Any Slingbox Users Out There?

Topic locked
Any Slingbox users out there? Jan 12, 2006
I'm moving to Dubai in March 2006 from the US and was thinking of buying a Slingbox so I can watch US tv programming. I wanted to know if anyone here has been able to successfully use the Slingbox in Dubai? Any special issues or considerations?

Thanks.

abcd
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 12, 2006
What is a slingbox lol??
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 12, 2006
Dude ...... let go... lol.

The luxuries you'll experience here will make you forget anything you used to do in the US (like sitting with a beer before a TV set).

No pun intended :P
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 12, 2006
Someone always has to take a pot shot at the American, eh Linda?

abcd, despite any stereotypes others might have, I doubt you spend your life on the sofa with a beer in hand. There is American programing here (Showtime, TVLand, CNN etc.), including sports like football, so you don't have to worry. There are monopolies here for Internet and Cable and Satellite TV, so you have to use the services here - not bring boxes or devices from the US.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 12, 2006
I'm sure Linda didn't mean it as a pot shot, probably just some "friendly fire" :D
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 12, 2006
kanelli wrote:Someone always has to take a pot shot at the American, eh Linda?

The majority of us just ignore her Kanelli , she has a sorta "anti westerner sorta chip problem" besides which on looking at the time logs on her post,s she seems to spend the majority of her spare time on the PC :lol: :lol
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 12, 2006
thanks for the info kanelli.
abcd
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 15, 2006
No pot shot whatsoever :)

It just seemed almost funny to me. I mean wanting to do the things you did home is fine.

But I imagined myself starting a thread:-

Hello I'm Dutch, I just moved to Dubai, can anyone tell me where the DUtch hang out? How to get DUtch Tv channels, Dutch food, Dutch beer, Dutch magazines,and Dutch stuff generally? And an accomodation where a lot of Dutch people live, and where I can be at work -where dutch people work- ASAP and back, also where dutch football (Soccer) league fans gather?

I would imagine that someone would reply : "Yeah, you can find that in HOLLAND!!"

Was just an attempt at light-hearted humour, my advice was for abcd to venture out and discover new things :)

It might as well have been a Dutchman or an Englishman, or a German.

Unfortunate to see some just waiting for a chance at a personal attack. Too many clowns, not enough circuses :)
Linda_Stuiv
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 15, 2006
I'm sure you didn't mean it in that respect. But as you've seen from other threads, people can be edgy around here and take things personally. Sometimes the best thing to do is not to say anything at all particularly if it's a comment that can be taken the wrong way.

Restraint is a good thing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 15, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
Restraint is a good thing.

Just like opening a new box of chocolates and only saying you will have one? hahahahahahahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum