Topic locked
Skype Feb 04, 2008
Not sure if I'm askin a question that's already been answered here, but what the hell.

Cannot access the skype website. No downloads. Nuffin.

Any advice to a techie know-nothin, who wants to reduce call charges back to UK, US, Oz etc ? [i did use previously the windows messenger and their video conferencing. was fine, but always falling over]

Tnx fellas. :?:

g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 04, 2008
Not available on Etisalat
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 04, 2008
Also could not download it the other day for a friend on the Du network. I think the cables being damaged has got something to do with it.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2008
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 04, 2008
wont load at the min.
free landline calls to anywere in the world tho.
worth it 8)
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 04, 2008
landline calls aren't free, costs me 0.017 euros a min to call people in the uk and spain. Skype-skype call are free however and the sound quality is better when you do this compared to calling the landline.
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 04, 2008
DDastardly wrote:landline calls aren't free, costs me 0.017 euros a min to call people in the uk and spain. Skype-skype call are free however and the sound quality is better when you do this compared to calling the landline.

hello mate...need to talk to you bout the gym at some point....

my voipstunt is always free...are you putting in the + before numbers??
sorry if im being patronizing.
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 05, 2008
i am yeah mate just the way skype is.

Ref gym think i'll probably end up going the fitness first at IBN Battuta mall. All the decent bodybuilding gyms i've found are miles away and just not pheasable to commute to
DDastardly
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 06, 2008
Hi,I was using skype to talk to my fiance in Dubai(I'm in the UK)before they screwed the service up.Now we use Google Talk and the sound is perfect.Also I believe you can ring your friends in the UK(with skype) by using your computer and they would have an internet phone hooked up with no need for a computer,just an internet feed.
Alex1111
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 11, 2008
hey all,

its been long since i ve been around.

hmm .. so skype & proxy seems to be the only surviving problem of all

i could figure you guys a way out from this but its gonna cost me some bandwidth & no financial benefit, lol.

so what do you guys think...
how about fast, unlimited, unblocked proxy within dubai for some fees? may be a buck or 2
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Feb 11, 2008
ahamed wrote:hey all,

its been long since i ve been around.

hmm .. so skype & proxy seems to be the only surviving problem of all

i could figure you guys a way out from this but its gonna cost me some bandwidth & no financial benefit, lol.

so what do you guys think...
how about fast, unlimited, unblocked proxy within dubai for some fees? may be a buck or 2

Dude WB:D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Unblock Skype in Dubai with Witopia personnalVPN May 28, 2008
Hello,

After travelling in Dubai (UAE) and in China, I found a software that unblock Skype and censored contents in some countries.

I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

After searching internet, I found a way to make calls and to access censored content in those countries using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

How does it works ?

A VPN encrypte the data you send on internet to a US IP adress (tunnel). This way your Internet Services Provider can't detect you are using Skype or another VoIP software ! It allow you access to censored content and geographical locked contents (i.e: listening radio on pandora.com , watching TV streams for US residents, ...).

There is a lot of VPN softwares, the first I tried was VPNaccounts. I didn't like it because it took a lot of time for activation, it was expensive and helpdesk support was very slow.

A friend of mine who lives in Belize told me about another VPN software called Witopia personnalVPN.

Now I am using Witopia personnalVPN. It is easier to use (you just have to launch the software before launching Skype), faster and cheaper than all other VPN softwares I tried.

It costs 39.99$ and works perfectly.

You can download it from the editor's website : Witopia personnalVPN

Works on Windows and Mac.

I hope this post will help people who are in those countries and reducing censorship !

Contact me if you need more information : info@helpnote.net
donaldf
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk