HELP; Victim Of Black Points System

Topic locked
Jan 13, 2009
Ok, Arniegang,

If you came back without residancy, you can use either the UAE one of the UK one.

If you came on Residancy visa, they "by law" you should use the UAE one.

Back to my problem,
I have checked today and now i got 3 tickets, last one was sunday when i posted and knew about this issue.

The 3 fines are in the morning going to work in Umm Suqqim road, which is the one between Al Khail road and Emirates road that connects them on the Arabian ranches octupus flyover.
It turned out that this road speed is 80kph and i may have been doing 140 thinking it is 120kph road. and as the new radars doesn't flash in the morning, i only knew about it after 2 weeks when i did all the 3 offences.

I'll go there and check if there is a sign saying it is 80 or not, and then will go to the traffic department on Saturday if i got contacts or not and try my best with the chief.

wish me luck

Guiltydriver
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 13, 2009
^ As far as I know (from a fellow canadian friend), walk into a police station and they give you some paper work to fill out and then Voila! --> This was a couple years back, may have changed.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jan 13, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
arniegang wrote:just a thought

If for example this was me. I have 2 driving licences, one UAE and my English one.

So, if i were to have my UAE licence confiscated, in theory what would stop me having a rental car using my UK licence like any other tourist??

I would be interested to know how you got a UAE one.

dohh is this a serious question Sage ?

I had a 3 year investors Visa, that entitled me to the same benefits as every other expat.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 13, 2009
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

If for example this was me. I have 2 driving licences, one UAE and my English one.

So, if i were to have my UAE licence confiscated, in theory what would stop me having a rental car using my UK licence like any other tourist??

I had a 3 year investors Visa, that entitled me to the same benefits as every other expat.

Sorry m8 I had forgoten that, anyways if you are no longer holding that visa you do realise that it is actually illegal to drive here with the domestic licence
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 13, 2009
I got fine for jumping red signal yesterday and the police was not on the spot.While checking today online, noticed that only the fine amount is mentioned and no black points.Does it mean am not awarded any black point?
Plus the vehicle will be impounded for 15 days.Should i go to the traffic department and to hand over them my car for 15 days? or they will take it at the time of renewal? And what is the time limit for paying the fines? Is there any penalty if pay after due date?
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 13, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Sorry m8 I had forgoten that, anyways if you are no longer holding that visa you do realise that it is actually illegal to drive here with the domestic licence

Yea i know mate, thats why im gonna hire a car using my UK licence.
arniegang

Jan 14, 2009
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Yea i know mate, thats why im gonna hire a car using my UK licence.

Good stuff m8
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 14, 2009
You can actually come here with your UK licence and then pay 100Dhs and get a temporary UAE one. Its valid for 30 days and allows you to drive UAE privately owned vehicles on a Visit Visa.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 14, 2009
freeneasy1 wrote:I got fine for jumping red signal yesterday and the police was not on the spot.While checking today online, noticed that only the fine amount is mentioned and no black points.Does it mean am not awarded any black point?
Plus the vehicle will be impounded for 15 days.Should i go to the traffic department and to hand over them my car for 15 days? or they will take it at the time of renewal? And what is the time limit for paying the fines? Is there any penalty if pay after due date?

Please anybody can help me?
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 14, 2009
freeneasy1 wrote:
freeneasy1 wrote:I got fine for jumping red signal yesterday and the police was not on the spot.While checking today online, noticed that only the fine amount is mentioned and no black points.Does it mean am not awarded any black point?

Go to the Police station and face the music, keep a sharp eye out for traffic lights on the way. BTW red = STOP
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 14, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:You can actually come here with your UK licence and then pay 100Dhs and get a temporary UAE one. Its valid for 30 days and allows you to drive UAE privately owned vehicles on a Visit Visa.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

and dont forget i know the Reg no of Jeepy

I will be watching you

:P
arniegang

Jan 14, 2009
arniegang wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:You can actually come here with your UK licence and then pay 100Dhs and get a temporary UAE one. Its valid for 30 days and allows you to drive UAE privately owned vehicles on a Visit Visa.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

and dont forget i know the Reg no of Jeepy

I will be watching you

:P

Didn't you know I bought license plate No.1?

There was this rather sad and hang-dog looking local dude with a beard sitting by the kerb in Madinat with a begging bowl in his hand and I took it off him for 5Dhs. Had to unscrew it from a nice white Mercedes G-Wagon just before the Bailiff winched it on the back of the recovery truck...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 14, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
freeneasy1 wrote:

Go to the Police station and face the music, keep a sharp eye out for traffic lights on the way. BTW red = STOP

:cry: When i should visit the police station?Can i go while renewing the registration which is due in June-2009 or i need to hand over the car immediately?
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 14, 2009
immediately.. although you will be left with no car then!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 14, 2009
ahamed wrote:immediately.. although you will be left with no car then!

Ahamed u've enough informations,tell me if i can pay the fine later or it should be deposited while handing over the Car? And the car is not registered on my name, so who will get the black points, me or the owner?
And which police station i must visit or i can go to anyone near around me?
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 14, 2009
freeneasy1 wrote:
ahamed wrote:immediately.. although you will be left with no car then!

Ahamed u've enough informations,tell me if i can pay the fine later or it should be deposited while handing over the Car? And the car is not registered on my name, so who will get the black points, me or the owner?
And which police station i must visit or i can go to anyone near around me?

You will have to pay the fine immediately and hand over the car, the black points will be on your licence if you admit to the offense.

Traffic Police in Al Quoz just after Interchange 4 on right side.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 14, 2009
as sage said!

Now, Dont wait until the expiry of the registration. If Bur Dubai Traffic dept is not an option, then Deira Traffic department, opposite to Airport Terminal 2 (towards the ramada hotel) would be the place to go.

How do you know that your car is to be confiscated. Is it highlighted in red when you check the fine online?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 15, 2009
ahamed wrote:as sage said!

Now, Dont wait until the expiry of the registration. If Bur Dubai Traffic dept is not an option, then Deira Traffic department, opposite to Airport Terminal 2 (towards the ramada hotel) would be the place to go.

How do you know that your car is to be confiscated. Is it highlighted in red when you check the fine online?

Yes its highlighted in Red and stated that vehicle wanted for impounding.I am very much worried.Its a very bad start of new year. :cry:
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 15, 2009
freeneasy1 wrote:
ahamed wrote:as sage said!

Yes its highlighted in Red and stated that vehicle wanted for impounding.I am very much worried.Its a very bad start of new year. :cry:

The quicker you get it over with the better, if you are stopped by the police for a simple check they can create a problem for you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 15, 2009
freeneasy,

don't worry about it. just surrender the car to the impound when you renew your registration, and maybe book your annual holiday out of dubai to begin a couple of days later.

my car was due to be impounded for 7 days, and someone drove into the back of me a month or two later, then a few months after that i nudged someone at 5mph at traffic lights. both times the police were called, and nothing was said.

i was also pulled over at a random road block / check point en-route to hatta one day and no issues.

then when i went to renew registration they took the car off me.

but yeh, red traffic lights aren't lights you want to be jumping in Dubai.
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
by the way, did someone say you can buy out your confiscation days now?

for something like 100dhs per day, so if car is due to be impounded for 5 days you pay them 500dhs and don't need to bother with them impounding your car?

is that fact, or just hearsay?
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
not a hear say, its a fact.

Recently, got a car back after paying 1510 (2 weeks actually)
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 15, 2009
funkygibbon wrote:freeneasy,

don't worry about it. just surrender the car to the impound when you renew your registration, and maybe book your annual holiday out of dubai to begin a couple of days later.

my car was due to be impounded for 7 days, and someone drove into the back of me a month or two later, then a few months after that i nudged someone at 5mph at traffic lights. both times the police were called, and nothing was said.

i was also pulled over at a random road block / check point en-route to hatta one day and no issues.

then when i went to renew registration they took the car off me.

but yeh, red traffic lights aren't lights you want to be jumping in Dubai.

m very ashamed of jumping the red light, i still wonder how could i do that.
I dont want to hand over my car right now coz i need it for next couple of weeks.Thank you Funky for sharing ur experience and others for their suggestions.What bout the black points? It will be given when i surrender the car or its already awarded and counted on my license?
freeneasy1
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 15, 2009
Search using your lisence number, car owners's lisence number & car number plate @ www.dubaitraffic.com
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 16, 2009
ahamed wrote:not a hear say, its a fact.

I really have to know where and when you are on the road :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 16, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

I really have to know where and when you are on the road :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why sage?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2009
ahamed wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Why sage?

Judging by the amount of money you pay in fines and to get your car back you must be driving very fast when you shoot dem red lights :!: :lol: :!: :lol: :!: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 17, 2009
how does the black points thing work exactly??

i mostly drive cars which are not registered under my name. so if i get a speeding ticket do i get the black point or does the person whose name the car is registered under. plz explain?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 17, 2009
Judging by the amount of money you pay in fines and to get your car back you must be driving very fast when you shoot dem red lights

Nah, i dont drive fast these days.. nah..not at all .. am done with my road rash / road rage.. am sick..believe me ..

my car was only confiscated couple of times for carrying out un authorized modifications. And yeah i have paid a plenty of fines.. sheesh .. i feel ashamed of myself..

thanks sage, for bring that human in me to realization.. :shock:

@rude .. the person under whose name the car is registered gets the black point.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2009
ahamed wrote:

@rude .. the person under whose name the car is registered gets the black point.

cool am in the safe then :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat