Job Offer In Dubai

Topic locked
Job offer in Dubai Sep 07, 2008
Hi everyone

I have been offered a job in Dubai. I am in my late 20's, from EU country and single guy.
I'm interested in meeting new people and would like to also experience the things that Dubai has to offer, like trips,clubbing, ... but all that mostly during the weekends. Not my intent to spend money like crazy and I'm not into a designer clothes, will try to save some money also.

I was in Dubai for a week already.

The location of the company offices is Dubai Silicon oasis.

I have been offered base monthly salary of 14,300 Dhs + allowances, which are:
accomodation allowance 77000 per year
transportation allowance 715 per month
paid health insurance
Annual airticket allowance
Relocation allowance 5000 one time

My rough calculations are that I would apox have additional expenses of a single person with:
DEWA 350
groceries 1200
internet 700
other ???
+ taxi expenses in first few months to get used to the roads and driving,and then I would rent a car or buy a used one. Please add how much expenses would I have with that.

I'd like to live as close as possible to my office location to avoid daily traffic.
What are the good locations nearby to search for an 1 bedroom apartment or a studio flat? I've heard of arabian ranches are nice, and not so nice inter.city is also close, your opinions please.

Thanks in advance for your help

regards

majolo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 08, 2008
I am not the most up to date with the rental market, but in my opinion your budget would only get you a studio in International City or a small 1-bedroom. You can forget about Arabian Ranges with that allowance... however sharing may be an option for you.

Re your budget:
DEWA - about right
Groceries - about right
Internet / TV - around Dhs400-500
Eating out / entertainment - depends on your lifestyel but can be expensive in Dubai
Taxi - again depends on where you are staying and destination. Renting a car is probably more sensible and buying a car would be even more economical. However you cannot get a car loan until you have worked here for at least 3 months so suggest you rent initially (Taxis are unreliable).
Rough guide on car rentals/mth:
Lancer / Yaris - Dhs1600-1800
Ford Focus - Dhs 2000-2200
Honda Civic - Dhs2600-2800
Accord - Dhs3200+

Good luck
shaq
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 08, 2008
Thanks for info.
Yes, I know now that Arabian ranches are not for my budget, and there are only villas, I think studio in int. city will be just fine for me, cause it will be quite close from office.
Are there any western people living in international city, cause I've heard no so many?

Regards
majolo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 09, 2008
I don't think you'll be able to find a whole lot of Westerners in Int City. Your other option would be to spend a litte more (about 80-85k) for a studio in Dubai Marina where you will see a lot of Westerners but it will be far from your work. So its a question of preference where you want to live and how far your willing to commute. I would live closer to work if I was given a choice, traffic is horrendous in Dubai.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 09, 2008
There are places to rent now actually in Silicon Oasis, but pretty expensive. Marina is sooooo far away.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 14, 2008
If you want to live close to work then an apartment in DSO is a good choice, but like C says, you're a long way from anything else. Int City not much better. My choice would be throw in a few extra dhs yourself and find a studio in Dubai Marina.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 16, 2008
Anyone knows how much McDonald's pay per hour in Dubai?
MaggieLam
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 16, 2008
What is this obsession with the Marina? Hello DSO and International City close to Mirdiff - full of westerners. In fact why not move there?

Close to Festival City.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 16, 2008
Hi Majolo, that salary is not good enough. if you're from the EU, definitely not. I think the company you intend to join is trying to swindle you.....way underpaid dude.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2008
er dude, depends what the job is. Many people from the EU don't even get paid that much.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 25, 2008
Dubai may be good, but mostly new comers have problems settling into the routine out of weekend.

If you are ready for the weekend, you must be ready for the week work.
dubaihotels
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 26, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:What is this obsession with the Marina?

I like it because it's close to the sea and more developed than DSO or IC, and IC smells.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum