HELP; Victim Of Black Points System

Topic locked
Jan 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:But the best bit - oh this is great. Before I gave my car for impounding, I was out shopping for shoes, ended up buying a new car, instead of shoes, it's a woman thing - don't ask!

So when I went to get the new car, the sales people took my old car, dropped it off at the pound, then registered the new car and tadaaaaa not without a car!

THen I sold my old car to a friend.

But surely with 24 black points you have a 6 months ban????????

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 11, 2009
I don't have ANY black points surprisingly enough. Not according to the website anyway.

Just checked under my licence number as well as the car, nope no black points.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I don't have ANY black points surprisingly enough. Not according to the website anyway.

Just checked under my licence number as well as the car, nope no black points.

Lucky you
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 11, 2009
it happened with someone I know with a similar issue... two tickets, 24 blackpoints... car got impounded and his driving licensee for one year!!!!..

well, he was one of those very first victims of this system after 3 days of it being enforced...

you may get lucky if you go and try speaking to them... sometimes they do indeed give away exceptions.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
quatroporte wrote:it happened with someone I know with a similar issue... two tickets, 24 blackpoints... car got impounded and his driving licensee for one year!!!!..

well, he was one of those very first victims of this system after 3 days of it being enforced...

you may get lucky if you go and try speaking to them... sometimes they do indeed give away exceptions.

thats when they are in a good mood! + you need to look either a sad soul, or someone with high profile to convince them that you dint do it intentionally. Seriously, they are so moody..
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
well, this what i'll try to do.

these new radars are really ..... grr... no i should blame myself.

what i hate is after few years in dubai with nearly clean record except couple of radars, just in one week i get these 2 radars on the very high end. damn... i hate traveling outside dubai "it was emirates road"

anyway, will keep you guys updated.

drive safe all, and if you bumped by someone who knows someone who knows someone in the traffic department and can help, i'll really appreciate it.

cheers all
Guiltydriver
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 12, 2009
guilty,

just a piece of advice, invest in a radar detector and be on the safe side!
i will try to get hold of the guy who accompanied me to deira muroor many times to get my car bailed out.

best of luck
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
Well to be hones, just use your cruise control. You know very well that radars in a 120km zone are set at 140km, so obviously if you go over that then you're going to get busted.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 12, 2009
I had a fender bender in Sharjah a few weeks ago where I was at fault. When I check Dubai Police's website, its highlighted in red. It doesn't show any points or the amount just says can't be paid online. What does it mean?What will happen if I go to the poilice station. Do I have to go Sharjah Police?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 12, 2009
K-Dog wrote:I had a fender bender in Sharjah a few weeks ago where I was at fault. When I check Dubai Police's website, its highlighted in red. It doesn't show any points or the amount just says can't be paid online. What does it mean?What will happen if I go to the poilice station. Do I have to go Sharjah Police?

The red highlight means your car has to be impounded or is rather blocked in their system.

If you were issued a fine from sharjah, you will have to visit the sharjah traffic dept. You can pay the fine in dubai or sharjah. Not sure if they will impound your vehicle in sharjah or dubai. But believe me, Dubai is much better!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
Impound it for a minor fender bender? Come on, are you serious? It was a rental vehicle to begin with.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 12, 2009
K-Dog wrote:Impound it for a minor fender bender? Come on, are you serious? It was a rental vehicle to begin with.

RED HIGHLIGHT means your vehicle is blocked in their system. You cannot renew the registration, transfer the vehicle's ownership etc..

a Probability that it might be a case of confiscation, which was in my case (the red highlight with a fine of 110AED)

Why dont you call the traffic dept & inquire about this? Or just pass by the traffic dept.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with cars that are overdue registration?

say, for example, if someone had not yet re-registered their car and got some form of ticket, is there any specific punishment for driving an unregistered (and therefore un-insured car) or would you just pay the fine associate with the ticket you got?

there is a guy in the office who drove his car for months unregistered / uninsured then when he went to renew registration no questions were asked.

my car is up for re-registering this week but if i didn't bother, would i get into any trouble from the police?
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 12, 2009
funkygibbon wrote:hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with cars that are overdue registration?

say, for example, if someone had not yet re-registered their car and got some form of ticket, is there any specific punishment for driving an unregistered (and therefore un-insured car) or would you just pay the fine associate with the ticket you got?

there is a guy in the office who drove his car for months unregistered / uninsured then when he went to renew registration no questions were asked.

my car is up for re-registering this week but if i didn't bother, would i get into any trouble from the police?

Even if your registration expired, you have a months grace period, hence the insurance being for 13 months.

If you register your car after 1 months grace period, you will be paying the late renewal fee.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
funkygibbon wrote:hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with cars that are overdue registration?

when you say he was driving the car UN-Registered do you mean he was driving the car without plate numbers?!?!?!?!? :shock:

in the case of re-registration, I drove my car for 3 years without re-registration since I bought it brand new... the reason was the car is registered under my dad's name (to save insurance) however, he got into a law suite against his sponsor which took more than three years in courts and since then I could never re-register my car.

police used to stop me many many times, and they always used to give me a 150AED fine or let me go when I tell them the story!!! :roll:

if for some reason you can't re-register your car, make sure it has a valid insurance...

its a suicide to drive a car without insurance
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
its a suicide to drive a car without insurance

You said it !
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
but surely if you've not registered your car you can't insure it?
funkygibbon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 12, 2009
i've got a fine yesterday from shj traffic police against a minor accident.Today i checked it on the dubaipolice website and its highlighted in Red saying i cant pay it and need to contact the traffic department.I got fine on my driving license.
Is this a serious situation for me?
ahmeed80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009
ahmeed80 wrote:i've got a fine yesterday from shj traffic police against a minor accident.Today i checked it on the dubaipolice website and its highlighted in Red saying i cant pay it and need to contact the traffic department.I got fine on my driving license.
Is this a serious situation for me?

It's not serious you just have to go and pay it, it seems they also now give some black points if your involved in an accident and it is judged to be your fault. You must accumalate 24 black points for a ban.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 12, 2009
just a thought

If for example this was me. I have 2 driving licences, one UAE and my English one.

So, if i were to have my UAE licence confiscated, in theory what would stop me having a rental car using my UK licence like any other tourist??
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 12, 2009
funkygibbon wrote:but surely if you've not registered your car you can't insure it?

you can insure your car for as many years without having the registration renewed...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
ahmeed80 wrote:i've got a fine yesterday from shj traffic police against a minor accident.

You have to pay during 30 days, then penalty for each another month. The problem for me was that I had to go to the SHJ central road police station (Al Maroor? It's rather far away... ) and waste an hour in line together with dirty Hurry's friends after the similar case.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 12, 2009
quatroporte wrote:
funkygibbon wrote:but surely if you've not registered your car you can't insure it?

you can insure your car for as many years without having the registration renewed...

Hey i dint know that.. can you do it with the local insurance companies like al sagr or buheira insurance?? any idea?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
arniegang wrote:just a thought

If for example this was me. I have 2 driving licences, one UAE and my English one.

So, if i were to have my UAE licence confiscated, in theory what would stop me having a rental car using my UK licence like any other tourist??

Well if you are on a tourist visa & have your UK Lisence with you and all the paper work is valid to consider it IDL, then you may :)

I doubt if this is a possibility with someone holding dual driving lisence & if having a residence/employment visa
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
ahamed wrote:

Well if you are on a tourist visa & have your UK Lisence with you and all the paper work is valid to consider it IDL, then you may :)

I doubt if this is a possibility with someone holding dual driving lisence & if having a residence/employment visa

I sorta agree mate but.................. when you are pulled or checked the police never ask for a passport let alone checking your visa.

Also if you had a speeding fine in a hire car, the fine goes too the rental company and they would ask you to pay the fine.
arniegang

Jan 12, 2009
Also if you had a speeding fine in a hire car, the fine goes too the rental company and they would ask you to pay the fine

Thats very right.

i was stating about the Dual Lisence issue, incase you got pulled over for a traffic offense, [hard-shoulder, wrong line changing etc] rather than a radar, which obviously goes to on the car.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 12, 2009
arniegang wrote:I sorta agree mate but.................. when you are pulled or checked the police never ask for a passport let alone checking your visa.

But rental company always does. They won't give you a car with resident visa in your passport and national lisense...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 12, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
arniegang wrote:I sorta agree mate but.................. when you are pulled or checked the police never ask for a passport let alone checking your visa.

But rental company always does. They won't give you a car with resident visa in your passport and national lisense...

I have rented a car many times with residency

a/ they only want a copy of the back page showing picture and passport number ( my residency stamp is in the middle of my passport)

and

b/they only require a copy of the card licence in my case UK

When the police pull you over and i have been once, the police only asked for my licence and insurance.

If i were in a hire car he would ask for my licence - a UK one and a copy of the rental agreement. Police do not ask for passorts for minor motoring offences.

Ok so here is my current situation. My residency visa expired in Sept 2008 and i have not re-newed it. My UAE driving licence expires in another 7 years. I sold my car last month.

When i return to dubai in March and i need to hire a car, which driving licence do i produce my UAE one or my UK one ????
arniegang

Jan 12, 2009
if returning on a residency/employement visa, i say UAE License
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 13, 2009

I would be interested to know how you got a UAE one.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat