Freelance Photgographer/writer Considering A Move To Dubai.

Topic locked
Freelance photgographer/writer considering a move to Dubai. Mar 17, 2008
But I can't seem to find much information about I'd need to know as a freelancer wanting to work in Dubai.

UK passport holder (if it makes any difference)

Any pointers would be gratefully received

Hambone Slim
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 17, 2008
Please study the market compelety before you make any moves.

As long as I know (I'm not sure, find about it properly) the photographer salaries are the lowest in the media/advertising industry here. so I dont think freelancing would do you any good.

and you need to be hired by a company to get a working visa or start you own business (like leasing an office in Media city - which might take long)
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 17, 2008
Working freelance here is very very difficult!

You have to have a visa. As has been said, you could register yourself as a company through Media City and get a visa that way, but finding regular work could be a challenge.

Most of the publishing houses here all have their own in-house photographers, as do the agencies.

You could try contacting the guys at www.scorpiondubai.com to ask how the photogs on their books operate.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies and the link. The stuff I do is much less glamorous than Scorpion and the writing is an integral part, but no doubt the same rules apply.

Seems like registering a company would be the way to go but I'll pay you a visit and talk to a few people before I make any decisions.
Hambone Slim
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 19, 2008
Once again with the writing, as I do some freelance writing here, but very few people are able to. All have regular jobs and do it on the side, or are employed by the publishing houses.

You could try contacting Motivate Publishing, ITP or Gulf News and ask how they deal with freelancers.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Once again with the writing, as I do some freelance writing here, but very few people are able to. All have regular jobs and do it on the side, or are employed by the publishing houses.

You could try contacting Motivate Publishing, ITP or Gulf News and ask how they deal with freelancers.

Be careful Chocs someone here (we know who) might report you for illegal activity...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2008
Hi there,

I am moving to Dubai in May and have already done a little research on the topic.

Dubai Media City has a 'Media Business Centre' where you can work as a freelance professional if you provide the necessary sponsorship and paperwork.

You can get a freelance permit and 'hot desk' space if you fall under one of the various freelance categories, which basically includes artists, editors, directors, writers, engineers, producers, photographers/camera operators and techs in the fields of film, TV, music radio or print media.

The permit includes a residence visa and access to 10 shared work stations. You'll also get to use a shared PO Box address and fax line.

You must spend a minimum of three hours per week at the hot desk, but no more than three hours per day.

You need: Business plan, CV, Bank ref letter, portfolio/work samples, Passport copy

It costs [and this is the sticky bit for me!]: Dhs 5000 security deposit [refundable], Dhs 5000 joining fee [one off payment], Dhs 8000 annual permit fee, Dhs 4000 annual membership fee and Dhs 1500 annual employee sponsorship fee.

Contact www.dubaimediacity.com [or call 391 4555] for more info.

So I guess if you're prepared to shell over three grand ... :wink:
sarahjane
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 25, 2008
Concord wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Once again with the writing, as I do some freelance writing here, but very few people are able to. All have regular jobs and do it on the side, or are employed by the publishing houses.

Be careful Chocs someone here (we know who) might report you for illegal activity...

Concs, most media companies allow their staff to do some work on the side, so long as it's not a conflict of interest. That's why all the radio jocks do voiceovers, djing, mcing, writing etc. It's the norm.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum