for i suggest that it is toshiba ! i have 2 toshiba laptops from the uk and have been using them for 2 years without any problems.

if you are purchasing online you need to bear in mind that if a problem occurs that you will have to pay outside the warranty to fix it.
content creator
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 23, 2009
I got a Toshiba laptop (M200) a year ago before coming here and it has never let me down.

But for the person saying get a 64 bit processor/OS can I please recommend against that. Sure it will give you more than 3.whatever Gigs of ram, but for Movies/Internet/Normal Apps etc you're not going to miss that.

Plus, every now and then you're going to hit something that doesn't work properly on x64. I use one at work because we need the extra RAM for high end apps (3d rendering) and it is just a hassle. I found a few programs just didn't work properly. In a few years when 64 bit becomes standard then sure, go for it. But if can't see any real reason to need it then just get a normal machine. Plus I can imagine 64 bit laptops cost more (guessing).

Just make sure you have at least 2 gigs of RAM. 3 would give you a bit more flexibility, 4 you can't use and don't need.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Feb 24, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Just make sure you have at least 2 gigs of RAM. 3 would give you a bit more flexibility, 4 you can't use and don't need.

Yeah, forgot that one captain.. application compatibilty could be the worst nightmare.

I was particularly highlighting the speed.

However, 4GB on a vista box with SP1 (and as long as your BIOS shows the actual attached memory! {correct me if i am wrong} )
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Feb 24, 2009
Doing some research, looks like you can get windows to use slightly more than the 3.2GB or whatever default limit. But it's pretty minor. Noone is going to notice a few hundred extra megs of RAM.

But not more obviously, 32 bit has a 4gig limit.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Feb 24, 2009
motion wrote:hey there,

have a look at this thread http://dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=30601

and visit www.motioncomputing.com they are suppling rugged computers for the mobile professionals such as doctors, engineers, construction workers, and so on. basically its for ppl who are always on the move.
so if you are on the move and want to check your mails or do some presentations, I would suggest you go for one of these babies. I have them here in UAE so if you would like to see how exactly they work do let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhKrgM1 ... re=related a video showing what happens if you pour water on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkec9JY- ... re=related heres a drop test showing nothing happens to it even if you drop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Affc9NJR ... re=related a user who was able to do free hand sketching using the styrus.

There are many more applications and software for this including hand drawing building maps using the styrus in autocad. Even allows you to do hand write a email in outlook, insert a sim and send an email while travelling in a bus.

i wonder how much these babies cost??
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 25, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

PAE allows 32-bit Windows to access up to 4 GiB. Most users won't have a need for more than 2 GiB let alone 4 GiB.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 26, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:
PAE allows 32-bit Windows to access up to 4 GiB.

that is if supported and the board
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Mar 18, 2009
Why don't you try MacBook Pro? I think it is quite good. I think Macintosh operating system is better than Windows operating system. Macintosh operating system have a lot advantages, while it have all the Windows features and what i like the most is Macintosh = virus free. Try the new MacBook Pro.
dodot
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 18, 2009
Macbook pro's are cool, but 'OMG Virus' isn't the best reason to get one. I haven't had a virus for 5 years at least. Running XP SP2 with Avast antivirus (which is free) and firefox makes you safe as houses, and Vista is even more secure. If you update your OS, AV and browser often you have nothing to worry about.

Macs are good looking machines, but you pay a premium for the looks and the name.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk