Sri Lanka Cricket Team Attacked In Pakistan

Topic locked
Sri Lanka cricket team attacked in Pakistan Mar 03, 2009
http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Cricket/10291119.html

This is awful!!!!

Last updated: March 03, 2009, 13:12

Lahore: A dozen masked gunmen armed with rifles and rocket launchers attacked a vehicle carrying members of Sri Lanka's national cricket team in the east Pakistani city of Lahore on Tuesday, wounding several players and killing five police officers, officials said.

Lahore police chief Haji Habibur Rehman said 12 masked gunmen ambushed the convoy near the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, triggering a 15-minute gunbattle between them and police. None of the attackers were captured.

"It was a terrorist attack and the terrorists used rocket launchers, hand grenades and other weapons," Rehman said, adding that the police were hunting down the attackers who managed to flee. "Our police sacrificed their lives to protect the Sri Lankan team."

Authorities did not speculate on the identities of the attackers or their motives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chamara Ranavira, a spokesman for the Sri Lankan High Commission, said two players, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavitana, were being treated for injuries in hospital but were stable.

The Sri Lankan Cricket Board said Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Suranka Lakmal, captain Mahela Jayawardene and Chaminda Vaas had minor injuries.

Ranavira said assistant coach Paul Frabrace also sustained minor injuries."We are communicating with the Pakistan Cricket Board and the high commission has taken action to send the cricket team back home as soon as possible," Ranavira said.

Sri Lanka Sports Minister said he spoke to team officials on the phone and: "they are worried, very worried."

The uninjured players who were taking shelter in the stadium were flown out by a military helicopter.

The team is expected to fly out to Colombo directly later in the day. It was first thought that the team would transit through Abu Dhabi.

The International Cricket Council moved quickly to condemn the attack but refused to comment further.

TV footage showed gunmen with backpacks firing at the convoy as they retreated from the scene, several damaged vehicles and a lone, unexploded grenade lying on the ground.

Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene recalled the ordeal.

"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Jayawardene told Cricinfo. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace (a member of the support staff), but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."

His father told a local television station he was slightly wounded in the foot.

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has condemned the attack and called for the players to come home immediately.

In a statement on Tuesday, Rajapaksa called the attack cowardly. He ordered his foreign minister to immediately travel to Pakistan to help assist in the team's evacuation and ensure the players are safe and secure. Rajapaksa is currently on a visit to Nepal.

Military spokesman Brig. Udaya Nanayakkara says authorities do not believe the attack was carried out by the Tamil Tiger rebels.

Sri Lanka, which had been invited to Pakistan after India pulled out, immediately cancelled the rest of the tour.

Pakistan only invited the Sri Lanka team to tour after India's team pulled out with security concerns following the militant attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai in November.

Details of the injured:

Following is a list of the injured players with brief details of their injuries according to vice captain Kumar Sangakkara, who spoke to reporters by telephone from Lahore.

Mahela Jayawardena - cut to ankle, minor

Kumar Sangakkara - shrapnel cut to shoulder, minor

Ajantha Mendis - shrapnel wound to back, minor

Tharanga Paranavithana - shrapnel wound to his chest, minor, but taken to hospital.

Thilan Samaraweera - worst injured with what appeared to be a shrapnel wound to his leg. Taken to hospital, but not seriously wounded.

Paul Farbrace (assistant coach) - shrapnel wound to his arm, minor.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 03, 2009
Where’s that topic Busa started about the draconian aggressive nature of Pakistanis. :idea: :?:

They killed their ex-PM and coincidentally her father who was also PM, attempt slaughtering another country’s sports team, cause havoc through taking innocent lives and destroying public infrastructure in an “infidel nation” and are nuclear powered.

This truly is a treacherous situation for the rest of the world to be facing with a quagmire of a failed state.
:shock:

PS
My paki-lads kindly don't bother rebutting anything because the rest of the world does know that this is the norm rather than the exception when it comes to your general behavioural patterns as a nation.
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 03, 2009
I think that's the end of and international cricket in Pakistan for a few years - which in a perverse way is good for Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Sharjah as it's the obvious place for Pakistan to hold their "home" matches now.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 03, 2009
^Yeah the yahoo article on this stated that any further Cricket matches in pakiland have been indefinitely postponed.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 03, 2009
godsent wrote:Where’s that topic Busa started about the draconian aggressive nature of Pakistanis. :idea: :?:

They killed their ex-PM and coincidentally her father who was also PM, attempt slaughtering another country’s sports team, cause havoc through taking innocent lives and destroying public infrastructure in an “infidel nation” and are nuclear powered.

This truly is a treacherous situation for the rest of the world to be facing with a quagmire of a failed state.

PS
My paki-lads kindly don't bother rebutting anything because the rest of the world does know that this is the norm rather than the exception when it comes to your general behavioural patterns as a nation.

Considering the only people killed were actually Pakistanis who gave their lives to protect the team, your comment doesn't have much merit. They have some pretty screwed up situations there, but to say it's the 'norm' is just a gross exaggeration even for Pakistan. So speaking as part of "the rest of the world", I would like to say you are full of s.hit :)
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
sorry MC but you seem to give the impression thats its a normal occurance,i am racking my brains but i just cant recall the last time a cricket team was attacked by gun men
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
busa wrote:sorry MC but you seem to give the impression thats its a normal occurance,i am racking my brains but i just cant recall the last time a cricket team was attacked by gun men

Ummm read my comment again...Then read godsent's.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
Godsent and busa should be officially labelled RETARDED. You can rant on, however, for your info 5 Pakistani Policemen died and protected the Sri Lankan cricket team from greater disaster, when unknown terrorists attacked the bus/coach they were riding. The vast majority of Pakistanis
are absolutely horrified at the occurence, and have condemned it in the
strongest possible way. It was a most tragic incident, and anyone who
gloats in glee is, putting it midlly, an ass hole.
zonker
BANNED

Mar 03, 2009
Dear zonka,
You are a fool of the highest order,the plod who died doing there duty deserve the highest order of merit that mental country can give them,but the point is as it seems to me and i no doubt other people is why pakastani people seem to think that all of their problems can be fixed by an AK 47, i dont see anyone gloating.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
Beware Russian prostitute and Pakistani terrorists, especially taxi drivers, and you will be alive and healphy!

:D :D :D
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 03, 2009
But there are reports in the media, Al Jazeera and CNN, that suggests, that maybe the LTTE had a hand in these attacks.....
It does seem like as though, terrorist groups all over the world are joining hands irrespective of their agendas!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 03, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Beware Russian prostitute and Pakistani terrorists, especially taxi drivers, and you will be alive and healphy!

:D :D :D

Listen to the expert people. :wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 04, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:But there are reports in the media, Al Jazeera and CNN, that suggests, that maybe the LTTE had a hand in these attacks.....
It does seem like as though, terrorist groups all over the world are joining hands irrespective of their agendas!

Normally one would state that as geopolitical fantasyland gibberish because the LTTE and Taliban have two different goals and motives altogether.

But as we do know money makes the world go round, so we can easily come to a conclusion that there are armed gun men for hire in paki-land which is not beyond the realms of possibility. :idea:

RIP, Daniel Pearl, Benazir Bhutto and anyone who has been massacred by a prevalent lack of security due to constant in-fighting, a lack of prioritizing and sitting on a fence to pacify the fundamentalist zealots and at the same time taking in funds from good ol’ Uncle Sam.
:x
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
Aww man this is stupitidy of the highest order, I see no hope for this country, and just a few hours back when I was having dinner at a north Paki resturant ( pathan ) There was something on the news on TV regarding this in the background, something along the lines of the international backlash it might suffer due to this unfortunate event. I asked one of the waiters what do you think about this ?

His ignorant reply " We are not afraid of anything "doh! I woudn't be surprised if in the next 5 to 10 yrs Pakistan turned into another Taliban ruled Afghanistan.
desertdudeshj

Mar 04, 2009
^^^^^The Wheels are already moving towards that direction^^^^^

THE ‘TALIBANIZATION’ OF PAKISTAN’S BIGGEST CITY
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 69342.aspx

And yes it is a nuclear armed country folks :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS
There are many pakistani waiters on this forum too. Read above. They fear nothing except removing their head from their nether regions and seeing reality
:roll:
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
Well I can't help but feel a bit offended at remarks like these, hey after all I'm Pakistani too ( unfortunately ! ) But somehow I don't blame you guys for having such stereotypes and views.
desertdudeshj

Mar 04, 2009
^^^

You then, represent the level headed Pakistani folks who are a seemingly minority group. I think it's fantastic you don't have a chip on your shoulder and are not suffering from Humanity Immune dastards Virus

Sincerely, congrats mate :)
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
Well, thanks I guess....

I know what your talking about, I've seen many in real life aswell as here. Always beating their chests with "proud to be a Pakistani" while secretly hoping their Canadian immigration comes through as soon as possible. Willing to leave all their patriotism behind at the drop of a hat. LOL
desertdudeshj

Mar 04, 2009
^^^

Desert dude, be forewarned that there is a TARD anonymous clan of Rawalpindi on this forum who have rebutted all logical facts, beaten around the bush, and point fingers left right and everywhere except at paki-land when it comes to anyone highlighting the wrongs and inherent flaws in Paki-land and the general psyche of the sizeable population of its inhabitants. :shock:

You will be facing their onslaught with your sane outlook in life. :wink:
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
Well like I said I've met people like that in real life aswell, No matter what you say PAKISTAN is the best to them. You really can't blame them. They have not really lived much outside of Pakistan or bothered to explore anything non Pakistani. Even people who have lived here really havn't had much real interaction with other People and usually stick among their own kind.

On my last forced trip to pakistan way back in '97. I met many people of that kind there aswell you really can't blame them either. They live isolated from the rest of the world. The media there is also as much to blame as it is in the west for potraying all muslims as gun totting terrorist. Over there anything non pakistani is evil ! and everything pakistani is good !!

There was a riot on the streets resulting in damage and casualties, no mention of that on the evening news, but they did mention how one "Mujahideen" was killed in occupied ( ? ) kashmir :shock:

Now don't get me wrong. There are many who are well aware that we have a problem and it needs to be addressed, and just by chanting East or west pakistan is the best, it won't go away. Also there is the kind that admit "houston, we have a problem" but just don't like to admit it in front of foreigners. Something like what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

LOL @ the TURD Rawalpindi mafia, I say to them bring it on !

EDIT : Did you say TARD or TURD ?
desertdudeshj

Mar 04, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Well, thanks I guess....

I know what your talking about, I've seen many in real life aswell as here. Always beating their chests with "proud to be a Pakistani" while secretly hoping their Canadian immigration comes through as soon as possible. Willing to leave all their patriotism behind at the drop of a hat. LOL

Hilarious, but true. I know a turd-brain who grew up here, got canadian citizenship by living there for 3 years, and is now back here. Goes around claiming proud to be Pakistani among friends. But when even the McDonalds lady asks his nationality, he is suddenly "Canadian."
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 04, 2009
A terrible tragedy :(

It is completely unfair to blame all of Pakistan for this attack. Does Pakistan have a problem with terrorism - yes. Is all of Pakistan to blame - no. The government needs to take drastic action to address the problem of the terrorist groups.

Hmm, where are the forum trolls who were talking about how hypocritical it was for the Australian cricket team to stay home for fear of attack... guess they might have had a valid concern. :evil:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 04, 2009
godsent wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:But there are reports in the media, Al Jazeera and CNN, that suggests, that maybe the LTTE had a hand in these attacks.....

Normally one would state that as geopolitical fantasyland gibberish because the LTTE and Taliban have two different goals and motives altogether.

But as we do know money makes the world go round, so we can easily come to a conclusion that there are armed gun men for hire in paki-land which is not beyond the realms of possibility. :idea:

RIP, Daniel Pearl, Benazir Bhutto and anyone who has been massacred by a prevalent lack of security due to constant in-fighting, a lack of prioritizing and sitting on a fence to pacify the fundamentalist zealots and at the same time taking in funds from good ol’ Uncle Sam.
:x

Well for starters it has not been yet ascertained who's behind the attacks....and at this point there are lot of questions, unanswered.....Like y was the pakistani team spared?
Its highly probable that there could be some alignment of terrorist organizations...
Although, targetting a cricket team, that 2 sri lankan? what message does that send out?
Guesses any1?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2009
It's disturbing how some cultures take sports THAT seriously; riots in the streets, assassinating players, and now even the terrorists are at it.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 04, 2009
Kanelli, I appreciate your level headed and fair comments, like a breath of fresh air. GTmash, godsent, desertdudesh are a bunch of juvenile
delinquents, with a mental age of about twelve, and I am sure all of them are smelly Indians to boot. The Indian mentality is a hyena's mentality,
attacking only when someone is down, but show them even the slightest resistance and you get the hysterical shreiks that you see posted in here, which amounts to mostly gibberish and nonsense. I hope they continue in the same vein to amuse us all, and entertain us by stringing nonsensical sentences, that do not make any real sense, only exposes further thier mentally retarded status. Their place should have been in a lunatic
assylum, but they have landed to blemish the fair face of Dubai. Dubai deserves better.
zonker
BANNED

Mar 04, 2009
DUDE ! uh..If you bothered to read the last page of this thread you would know, as I've mentioned a few times in my posts that I'm Pakistani...

I might have the mental age of 12 but your reading ability is that of a 4 yr old :D
desertdudeshj

Mar 05, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:DUDE ! uh..If you bothered to read the last page of this thread you would know, as I've mentioned a few times in my posts that I'm Pakistani...

I might have the mental age of 12 but your reading ability is that of a 4 yr old :D

Hehe
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 05, 2009
wow indian secret service has done it again :D. wot is this a revenge for the mumbhai bombings? or maybe the indians werent really keen on pakis holding the world cup. oh well we will never know who did it. WHY? welcome to the real world ppl. stop wasting time accusing other ppl. it could have been anyone. the talibanis could have done it, the indian secret service could have done it and even the pakistan secret service could have done it to put the blame of it all on india.

bottom line is 5 to 6 Pakis died. those guys were ordinary and not so rich guys. sri lankana team is ok they could have died but THEY didnt. thank god for that.

who did all of this? if your name happens to be busa you will have your eyes closed and believe whatever the newspaper say. But if you KNOW the history of Pakistan and India, you will know who was behind all of this ;).

cheerio then.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2009
desert dude in sharjah....so you are the original desert dude then. An Indian that calls himself Pakistani, and then promptly bashes Pakistan in a most confused manner. I have known male Indians coming on line pretending to be females ; any way, to each his own.
I ascribe to what some great man once said "patriotism is the
last refuge of a scoundrel". I am no great patriot; I am a Canadian of Pakistani origin, but totally believe in Canadian values of equality and fair play; and religion is everyone's own private business. I love it here in
Canada, and I have free choice to go wherever I please; even the UAE.
And even though I am not a waiter, I would never look down on any
who likes to be one. I have lots of friends and family in Pakistan, and they are all horrified at the acts of terror and sabotage. I cannot defend the Pakistani government, but I sure can vouch for the goodness of these
people. I can also tell you that State sponsored acts of terror are comm-
itted in Kashmir, and other parts of India, as well as in Pakistan. The Indian propoganda machinery is hugely effective, as was Goebels in Hitlers Nazi Germany; and with over 1.2 billion Indians, scurrying all over
the world, I would doubt if Pakistan stands any chance of winning this
propoganda war.
zonker
BANNED

Mar 05, 2009
rudeboy wrote:wow indian secret service has done it again :D. wot is this a revenge for the mumbhai bombings? or maybe the indians werent really keen on pakis holding the world cup. oh well we will never know who did it. WHY? welcome to the real world ppl. stop wasting time accusing other ppl. it could have been anyone. the talibanis could have done it, the indian secret service could have done it and even the pakistan secret service could have done it to put the blame of it all on india.

bottom line is 5 to 6 Pakis died. those guys were ordinary and not so rich guys. sri lankana team is ok they could have died but THEY didnt. thank god for that.

who did all of this? if your name happens to be busa you will have your eyes closed and believe whatever the newspaper say. But if you KNOW the history of Pakistan and India, you will know who was behind all of this ;).

cheerio then.

agreed
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat