Salaries - A Joke?

Topic locked
Re: Thank U Mar 19, 2008
quatroporte wrote:
tasmanian wrote:Hey everyone thanks for all the comments...will try to bargain with the company for more..hopefully they will want to give..

the offer you got... is very low for a family.

I get more than your offer and I can hardly save any dirham... and I am a single!!!!

Live with your parents :lol:

MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 22, 2008
quatroporte - Then I guess a newbie coming to Dubai can only dream about getting a descent job and salary here from now on. Guess people had to be here in the beggining to enjoy the fun. Or they should have some kind of wasta.

I just need to tell you people about the lamest offer I got the other day. I have been working and studying computers. I am a PC-technician in Sweden, been working with it in two years and I study a Bachelor of science programme. I am not coming here looking for a job that even a five year old kid can handle, you know what I mean?

So I met this man offering me a job as a secretary getting 1500dhs per month. He read my CV and skills, but still offered that crap. And this was in Dubai. He said that he MIGHT be increasing my salary with time, maybe to even 3000dhs per month! I was like WOW, really?! Oh please, this is the best offer I ever got!

And the funny part of all this, I was going to be his "secretary" but doing all the technician stuff I usually can handle and work with. What a f****ing joke.
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 22, 2008
Burken wrote:quatroporte - Then I guess a newbie coming to Dubai can only dream about getting a descent job and salary here from now on. Guess people had to be here in the beggining to enjoy the fun. Or they should have some kind of wasta.

I just need to tell you people about the lamest offer I got the other day. I have been working and studying computers. I am a PC-technician in Sweden, been working with it in two years and I study a Bachelor of science programme. I am not coming here looking for a job that even a five year old kid can handle, you know what I mean?

So I met this man offering me a job as a secretary getting 1500dhs per month. He read my CV and skills, but still offered that crap. And this was in Dubai. He said that he MIGHT be increasing my salary with time, maybe to even 3000dhs per month! I was like WOW, really?! Oh please, this is the best offer I ever got!

And the funny part of all this, I was going to be his "secretary" but doing all the technician stuff I usually can handle and work with. What a f****ing joke.

Burken, I sure understand your frustration. But the key words in your case would be Patience and Placement. You have to place your resume at the right places in the market and be patient for a good call. Another interesting thing that I read from your posts, If you are looking for a Techie job, why would you apply for a drivers position? Apply for positions that matches your skills. If you think there are no jobs available in the market for your skills, well hardluck. Dubai isnt paradise mate... its just another place on earth. You can find your kinda jobs elsewhere.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 22, 2008
If I remember correctly, you are from Sweden. Dude, go back! This place is awful for making money in less-than-managerial positions. Don't believe the PR hype about Dubai.

Burken wrote:quatroporte - Then I guess a newbie coming to Dubai can only dream about getting a descent job and salary here from now on. Guess people had to be here in the beggining to enjoy the fun. Or they should have some kind of wasta.

gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 22, 2008
St.Lucifer - You are right. Being patient is the key, I guess. The examples I gave was not about me. It's about people I know here and the adds I read on the papers looking for people like that.

gtmash - I'm with you. Sweden is thousands times better than UAE, from what I've learned now. You are very right, we need to get rid of the hype people thinking about this country. Sure it was paradise before maybe, but now.. hm hm.
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2008
Burken wrote:St.Lucifer - You are right. Being patient is the key, I guess. The examples I gave was not about me. It's about people I know here and the adds I read on the papers looking for people like that.

gtmash - I'm with you. Sweden is thousands times better than UAE, from what I've learned now. You are very right, we need to get rid of the hype people thinking about this country. Sure it was paradise before maybe, but now.. hm hm.

Hey mate

there is nothing wrong with this country... infact you can make money more than any other place... you are in the IT field as I am and trust me there are so much opportunities here for professionals (given you need to be patient, search in the right place and some luck)

for you to have a good offer in Dubai, you need experience in order to enjoy one of those Dubai-Golden offers ;) (if you know what I mean)

if you are a new graduate, you can start with an entry level job (but hey please note the minimum entry-level salary for a graduate in IT is AED 7000/m) and usually good companies will offer the same and provide accommodation or a salary upto 12000/m for an entry job in IT. and if you are lucky you may get above entry offer, which means a better offer.

don't give up your search, it is worth it...

and I will be happy to assist you or anyone to send your CV to any of my contacts or even in the hotel I work for :) just PM me your email
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 25, 2008

Hi Burken,

Finding the right job is stressful and sometimes depressing. Please don't get me wrong. I wonder why that man offer you a secreterial job where in fact you are an IT professional. I will surely feel insulted and will really take offense for what he has done.

Did you ever wonder why you get this kind of responses? Maybe you need to go back to your CV and have it assessed? Are the skills stated in your CV matches their requirements? How do you send your CV? Is it targetted or general? How about interviews? Remember interview is not just selling yourself but providing answers & solutions to what the company require.

I really enjoy the interview part though my ears would like to bleed at times hearing british accent. :D

As per my experience on job hunting, I have tried sending my CV to one of the master developers in Dubai since my current employment contract will be expiring soon, modesty aside, I received a call in less than a week for an interview. Right now, I am holding and still accessing their second revised job offer. And yes, it is okay to decline an offer but make sure to make it sound you need more & that you are negotiating. :D

Most companies I have encountered will not mind exceeding the budget so long they feel you are the "answers to their prayers and you are the solution to their problem." Remember, be confident and negotiate at par.

Best of luck, Burken.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2008
insightful conversation. my take away from it: come with cash
jwvgoethe
Dubai Forum User

Mar 25, 2008
jwvgoethe wrote:insightful conversation. my take away from it: come with cash

Or negotiate a better deal in the first place!
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat