Villa Prices Fall By Up To 45%

Topic locked
Jan 22, 2009
Regarding the usefulness of domains as an investment. I noticed when I entered "dubai gold souks " and found that visit-dubaicouk site, that no gold souk shops were advertising on that site, even though it was at the top. With an expensive product like gold, you would think that the Dubai gold souk shops would want to sell to the world over the internet, especially with gold being in demand! Why aren't these souk shops advertising on web-sites like visit-dubaicouk ? They could sell loads of items on-line or merely advertise the business.

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 22, 2009
Sorry, I think I entered "dubai gold souk" , not the plural!!
Anyway, they [ gold souk shops ]are losing GLOBAL sales !
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
I have just spoken to a bank manager friend in the UK , who was in Dubai in December. He said that most projects were on stop. Was this permanent , due to difficulties ,or someting to do with Christmas holidays , in some cases?
He reckoned that thousands of Bangladeshi workers had been laid off. What's the full picture ? What projects are on hold due to economic reasons?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
Robby G,
You are in the Netherlands. What sort of work do you do ? Do you own properties in Dubai ?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
This thread sems to have gone quiet. What do you reckon of Dubai gold shops selling on the internet?
I realise the traders naturally haggle over a deal, whereas the internet is fixed price.
Unless you action something and set a lowest price on it.
Is there a good Dubai auction site on the net?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
Heard this morning that Palm Deira was on stop . True or not?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
My mate's son, who had a job in Dubai as a building surveyor last year , was sacked before Christmas. They cleared his desk, so he returned to Scotland
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
Re the gold, it was meant to be AUCTION something, NOT Action, although........ACTION , we need.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
Can you please stuff all your questions in one reply, cause this is pointless and I'm not going to reply every message. So summarize please!

Keep it clean. This topic is dwelling off point. Villa and home prices remember!
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 24, 2009
Robbie,
Actually, Robbie, I put several different short postings up, thinking that different people..not just yourself.....would want to reply to some of the different queries. They are all linked matters, because they all concern business in Dubai and various aspects of it. They are mostly linked to property prices , just like villas.
Note that I only put your name on one question, because I thought that several others might want to chip in.
Anyway, no matter!!
1] What line of work are you doing in the Netherlands , out of interest, or is that a secret?
2] Do you have property interests in Dubai , by any chance?
3] What projects are currently on stop in Dubai ? [I thought that residents would have a better idea of that!]
4]Is Palm Deira on stop , please?
5] I wonder why gold souk shops don't sell on that www.visit-dubai.co.uk site or on similar ? When I put "Dubai gold souk" into Google , the aforementiond site was near the top, so I had a look.
The Gold Souk could do tremendous business on the internet if they changed their ideas on haggling and embraced the internet.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 24, 2009
RedKite wrote:Heard this morning that Palm Deira was on stop . True or not?

True.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

True.

Yes, its been put on 'hold to allow the foundations to settle and bed in...'
Translation: We are skint and can't afford to pay the dredging company!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 24, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

True.

Yes, its been put on 'hold to allow the foundations to settle and bed in...'
Translation: We are skint and can't afford to pay the dredging company!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

the construction companies are asking for GOV support ! isn't it enough how much they profited in the last 7 years ? talk about greedy.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 24, 2009
The Govt wont support the Developers. What would be the point as there hardly anyone buying.
Besides which Dubai Inc is near on bankrupt.
arniegang

villa prices fall by 45% Jan 24, 2009
Biggest problem here is transparency and good reliable flow of information
to be a justifiable good, sound businessman and/or consumer.
For example the project Deira is on hold already for a while . At least since before
Christmas.
I am not blaming anybody here, but in the real world there shouldn t be so much guessing and speculation about important business information.
In the long run it will hurt the market, it will primarily attract speculators
or other short term thinking adventurous individuals.
Also real estate agencies and even banks located in the regions can not be fully trusted with their assessment of the market.
Use common sense and good connection to some decision makers in key positions to get good information.
I would venture to say in the fast moving, competitive world of today,
places without a top notch information infrastructure will be left behind
in the long run.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2009
I know a guy who works at Dutco as a manager for HVAC design and according to him, the situation isn't as bad as what everyone thinks it is.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2009
zzzane wrote:I know a guy who works at Dutco as a manager for HVAC design and according to him, the situation isn't as bad as what everyone thinks it is.

The guy you know probably works for BK Gulf, and if he is saying that then he is full of delusional crap.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 25, 2009
He works at Dutco Balfour Beatty..
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2009
zzzane wrote:He works at Dutco Balfour Beatty..

OK if you say so, however the HVAC is normally handled by BK Gulf, that's why I mentioned it
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 25, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

OK if you say so, however the HVAC is normally handled by BK Gulf, that's why I mentioned it

Well, that's what he told me. I couldn't care less about him really since he isn't my pub mate. :)
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 25, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

last i checked dutco and bk were involved in HVAC
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

last i checked dutco and bk were involved in HVAC

Thats great to know, thanks
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 25, 2009
WS Atkins sent 200 home !!
arniegang

Jan 26, 2009
arniegang wrote:WS Atkins sent 200 home !!

And at least they admitted it
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 26, 2009
They couldnt hide it as there were 200 Landcruisers left at the Airport.
arniegang

Jan 27, 2009
arniegang wrote:They couldnt hide it as there were 200 Landcruisers left at the Airport.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 27, 2009
Do you know that the ex editor / TV personality , Piers Morgan, has a high profile programme on Dubai .......called Piers Morgan on Dubai...on UK ITV on Thursday this week at 9pm.
He has a big 3 page article in The Mail on Sunday magazine on this 25/1/09.
He really talks the job up!! He quotes "Credit crunch? We never mention it !" He does not mention falling prices.
I reckon he was paid to do the programme and article. He spent time with Dr Sulaiman al Fahim , so a few UAE dinars might have come his way!! I read about him on www.visit-dubai.co.uk . He has a lot of developments , in Mexico , as well as the UAE.
He asks Dr al Fahim how much is invested totally in Dubai . The answer is " The last estimate was £300 BILLION [sterling]
The article is very up-beat. So will the programme, I feel. Whether it is the WHOLE TRUTH , is another matter!! I look forward to seeing it.
Morgan says that two Londoners , Safi Qurashi and Mustapha Nagri ,
have invested in the island called England, in The World Islands.
He says " Safi left Britain 4 years ago having LOST EVERYTHING in a failed internet company. Now, thanks to a series of SHREWD PROPERTY DEALS, he IS IN A POSITION TO PAY £43 MILLION for what amounts to a lot of sand in the middle of nowhere".

Well , that does not ring true. If you are bust one day , you are not worth £43 million 4 years later....even in Dubai !! He wants to build
"100 luxury villas" on the island. all with a "very English feel" which HE BELIEVES COULD EVENTUALLY GENERATE TENS OF MILLIONS OF POUNDS IN PROFIT!!
Well! Good luck to him......but the logistics of building 100 villas on a bare sand island , well out to sea , are bad enough!! Very costly!!
That story does not look too good in this financial climate.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 28, 2009
What's occurring ?
Can you get ITV in Dubai ? Will they broadcast Piers Morgan's programme on your UAE channels, I wonder?

He will be very bullish about Dubai this Thursday. I wonder how Safi and Mustapha are faring now?
I like entrepreneurs, but how do yo go bust one minute ........and have a £43 million business 4 years later?
I'd love to see all their books!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 28, 2009
Arniegang
You say Dubai inc is near on bankrupt. Is it that bad ?
Sheikh Mo is very wealthy , is he not?
Besides, Abu Dhabi has BIG money , so they surely won't let Dubai get into trouble?

The problem is getting CUSTOMERS from the west to buy all the expensive property. The west is suffering job losses daily. Getting tourists in is going to be a major problem too. Dubailand will need millions of kids and flights are long and expensive. If India were to get richer, a lot would come from there. The USA is a LONG way from Dubai. Yanks will go to Disney instead.

One surprising fact I learnt from www.visit-dubai.co.uk , is the Visitor profile. On the bottom left hand column , you click the bottom one. It says that 27 per cent of Dubai visitors come from RUSSIA !?

You reckon that's true? The rest of Europe COMBINED is only 7 pc, including UK, Germany, France, Italy.....the lot!
Does not seem accurate, that? What is the true breakdown of visitor sources to Dubai?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 28, 2009
Just checked . The 27pc from Russia is on "World visitors to Dubai" on www.visit-dubai.co.uk

That means 1 in 4 of ALL Dubai visitors comes from Russia ! Can that be true? How many roubles are they spending in Dubai?

It must be HEAVEN if you come from parts of Russia to Dubai !
I hate extreme cold !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat