200 Car Pile Up En Rotue To Abu Dabi...

Topic locked
Mar 13, 2008
bonk - blinking yellow lights means some sh*t went down, stop or slow down or keep your distance..... be that a crash, fog, an animal crossing the road, anything.

if you see hazards, you act accordingly, if they're stationary you stop, if they're moving you have the choice of indicating and moving off that lane, or putting your hazards on AND STICKING TO YOUR LANE (that is imperitive)

if the hazards are on and someone tail ends you, its the 2nd parties fault.

bonk,
the law above is fedral australian traffic law, proven to be perfectly safe, and is the law that MAKES SENSE... anyone that thinks it doesnt make sense must question their logic

gulf news quoted some police official, this quote wasnt mentioned in the cause of the accident in the national newspaper... nor were hazards mentioned.

i think this is case closed.

ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
sage & onion wrote:Once more, it is simple, all drivers obey the same set of rules and we may stay alive longer.
Those of you who want to make it up as you go along only serve to endanger your own and more importantly other peoples lives.

Correct, therefore I propose the only people allowed to participate in the remainder of this discussion are people who have never had a fine for a traffic infringement of any nature.

Otherwise you know, it would be hypocrisy.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 13, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Once more, it is simple, all drivers obey the same set of rules and we may stay alive longer.
Those of you who want to make it up as you go along only serve to endanger your own and more importantly other peoples lives.

Correct, therefore I propose the only people allowed to participate in the remainder of this discussion are people who have never had a fine for a traffic infringement of any nature.

Otherwise you know, it would be hypocrisy.

agreed, dont argue with rating one drivers.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
think of when an oversized vehicle carrying an oversized load is moving, sometimes a small truck moves behind it, WITH ITS HAZARDS ON, with a sign on the back in bright yellow saying OVERSIZED

its hazards are on - and its moving.

now whats up
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
Not having a mandatory rear fog lamp requirement has resulted in Australia creating the world-unique allowance of using a vehicles hazard-warning lights when - ‘driving under under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility’.

I think the key here is "unique". I'm not sure that because one of the least densely populated places on earth adopts a policy that it should automatically be assumed to be correct or appropriate worldwide. Seriously, there's 5 people living in australia, am I supposed to think that they know better than the 7 billion elsewhere.???
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008
john smith wrote:
Not having a mandatory rear fog lamp requirement has resulted in Australia creating the world-unique allowance of using a vehicles hazard-warning lights when - ‘driving under under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility’.

I think the key here is "unique". I'm not sure that because one of the least densely populated places on earth adopts a policy that it should automatically be assumed to be correct or appropriate worldwide. Seriously, there's 5 people living in australia, am I supposed to think that they know better than the 7 billion elsewhere.???

If they're Australians then the obvious answer is 'Yes'.

Duh!
^ian^

Mar 13, 2008
john smith wrote:

mr smith, it makes sense and that is the bottom line.... anything else makes no sense, if you dont believe this, there's fundamentally something wrong with you, and its no wonder you're no aussie. :lol: :lol:

7 billion, a few billion of them live in asia, africa, south america - that are deemed instant disqualification.

in 2004, australia had the third least road fatality rate of a population over 20 million, 3rd to germany and japan.

germans are the worlds best drivers, thats a given... and the japanese are unbelievably sophisticated and disciplined.

it clocked in 12th on a global scale, but all the populations that precede it other than japan and germany are no more than 16 million (netherlands) - then its a sharp drop to 4's and 5 million each (places like iceland - lol)

so maybe if the rest of the world follows suite they may save some lives, BECAUSE IT MAKES SENSE!!
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
At the end of the day, my heart goes out to all those families that have been maimed by this awful tragedy. It really does.

Far too often, it takes something like this catastrophy and the subsequent death/ injury/ inconvenience of someone "high up the food chain" [I think you know what I mean :roll: ] for things to change.

The most difficult thing to change is peoples' behaviour.

The only people who will have been REALLY altered by this pile-up will be the drivers and passengers who were involved. Doubtless they will travel more safely, leave bigger gaps between car and trvel more slowly in poor driving conditions. BECAUSE theyu have seen at first hand what the dreadful consequences can be.

Please please please ALL of us can learn from this.

Nuff said..........
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 13, 2008
g00se wrote:At the end of the day, my heart goes out to all those families that have been maimed by this awful tragedy. It really does.

Far too often, it takes something like this catastrophy and the subsequent death/ injury/ inconvenience of someone "high up the food chain" [I think you know what I mean :roll: ] for things to change.

The most difficult thing to change is peoples' behaviour.

The only people who will have been REALLY altered by this pile-up will be the drivers and passengers who were involved. Doubtless they will travel more safely, leave bigger gaps between car and trvel more slowly in poor driving conditions. BECAUSE theyu have seen at first hand what the dreadful consequences can be.

Please please please ALL of us can learn from this.

Nuff said..........

Yes indeed, we can all learn from this pile-up incident. Though it will surely take time to change people's behaviour about driving, one needs to be vigilantly attentive everytime while on the road.

This qoute says a lot......
Cars don’t kill... ignorant drivers do!
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 13, 2008
Ebonics, you've consistently through this thread proved that you are too stupid to understand or form a coherent argument. The fact that only 1 country worldwide advocates what you are saying completely floors your pathetic argument. Australia's a great country, I've spent some great times there - BUT from my personal viewpoint I would say that the standard of driving is no better than most places. Certainly tailgating and aggressive driving are pretty much the norm (would you agree?). If the accident rate is lower than other countries it is probably in large part due to having pretty good weather (not much ice, snow, fog rain), good roads, reasonable congestion levels etc.

In the UK where driving standards are generally ok (on a par with most european countries I would guess but also with a liberal helping of idiots) people do not use hazard lights when in fog. In fact I would say that it wouldn't be uncommon for only 50% of people to have their foglights on (due to forgetfulness, ignorance, drifting fog etc) and in daytime you would regularly see cars in fog with no lights on. I'm not advocating this and clearly it is wrong BUT the reason I don't crash into these people is that I regulate my speed and keep a safe distance from the car in front. It is this and this alone that is the most significant thing in avoiding accidents. Hazard lights should be used to warn of an impending hazard i.e stationary cars, (or in your earlier case - vehicles travelling at disproportionally low speeds compared to other vehicles on the road) accidents, breakdowns etc. They are not an extra form of visibility and would not be needed as such if people were driving correctly.

I'm not claiming to be the best driver in the world, but I've covered several hundred thousand miles on 4 wheels and 2, all over the world and this is the only place I've seen people using hazards in rain, fog etc and it's totally unnecessary and borne of ignorance and poor training.

I would like to see more people learning to ride motorbikes before they drive cars - I believe this truly teaches you observation and roadcraft (due to the need to preserve your own safety) and helps you become a safer and more aware driver.

I also think that everyone in the UAE should be required to take a driving test (no need for lessons unless you fail) before getting a local licence, BUT of course this would be logistically very difficult and would probably be impossible to coordinate.

Interestingly, I now find myself turning into a 'dubai' driver. I drive much closer to other vehicles than I used to (you have to cos they ain't getting out of the way otherwise) and regularly undertaking (when people won't move out of the inside lanes). Hopefully I will lose these habits one day and not get killed before hand.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008
john smith wrote:Ebonics, you've consistently through this thread proved that you are too stupid to understand or form a coherent argument. The fact that only 1 country worldwide advocates what you are saying completely floors your pathetic argument. Australia's a great country, I've spent some great times there - BUT from my personal viewpoint I would say that the standard of driving is no better than most places. Certainly tailgating and aggressive driving are pretty much the norm (would you agree?).

not at all - unless you visited northern territory

the fact that this country is the 3rd best when it comes to road tolls for countries populated over 20 million - proves it

the fact that overloaded vehicles are tailed and fronted by 2 other vehicles with hazard lights, through out their journey be it stationary or moving, further proves that if there is a possible hazard, hazard lights are what you'd use to signal it

till fog lights are a requirement on all vehicles, common sense prevails, you clearly have none.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
See - you are too stupid to understand.

I said I agreed that with a heavy load moving disproportionately slow compared with other vehicles on the road then hazard lights are appropriate. This is not the discussion.

Fog is not a hazard per se, it is perfectly possible to drive in fog at reasonable speeds in perfect safety using only normal lighting, fog lights and even no lights as long as you travel at a sensible speed and a sensible stopping distance.

You would only use your hazard lights to warn the vehicle behind about an approaching hazard.

If you are driving along at 80km/hr in fog with no problems at all with your hazard lights flashing, how do you plan to warn the vehicle behind you in the unlikely event that there is an incident in front of you???

Seriously, I suggest less time spent on the internet (10 posts per day - you need to get out more) and more time thinking about you're inadequate driving standard.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008
fog with visibility of 15meters ahead of you (which was the case), and you say you'd be capable of driving at 80 km/hr?

and you're calling me stupid?

the argument is - do not use hazards whilst moving, if construction vehicles are its quite contradictory to tell other vehicles not to, a vehicle is a vehicle.

fog is deemed a hazard, but according to what you're saying, if ur driving at 80 km/hr through fog, and saying fog is no hazard - you're a hazard yourself.

are you jealous of my freedom of work - so you have to comment on my posts?
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
ebonics wrote:bonk - blinking yellow lights means some sh*t went down, stop or slow down or keep your distance..... be that a crash, fog, an animal crossing the road, anything.

You've almost got it. Well done.

Yes hazard lights warn you something happened that you may not be aware of. If you need someone to switch on their hazard lights to warn you that it's foggy, then with all due respect, I don't think you should be driving at all, and I don't really think hazard lights will enlighten drivers who are unaware that it's foggy or raining.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 13, 2008
ebonics wrote:germans are the worlds best drivers, thats a given... and the japanese are unbelievably sophisticated and disciplined.

And they don't use hazard lights during normal driving in fog. They use them correctly.
bonk

Mar 13, 2008
john smith wrote:If you are driving along at 80km/hr in fog with no problems at all with your hazard lights flashing, how do you plan to warn the vehicle behind you in the unlikely event that there is an incident in front of you???

Yup. A question that the hazard light users have failed to answer satisfactorily, or even tried to.

Brake lights is not an answer - they inform the follower the car in front is slowing down or stopping, not that a hazard has suddenly appeared. Perceptive drivers may notice smoke from locked up wheels (difficult in fog), or hear the noise if they are driving with windows open (another useful suggestion when driving in fog).
bonk

Mar 13, 2008
ebonics wrote:bonk,
the law above is fedral australian traffic law, proven to be perfectly safe, and is the law that MAKES SENSE... anyone that thinks it doesnt make sense must question their logic

So it is. Apparently it became permitted (note the law doesn't say it's required to use hazard lights) if vehicles did not have fog lights, after a major pile up in 1980-something. I can't find any other country that allows this though so it sounds like Australia is unique with this permission.

A slight difference can be found in the Queensland version...

Bad weather (e.g. rain, fog, dust)

Only use your hazard lights if you are driving in hazardous weather conditions and you are driving slowly and likely to obstruct other vehicles, or your vehicle is stopped and is obstructing the path of other vehicles or pedestrians.

One country says you may use hazard lights in fog if you don't have fog lights.
Most or all other countries say do not use hazard lights when driving in fog.

I still think most other countries are correct.
bonk

Mar 13, 2008
I don't care anymore. I've never had an accident or any traffic violations in the 5 years I've been here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 13, 2008
- use normal yellow light or fog lights
- choose proper speed i.e braking distance should not exceed distance of visibilty
- define hidden in the fog objects/cars/camels by looking out for objects of lighter tones, as they are less visible normally
- open windows and listen
-keep to your lane
- use wipers
- put your favourite CD and make it loud so people can hear you if not see you ...

these are general rules that I follow and thanks God, no accidents so far .. :) .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 13, 2008
JMK wrote:- open windows and listen

- put your favourite CD and make it loud so people can hear you if not see you ...

?
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
ebonics wrote:
JMK wrote:- open windows and listen

?

that is when you are tired of listening .. :) ..
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 13, 2008
common ebonics, cut me some slack I am just a silly woman with lipstick in one hand and steering wheel in another ... :) .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 13, 2008
JMK wrote:common ebonics, cut me some slack I am just a silly woman with lipstick in one hand and steering wheel in another ... :) .

you dont need to win me over with that, just a smile and a wink the police man and it will all be fine im sure.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 13, 2008
bonk wrote:
ebonics wrote:
A slight difference can be found in the Queensland version...

Bad weather (e.g. rain, fog, dust)

Only use your hazard lights if you are driving in hazardous weather conditions and you are driving slowly and likely to obstruct other vehicles, or your vehicle is stopped and is obstructing the path of other vehicles or pedestrians.

Talk about beating a dead horse! I have not been in this argument as much as others. I like and subscribe to the above quote. Driving in bad conditions and there is one car with hazards, you know they are the risk. If everyone has them on, then it kinda defeats the purpose.

Game on...it's Thursday night..what are you all doing? I'm heading out with my fog lights and hazards on (in clear conditions) just to throw a real spanner in the works.

Oh yeah, an addendum to the above quote...don't be in the fast track doing 20 kph with the hazards on.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
as i received my first parking ticket this week i can make no comment

:cry: :cry:
arniegang

Mar 19, 2008
lol 200 car pile up serves them right bunch of frigging idiots.

i bet it was some bus driver or a truck driver or them twin cam vans that caused this accident.

they should ban buses, trucks and even them vans from the main public roads. buses travel at the speed of 120km/h on emirates road :S. and those delivery vans are blooody QUICK they touch 160km/h easily.

i say BAN them all. and the worst thing is those stupid MALLLU van drives drive in the blooody FAST lane :S which blooody cheeeses me off.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2008
the conclusive evidence is oil spill on the road - end this topic.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 19, 2008
rudeboy wrote:lol 200 car pile up serves them right bunch of frigging idiots.

i bet it was some bus driver or a truck driver or them twin cam vans that caused this accident.

they should ban buses, trucks and even them vans from the main public roads. buses travel at the speed of 120km/h on emirates road :S. and those delivery vans are blooody QUICK they touch 160km/h easily.

i say BAN them all. and the worst thing is those stupid MALLLU van drives drive in the blooody FAST lane :S which blooody cheeeses me off.

my friend who works in the police (specifically emirates road patrol) he told me all the major accidents happens on Emirates road are caused when an indian driver (usually malluuuu) driving so slow on the fast lane meets with a careless speeding driver!!!!

slow maluuu + careless speeding driver = Accident!

no offence to Maluuus... but my police friend DID specify them by name as well :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
What is a Maluuus???????????????????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 19, 2008
was going to ask the same thing
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat