Facebook Blocked In The UAE

Topic locked
Facebook blocked in the UAE Feb 03, 2008
Update: This looks like it was a false alarm. Facebook was blocked for a few people but seems to be ok now. Apologies - bonk

======================================

I've just seen a blog post (forgot where) that facebook is blocked in the UAE. http://www.facebook.com/ is still ok for me but http://www.facebook.com/home.php is blocked, and the local radio station is getting messages from people saying it's blocked.

1. If you can still access it, I'd suggest you back up your account before it does get stuffed by SaladCrap. Assuming you can (I don't know if you can back up?).

2. Set up a blog at www.blogspot.com (it's easy).

3. Put a message on your facebook homepage redirecting visitors to your blogspot website.

4. Then at least any lost visitors will still find your latest update - post on blogspot.

One PITA is that blogspot have just relaunched in Arabic for the UAE, so if you can't read Arabic, it may be a bit tricky signing up (I couldn't find an English version - they obviously check your IP for which country you're browsing from). Try signing up to gmail, and then starting a blog account once you're logged in (google owns blogger.com/blogspot.com).

Alternatively, use a different online blog website provider.

Good luck, and if facebook doesn't get blocked, all the better. But it doesn't look good for the UAE.

PS - if I sound a bit unfamiliar with facebook, that's because I don't use it, I just have a vague idea of the general principal :).

bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 03, 2008
I've still got access. I'd suggest that it's only affecting those on Etisalat. I'm in a Du area and have no issues whatsoever.

Also, if they have blocked face book, I'd suggest it's time to set up a VPN so you can once and for all get around the sensibility police and access all areas of the internet.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
Please refer to the IT section for solution.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.ph ... 939#213939
guest999

Feb 03, 2008
I am on Etisalat at work and it is accessible here
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:I am on Etisalat at work and it is accessible here

It was never blocked for me.. i'm on etisalat as well
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 03, 2008
mines ok too. :shock:
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2008
Could be a false alarm. Sorry :oops: . The page that was blocked is accessible now for me.

Maybe related to ships cutting internet cables in the region?
bonk

Re: Facebook blocked in the UAE Feb 03, 2008
bonk wrote:I've just seen a blog post (forgot where) that facebook is blocked in the UAE. http://www.facebook.com/ is still ok for me but http://www.facebook.com/home.php is blocked, and the local radio station is getting messages from people saying it's blocked.

1. If you can still access it, I'd suggest you back up your account before it does get stuffed by SaladCrap. Assuming you can (I don't know if you can back up?).

2. Set up a blog at www.blogspot.com (it's easy).

3. Put a message on your facebook homepage redirecting visitors to your blogspot website.

4. Then at least any lost visitors will still find your latest update - post on blogspot.

One PITA is that blogspot have just relaunched in Arabic for the UAE, so if you can't read Arabic, it may be a bit tricky signing up (I couldn't find an English version - they obviously check your IP for which country you're browsing from). Try signing up to gmail, and then starting a blog account once you're logged in (google owns blogger.com/blogspot.com).

Alternatively, use a different online blog website provider.

Good luck, and if facebook doesn't get blocked, all the better. But it doesn't look good for the UAE.

PS - if I sound a bit unfamiliar with facebook, that's because I don't use it, I just have a vague idea of the general principal :).

Seems to me that you're a little biased to blogspot.com. I mean you've mentioned them more than once and even posted a link.

You must be working for them then.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Facebook blocked in the UAE Feb 04, 2008
craigindubai wrote:Seems to me that you're a little biased to blogspot.com. I mean you've mentioned them more than once and even posted a link.

You must be working for them then.

Ha ha. Very good :mrgreen:.

And since you reposted the links, and the facebook ones, I guess you're working there too ;) ?
bonk

Feb 04, 2008
has it been unblocked since this discussion was started? i am getting it just fine.... none of that irritating 'site blocked' stuff....
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 04, 2008
SparHawk wrote:has it been unblocked since this discussion was started? i am getting it just fine.... none of that irritating 'site blocked' stuff....

I just think that Bonk is on blogspot's payroll.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:I just think that Bonk is on blogspot's payroll.

I'm working there just to get information so I can set up bonkspot. Don't tell them though, or I'll probably get fired :).
bonk

Feb 04, 2008
bonk wrote:
Dubaidude007 wrote:I just think that Bonk is on blogspot's payroll.

I'm working there just to get information so I can set up bonkspot. Don't tell them though, or I'll probably get fired :).

I will keep quite only if you cut me in when you sell Bonkspot to google for millions :)
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 05, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:I will keep quite only if you cut me in when you sell Bonkspot to google for millions :)

Ah, you drive a hard bargain ;).

I'm also hoping to develop facebonk ... :)
bonk

Etisalat taps into Facebook demand May 22, 2008
UAE telecom operator Etisalat has launched a Weyak MMS software application for users of the social networking web site, Facebook. The application allows Etisalat customers to upload photos to their Facebook profiles using MMS, which is a first for the region.

Khalifa Al Shamsi, chief marketing officer, Etisalat, said: "Facebook is one of the most popular websites in cyberspace with a large number of users who frequent it in the UAE. This is why we have developed this application to create a service, which helps our customers to make the most of their Facebook profiles.

"By using the Weyak MMS for the Facebook Platform, everyone in the UAE can now keep their friends and family updated at all times with what they are doing or how they are feeling."

To start using this new service, customers have to add a Weyak application to their page on Facebook by visiting this URL at http://apps.facebook.com/weyakmms/ . Users then have to enter their mobile phone number in order to receive a verification token. The application will then appear on the Facebook homepage. To upload a photo, users send an MMS to facebook@weyak.aeThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it from their mobile phone.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/518256-e ... ook-demand
thegreyswan
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 18, 2008
mine is ok :P
armadalake
Dubai Forum Visitor

facebook issues Nov 24, 2008
people are having issues connecting to the facebook site for the past 2 days. The website works after like 5-10 tries, it freezes often and it seems to be an etisalat issue not a facebook issue.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Facebook blocked in the UAE Dec 09, 2008
I'm really shocked and appalled at all the blockages by this ISP.
Are there any other ISPs? If not hopefully some competitors will start up.
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Facebook blocked in the UAE Dec 10, 2008
compevo wrote:Are there any other ISPs? If not hopefully some competitors will start up.

Du, but the blocking policy is decided by the telecom regulator, not the ISP providers.
bonk

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk