Renting Car Without Taking The Passport.

Topic locked
Renting car without taking the passport. Apr 30, 2008
Does anybody know a place in Sharjah (also Dubai, IF Sharjah is impossible) where I can rent a car WITHOUT asking about holding the passport? As far as I know, and according to the embassy, it is illegal to hold a passport from anyone under any circumstances here in UAE. How come the places I've been to DEMAND to hold the passport during the time we are renting the car; is this some kind of joke? I asked all the renting cars stores in the streets of Sharjah besides Mega Mall.

So if there is anyone knowing some kind of "serious" place taking the law for real and wish to rent a car for good price, then please let me know!

We are looking for a price for maximum 70dhs per day, for two weeks starting on 6th of June. It's ok the car is from 2006 and up.

Burken
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2008
Hi,

I have always used Thrifty, and then never hold my passport. They just make a copy.
ET
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 01, 2008
Thrifty doesn't hold, but needs a copy which you can take along, as well as a credit card I believe. The problem with them is that they are expensive, won't deliver the car, and usually has no cars at some of their branches anyway, making you run around branches by taxi unless you don't DEMAND a car be sent to the branch nearest to you.

All the small-time crappers want to hold your passport, but I managed to find a small one in Karama that didn't want it, called Blue Diamond or something near Karama Centre (look for ad in classified). Cheaper, some new cars, and free delivery to nearby places.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 02, 2008
Thank you all for all the tips!
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

May 02, 2008
Blue Diamond is good and so is Car Fare

:wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 04, 2008
so about how much for a taxi from dubai over to downtown abu dhabi? any rough ballpark number appreciated :)
jwvgoethe
Dubai Forum User

May 06, 2008
That will cost you a lot. around 150 dhms. I guess.
albertacucci
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat