Dubai GPS/ Garmin Questions

Topic locked
Dubai GPS/ Garmin questions Oct 10, 2008
Hello,

Since Driving in Dubai is already bad enough and my husband and I got totally lost today I am planning to buy a navigation system. Here a few questions, maybe you know the answer to some or even better, all of them.

How does the GPS work without street names and constantly changing roads? How do you put in your destination without any address?

Are hotels, restaurants, super markets, buildings, malls on it saved by name?

If you have it, does it help you personally?

Which system do you have?

Do you have the Garmin 710 or 5000 and what is your personal experience with it?

Where did you buy your GPS and how much did you pay for it?

My husband does not want to buy it yet, since we are still renting cars and are planning to buy one soon, and he does not want to have it double in case there is already a navi in the car. How likely would that be? (We are probably going to buy a slightly used one.)

Thanks for your help guys.

alexalexa
Dubai Forum User

Oct 10, 2008
Hi, kindly find the answer of each of ur questions below:

How does the GPS work without street names and constantly changing roads? How do you put in your destination without any address?

GPS has street names, but that doesn't help much in Dubai... not because of road constructions but cuz people merely use landmarks to locate a place rather than a street name. There is a categorized database of "points of interest" that you can search by category (dining, lodging, petrol stations, ...) and also you can search by name.

Are hotels, restaurants, super markets, buildings, malls on it saved by name?

Yes, but not all of them. Though you can save your own locations (in the device favorites) and drive to it later on.

If you have it, does it help you personally?

Definitely. In Dubai and given the constant annoying detours and road constructions at least when you save a destination you will reach it "eventually" :)

Which system do you have?

Garmin nuvi 710 with preloaded GCC map. You can find many Garmin models with different specs/prices but you need to buy one with GCC map on it.
You can also take a look at the website: gpsuae

Do you have the Garmin 710 or 5000 and what is your personal experience with it?

710 is a sweetheart :)

Where did you buy your GPS and how much did you pay for it?

Carrefour, around 1900 dh (6 months ago)
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2008
wow, that's a great answer, thank you :D

I hope for many more. maybe a stupid question, but I assume that the gps "talks", right? I want one that tells me "in 100 meters you have to turn right"
alexalexa
Dubai Forum User

Oct 10, 2008
I also have the Garmin 710... Bought it for my mum to use as I prefer to find places myself. As for price well I paid £175 which around 1200+ dirhams I guess. GPS devices are a rip off in dubai..

As for changing/new roads in Dubai, all you have to do is update your map via Garmin. The great thing about the garmin 710 is the fact that when you drive into an area/road which is not on the map it will plot out the road as you drive and that will be a permenant addition to the map.. This can prove very useful, if you were to save a location as a favourite in an unknown area, the device will navigate you there no problem.

Yes the 710 has voice guidance, which can be muted because to be honest that damn womans voice is annoying lol. Different voices are available in different languages and you can also customise it and put your own voice in there.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 10, 2008
Are you guys serious?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 10, 2008
Oh yes, all this technology exists!

Arnie has one too...but he still gets lost finding his way to the bathroom!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 10, 2008
Waqsy wrote: The great thing about the garmin 710 is the fact that when you drive into an area/road which is not on the map it will plot out the road as you drive and that will be a permenant addition to the map.. This can prove very useful, if you were to save a location as a favourite in an unknown area, the device will navigate you there no problem.

By the way it plots out whatever path u drove in. For example after widenting Garhoud bridge it sees I'm driving on water :). But the catch is, it cannot calculate a destination in an "unknown" area unless the road is already on the map. But u'll still see the blue line indicating u drove here before and that could be a markup...

Also as far as I checked, the last GCC map available for Garmin is the 2006 update, or did they post a new one?
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2008
alexalexa wrote:wow, that's a great answer, thank you :D

I hope for many more. maybe a stupid question, but I assume that the gps "talks", right? I want one that tells me "in 100 meters you have to turn right"

Ur most welcome. Hope things are clear now...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 10, 2008
Yep i got one and its brill, well sort of :?

I have 2 rules for GPS guidance

1/ whatever it says, ignore it and phone DK or Sage for confirmation

2/ never loose sight of the Bur Arab

oh and 3.

always follow your breadcrumbs even though DK gives instructions to the contrary when he's asleep in the car

:lol:
arniegang

Oct 10, 2008
come on ladies...are you serious???

gps in a state only 10 miles long???

are you for real, or should i reconsider giving away my garmin?

i was put off by the purchase price of the UAE map...and constantly changing road network...
greatexpectations
Dubai Forum User

Oct 10, 2008
GPS really helps, especially on the new people who are coming here in Dubai. Every week RTA is making road diversion, so if I where them why not purchased a GPS it will solve your headache. And beside even if you are outside of Middle East I think you can still use it, all you need to do is upload the latest map available on the site.

Word of advised? Don't by MAPS it will surely confused you.
SicnarFranciS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 10, 2008
bedro wrote:
Waqsy wrote: The great thing about the garmin 710 is the fact that when you drive into an area/road which is not on the map it will plot out the road as you drive and that will be a permenant addition to the map.. This can prove very useful, if you were to save a location as a favourite in an unknown area, the device will navigate you there no problem.

By the way it plots out whatever path u drove in. For example after widenting Garhoud bridge it sees I'm driving on water :). But the catch is, it cannot calculate a destination in an "unknown" area unless the road is already on the map. But u'll still see the blue line indicating u drove here before and that could be a markup...

Also as far as I checked, the last GCC map available for Garmin is the 2006 update, or did they post a new one?

I've got the 2008 Map.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 11, 2008
Waqsy wrote:
bedro wrote:

I've got the 2008 Map.

Its out of date already!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 12, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Oh yes, all this technology exists!

Arnie has one too...but he still gets lost finding his way to the bathroom!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

Hahahaha, and that one I have to believe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 12, 2008
its true

:oops:
arniegang

Oct 12, 2008
i saw several GPS in dragonmart...are they cheaper? are those reliable?
dunebasher
Dubai Forum User

Oct 12, 2008
dunebasher wrote:i saw several GPS in dragonmart...are they cheaper? are those reliable?

Yeah they are cheaper, but they have names like 'Garming' and 'Mingellan' and are all programmed in Chinese and last just until you get out of the car park.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 12, 2008
thanks...
dunebasher
Dubai Forum User

Oct 14, 2008
If you think you may need a mobile, I'd say go ahead and buy one of the new Nokia N series phones. I use the N95 8GB. The GPS works like a miracle. The maps are not as accurate and have far less POIs as compared to the traditional GPS cos.

Given that you'd also be using it as a mobile, its a better option.
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 15, 2008
^I also have a N95 8gb and use garmin software on that too. Lets be frank, the Nokia provided software is SH1t
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat